Mayor McCheese

Re: Recommendations for a basic Wok and an entry level book on stir fry

Post by Citizen Baba » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 am

Was he the guy on "Wok's Happening"?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:33 am

As for the cookbook part of Moe's question, I don't know any general Asian cookbooks (though I guess there are some). Mine are by country. How to Cook Everything s a good start.

Eighty-percent of making good Asian food is obtaining the right ingredients. If you have a giant Asian supermarket near you, that should do the trick.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:44 am

Citizen Baba wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:31 am
Was he the guy on "Wok's Happening"?
No idea.
There's gotta be titles out there somewhere like "Wok on the Wild Side" and "Wok This Way"

There are already chains like Wok Inn and Wok & Roll.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:51 pm

I'd just buy the cheapest wok from an Asian supermarket. It's what Chinese restaurants use.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:15 pm

I have a non stick wok. It's great for carmelizing the cauliflower rice stuff to make fake fried rice and super easy to clean.

Do you want to be a slave to your stupid wok, endlessly seasoning it and pampering it? In half a dozen years, my $29 non stick wok has done well across hundreds of complex uses and looks to have another half a dozen years left on it.

I also recco looking at an electric wok with a temperature reading. Then you can make every last thing in any Fuchsia Dunlop book without second guessing. Obviously, get a non stick electric wok.

You can actually live with nothing else but an electric wok. I have seen many an old bastard in SEA do it. You can even bake passable bread in it, do hot pots, make perfect pho.

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:35 pm

get a wooden handled carbon steel wok and season it well with flaxseed oil (found in your local healthfood store's fridge)..

just keep seasoning a few times, and then again every now and again during its lifetime, which should be a lifetime.

and never use detergent, just use boiling water and a light scrubbing brush to clean..

you're totally gunna need gas too, did someone mention that?

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:33 pm

Heat is heat. It goes up and down.

But for woking stuff up, it mostly goes up high and stays there till the end. I can't think of a single wok potentiality where you'd need to turn the wok heat down fast. In which case, you could just take it off the heat.

In Issan, they're making the best wok'd food on earth over an open fire. I don't think that open fire turns up and down.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:38 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:15 pm
Do you want to be a slave to your stupid wok, endlessly seasoning it and pampering it? In half a dozen years, my $29 non stick wok has done well across hundreds of complex uses and looks to have another half a dozen years left on it.
Is there some sort of complicated seasoning cult out there that I'm unaware of? Iron gets seasoned once when it's new, then by cooking with it the seasoning improves without any effort. It's tougher than a lot of people realize.

I've phased out all my teflon pans and don't plan on buying one ever again. That shit just doesn't last.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:54 pm

rider5 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:38 pm
BeatRaven wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:15 pm
Is there some sort of complicated seasoning cult out there that I'm unaware of? Iron gets seasoned once when it's new, then by cooking with it the seasoning improves without any effort. It's tougher than a lot of people realize.

I've phased out all my teflon pans and don't plan on buying one ever again. That shit just doesn't last.
What he said.

Meanwhile I see you can get indiction hotplates designed for woks. Has anybody trued that?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Think you need to get a gas range, or go with whatever Desertstorm said he used for a flat surface.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:20 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:33 am
Eighty-percent of making good Asian food is obtaining the right ingredients.
agree with this. as many others have said, i think stir-frying works better with a flame, but the cooking part itself is not that big of a deal --- basically a very hot pan and everything keeps moving. what you fry and when you add the ingredients is key.
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"