Lasagne

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time

Moderator: Moderator

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Lasagne

Post by Klara » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:26 pm

I like it, but I'm not a huge fan. Well, I am now.
I'd made it a few times and it was mostly good, but not to die for. My brother and his girfriend often make it, but while I do like it, I find it way too heavy.

I made lasagne last night because my cooking partner and I couldn't agree on what to make, so it was sort of a compromise.
It was without a doubt the best lasagne I've ever had. Very light but soooo full of flavour. We were not sober by the time it was finished, but I had leftovers for lunch today and I still think it's the best lasagne I've ever had.

We used this recipe, more or less.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4716/creamy-courgette-lasagne
We used fresh lasagna sheets, so we didn't cook them first. We didn't grate courgettes but chopped them. I made my own tomato sauce, but it was fairly minimalistic. We also used gauda instead of cheddar. Wouldn't cheddar be too strong?
It was a thing of beauty. I can't recommend it enough.

But I'd like to hear what kind of lasagne you make, even if it's not vegetarian.

truenic
Stew Ingredient

Re: Lasagne

Post by truenic » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:45 pm

I don't really have a recipe, but I do a roasted vegetable lasagna that works a treat for when we go away somewhere for a few days and I need something to pop in the oven for dinner the first night.

Zucchini, carrots, red pepper, and mushrooms. I use diced roasted red pepper tomatoes for the red sauce, and make a cashew cream bechamel/ricotta for the ricotta/spinach part.

Tastes good, travels well, and is pretty darn good for you.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:11 pm

I don't make it very often but when I do it's mostly free hand. I make a tomato vegetable sauce, and try to have it fairly thick.

I don't remember ever using cheddar - always some mozzarella, and one layer of a ricotta/parmesan mixture (I google for a recipe for that layer - think it often has an egg? Not sure what else, it's been so long since I made it last).

My flavours usually are great - it tastes amazing - but it's often too liquid. The tomato sauce thins out somehow and runs everywhere.

Last time I made one I used that tofu substitute meat product. The texture was better, the the taste wasn't.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Scrubb wrote:My flavours usually are great - it tastes amazing - but it's often too liquid. The tomato sauce thins out somehow and runs everywhere.

Do you use the no boil noodles? I started doing that, and they absorb all the extra liquid and it turns out perfect. My recipe is otherwise a lot like yours, sometimes with meat sauce. I've never used cheddar cheese.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:24 pm

YEah, seems to me I used the no-boil noodles and it was still a bit runny. Possibly I didn't use any tomato paste, though, or at least not enough.

truenic
Stew Ingredient

Post by truenic » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:44 pm

egads-I spelled lasagne with an A! Errr-OK, apparently so do a lot of recipe sites.

I've never had any luck with the no boil. I have the opposite problem-they come out crunchy!
I just usually par boil regular noodles.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:25 am

My husband told me he didn't like lasagne when I first met him. So I didn't make it - wasn't a hardship as I'd hardly ever made it anyway, even though I do like it a lot.

Then one day my mom had us over for supper and made lasagne. When we got home I apologized that he'd had to suffer through it - and he said he'd really liked it. Turned out that when he was growing up his sisters used to make it sometimes, and I guess they didn't make it very well, so he just thought he didn't like it because he'd never had a good one.

He likes mine, too, but I sitll only make it about once every few years. Maybe if I made a really perfect one sometime it would inspire me to make it more often.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:34 am

The last time I made lasagne I made a bunch of it and I think there were 6 small aluminum tins so it was great for freezing and then just throwing in the oven at a later date. I've never heard of cheddar being in lasagne and that sounds terrible. I find it a pain in the ass to make so that's why I was happy to make enough for 6 pans. I gave 3 of them to my mother so she (and her husband) were pretty happy too.

I've not had a lot of success with the no-boil noodles so use the ones that you have to boil. Mine is a pretty traditional recipe with a meat sauce with vegetables and a lot of ricotta cheese and mozzarella on the top.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:06 am

Scrubb wrote:YEah, seems to me I used the no-boil noodles and it was still a bit runny. Possibly I didn't use any tomato paste, though, or at least not enough.

It also depends what kind of mozzarella you use, i suppose. Some types are very watery, and can easily make the end result runny.

I'll stick to bbcgoodfood recipe for the time being, but I'll try different vegetables. One at a time, though. I don't like it when restaurants use several vegetables and you can't taste any of them properly.

Son Of Spooner
Stew Ingredient

Post by Son Of Spooner » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:33 pm

The best lasagne I ever tasted was in an italian restaurant and had thinly sliced aubergine instead of meat layers, delicious.

I think it was called lasagne mellenzane if memory serves.

I don't have a recipe for it, but no doubt there are some to be found on the information superhighway.

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:50 am

I usually like it when I have it, but in contemplation of it it always strikes me as stodgy and boring so I never order it in restaurants and have never made it myself.

Klara yours looks really nice.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:09 am

Im not a fan of lasagne but give me aubergine parmesan any time!
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:19 am

up
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"