Chilli Sauce thread..post yours here.

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Chilli Sauce thread..post yours here.

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:27 pm

I love a good chilli sauce, most countries produce their own and whenever I travel I always seek out the local favourites,here's a few from my recent trip to Barbados

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: Chilli Sauce thread..post yours here.

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:28 pm

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:29 pm

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Does anyone know the difference between the red ones and the yellowish ones?

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:45 pm

At a guess, they’re all likely made with Scotch Bonnet but the yellow ones in the Caribbean often have mustard in as well.

I’ve been making sauce with smoked ghost chillies recently. Just a simple roast tomato base, chipotle powder and whole smoked ghost peppers. I think it’s the best I’ve done in ages, I gave up on trying bbq or jerk sauce.

Old pic:

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:49 pm

crikey! did customs look at you funny lincs?

i made a caroluna reaper and habanero and cayenne peppei sauce last summer. used roast peppers as a base. good and hot.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:15 pm

I don't have anything exciting bottled. A few varieties of Tabasco and Sriracha is all I really find around here, other than the local stuff, which isn't very good. I make my own hot sauces fairly often for single uses, like taco night.

The one spicy Filipino condiment I do really like is spicy cane vinegar (Sukang Maanghang in Tagalog). Cane vinegar with bird's eye chilies, black peppercorns, garlic, red onion. You let it all soak for a few days and then use it as a dipping sauce for pretty much anything that you want a bit of tang and heat on.

You'll find a bottle like this in most Filipino restaurants, and I keep one at home as well.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Yum to all of these.

EMG, I have a "Philippino breakfast" recipe that calls for some of that vinegar with chilies in it. They just say to put some chillies in vinegar, didn't mention the garlic/peppercorns/red onions, or that it should be cane vinegar. But anyway, I've had a little bottle of vinegar with chilies ever since the first time I made it, like 20 years ago. Now I might try adding the other stuff too.

(The recipe is just eggs on some left-over rice stir fried, then season with the vinegar.)
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Yep, we use cane vinegar here, it's much sweeter than other kinds of vinegar. It's actually sometimes hard to find any other kind. I have one bottle that I keep in my cabinet, when the vinegar gets low I fill it back up, then add a few fresh chilies, peppercorns, etc. But as long as you keep topping the bottle off when it's about 1/3 of the way down, it stays pretty flavorful.

Eggs over stirfried rice is called a 'silog' meal. 'Sinangag' is fried rice, 'itlog' is egg, hence: silog. Generally this is served with some kind of meat on the side. So silog with tapas is called tapsilog. Silog with chicken is called chixsilog. Silog with dried fish (tuyo) is tuyosilog.

And yes, the vinegar is usually served on the side for dipping the meat, but I like to drizzle it over my rice.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm impressed you lot make your own,where do you find the time?

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:25 pm

None of the salsas I make take more than like 15-20 minutes of prep, roasting or boiling, and blending.

I believe some of Chi's take significantly more effort.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 pm

I have 3 chillllliey sauces on hand most of the time - Tabasco, Crystal, and Louisiana. Each has their place. I also make various salsas.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:08 pm

I don't use much chili sauce, but I became addicted to this stuff when I went to Belize many years ago:

I always keep Tapatio in my fridge to add a few drops to salad dressings and such.

Things fall apart, it's scientific.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:14 pm

I like Tapatio and Cholula. On the rare occasion that I see them here, I buy a bottle or two.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:19 pm

EMG wrote:Yep, we use cane vinegar here, it's much sweeter than other kinds of vinegar. It's actually sometimes hard to find any other kind. I have one bottle that I keep in my cabinet, when the vinegar gets low I fill it back up, then add a few fresh chilies, peppercorns, etc. But as long as you keep topping the bottle off when it's about 1/3 of the way down, it stays pretty flavorful.

Eggs over stirfried rice is called a 'silog' meal. 'Sinangag' is fried rice, 'itlog' is egg, hence: silog. Generally this is served with some kind of meat on the side. So silog with tapas is called tapsilog. Silog with chicken is called chixsilog. Silog with dried fish (tuyo) is tuyosilog.

And yes, the vinegar is usually served on the side for dipping the meat, but I like to drizzle it over my rice.

That's interesting! I just had silog, no tap, chix, or tuyo.

Yeah, I have always just topped up the vinegar and added a few more chilies so that it's always there. Maybe I"ll try it with rice or cider vinegar, as they're a bit sweeter than the plain white vinegar I've always used.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:23 pm

I have sri racha, tabasco, one I picked up in Mexico a few years ago and keep forgetting about, and a couple that I bought at a market in Costa Rica earlier this year. THey're all good.

lolasf, agree that Marie SHarp is really good. I brought some home both times I went to Belize, and really appreciated that every single restaurant has some on the table.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:29 pm

lolasf wrote:I don't use much chili sauce, but I became addicted to this stuff when I went to Belize many years ago:

I always keep Tapatio in my fridge to add a few drops to salad dressings and such.

I remember those sauces from Belize...i loved them,they offer tours of their factory but we opted to visit their rivals "Hot Mamma's" based near San Ignacio,we had the place to ourselves and the lady that showed us around in 2012 remains an internet friend to this day.

http://www.hotmammasbelize.com

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:40 pm

Scrubb wrote:That's interesting! I just had silog, no tap, chix, or tuyo.

Yeah, I have always just topped up the vinegar and added a few more chilies so that it's always there. Maybe I"ll try it with rice or cider vinegar, as they're a bit sweeter than the plain white vinegar I've always used.

Silog is the breakfast Filipinos eat right before payday when they're skint on cash and can't afford any meat :D

I wonder if you could find cane vinegar there in an Asian grocery store. There are two main brands here: Datu Puti and Silver Swan. They even sell pre-made versions of the spicy vinegar

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:58 pm

I could look for it, but I use it so infrequently that a bottle of either cane vinegar or the pre-made stuff would last me FOREVER. I just use a little spice bottle and I only have to top it up a couple times/year.

Although that's partly because I sort of forgot about it recently, until this thread, so now that I've remembered I'm going to put it in a more obvious spot so I"ll see and use it more.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:15 pm

I had a bit of an existential crisis when I stopped eating meat, as I’d been working on hot sauces to go with chicken, mostly. This new tomato and chipotle one is more of an all rounder.

But since eggs and a carbohydrate is pretty much my go to comfort food now, and I have a rice cooker, I’m going to make that vinegar. In fact, I just did: had a bottle of cider vinegar, some dried habaneros and some garlic in the cupboard. How long do I leave it for?

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:08 pm

If you have any red onion (white would do as well) and black peppercorns, toss a bit of each of those in as well. I've never used dried chiles, but vinegar absorbs the heat quickly. Give it a couple shakes and you can use it in an hour.

It'll be a bit more flavorful after a day or two. Then just keep it topped up. My bottle has been going for like 7 months now.

jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient

Post by jessica_fletcher » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:15 pm

I love Marie Sharps butIt’s not easy to find here. The grapefruit pulp one is amaze.

Chi’s is delicious but I ran out.

I don’t like Tabasco, it’s too vinegary.
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:18 pm

In the spirit of the thread

Here's my very own Sukang Maanghang. About time for a top up on vinegar and chiles.

And here's my two regular Tabasco brands, with backup of each ready to go

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:30 pm

jessica_fletcher wrote:I love Marie Sharps butIt’s not easy to find here. The grapefruit pulp one is amaze.

There's a store called Hot Licks in SF, that carries hot sauces from all over the place. It's on Fisherman's Wharf, which is the heart of tourist world, so I don't find myself in the area very often. I usually stock up when I have a stewbie (or other friend) in town from far away and I take them on a city tour.
http://www.hotlickssauces.com/
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:50 pm

I stopped off at a Hmong market to get some chiles for a batch of that flip vinegar.

They also had crickets and silk worms in the freezer case, which may be the first time I've seen bugs for sale here.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:01 pm

I'm very pleased with you all trying the spicy vinegar.

I'm also pleased that finally a meat eater is going to try it, because that's where it really shines. Dip for sausage, pork belly, chicken, etc.

Then you can take it a step further and mix a splash of your spicy vinegar with a splash of soy sauce. And even a squeeze of lime or calamansi on top of that.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 pm

I’ve added a few black peppercorns, the good ones.

Jess, I’ll send you a bottle of the next batch.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:04 pm

I've had flip vinegar before, as recently as this summer at a filipino restaurant. I like it but for whatever reason I never think about it.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:38 pm

mad hatter wrote:crikey! did customs look at you funny lincs?

Likely, but probably because he smelled like snoop dogg after a binge on really shitty weed. I'm sure the sauces didn't even register.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.
VD wrote:Why are you saying Zzzzzz instead of Zzzzz?

Ledbetter
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ledbetter » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:02 pm

What I have on hand. I like the Iguana sauce a lot.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Reporting back on my cider vinegar, garlic and chilli sauce: the garlic really comes through after a week, the chilli not so much so I’ve added the rest of the bag of dried habanero and some more peppercorns. Now it’s gone dark red and tastes amazing.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 pm

Good to know. As I said, I've never done dried chilies in mine before. The bird's eye chilies I use add heat but not a whole lot of flavor, and no color.

When I add fresh red onions it turns the vinegar a nice pink color.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm

The only off putting thing is that the dried chillies themselves go swollen and bleached like preserved toes.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 pm

...and on further research, fresh birds eye chilli is better in your vinegar. There must be some flavour or heat in fresh chillies that drying takes out.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:24 pm

So you made the real thing now? What have you been using it on?

I had some yesterday with fried chicken and on white rice. It really is an all around condiment.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:25 pm

I bought another bottle of cider vinegar to top up the habanero one, decided to give it a go with an A/B taste test.

I’ve been using the rice cooker my old housemate gave me, the nice Spanish one. So stir fries and eggs.

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Sri Lankan MD chilli sauce. I grew up with the stuff and I put that shit on everything. Image

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:53 am

EMG wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:40 pm
Scrubb wrote: That's interesting! I just had silog, no tap, chix, or tuyo.

Silog is the breakfast Filipinos eat right before payday when they're skint on cash and can't afford any meat :D

I wonder if you could find cane vinegar there in an Asian grocery store. There are two main brands here: Datu Puti and Silver Swan. They even sell pre-made versions of the spicy vinegar

just bought this one (Datu Puti) in a Filipino market. what do you dip in it? probably mostly meats, hunh.

i think i got confused -- regular cane vinegar is the one for salads, right?
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:58 am

I have plans to visit Cholula in January.... TDB post.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:57 am

korgy wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:53 am
just bought this one (Datu Puti) in a Filipino market. what do you dip in it? probably mostly meats, hunh.

i think i got confused -- regular cane vinegar is the one for salads, right?
It’s usually used as a dip for meat but works with many things.

You can either use as is or mix 1:1 parts vinegar and soy sauce

Goes great with roasted eggplant, boiled or grilled okra, etc

Vinegar and soy sauce is also the base of Filipino adobo. I have some recipes in the other vegan thread