CROCKPOT recipes--it's that time of year

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time
Kikilamour
Stew Ingredient

Re: CROCKPOT recipes--it's that time of year

Post by Kikilamour » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:35 pm

jessica_fletcher wrote:I made your soup Kiki!

Its the only thing real I've eaten in days AND I havent puked or shit it out yet!!! (I have bad flu)

its yummy, just what I needed.

ohhh glad to hear it. i had that freaky flu too. are you over it?

jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient

Post by jessica_fletcher » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:27 pm

No! It's been over 2 weeks and I'm still snotty and my ear Is blocked. I also had a bad tummy today too! This fucker is never going away. Its just awful, I think the Queen has it. She might die, maybe I should send soup?
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Unless you want Charles as your king you need to send her soup asap!
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:19 am

So I know it's nearly summer here, but I'm tired of club/delivery/pizza etc. during the week and I have an hour-long commute home, so the idea of trying to find slow cooker recipes so I can come home to dinner is very appealing.

I did a chicken adobo, and it was OK but nothing terribly special. Next I tried similar but tried to Korean-ize it, and it was similarly OK but nothing special.

Now I'm making progress with a pseudo chicken tikka masala, using this recipe:
http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-co ... chn-211284

I used coconut cream instead of milk and threw it all in at the beginning.

Encouraged by the success of that, I replaced my standard slow cooker with one that has a timer, hoping that I can instead set it to say six hours on low and have it switch to warm. I haven't tried it on a full-commute day, but today I was at home and decided to break in the slow cooker with BEANS!!!!

I heart beans but I can't cook them. Or couldn't. Until today.
I did this, with half stock half water, added a chopped onion and a generous pinch or two of chile pepper flakes. Also spanish sliced sausage stuff we had in the fridge instead of bacon, which we didn't.
http://cocinamarie.com/easy-crock-pot-b ... s-faciles/

So freaking good, I had to nibble bites of beans before we had the main dish (a side with the meatloaf).

I need more recipes - I'm hooked!
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:22 am

BTW what does everyone think about lamb in the slow cooker?

It's hard to find cheap lamb here but I'm hearing a leg of lamb would work well, and I can find it, just not at Trader Joe's.

The chicken tikka masala recipe above would work well with lamb, I'm sure.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:31 am

I made pea and ham soup in mine last week. Just dumped a packet of split green peas, a leek, some diced carrot, a ham hock, some chicken stock and a couple of bay leaves in and left it until the ham fell off the hock.

I've cooked up a couple of stews to take away this weekend. Leeks, mixed peas corn and carrot, diced potato, tomato paste stock, dried italian herbs, garlic and chicken or beef. Cook for 7 to 8 hours.

Smells pretty good. Easy to heat up and eat in our little cottage place by the ocean.

Ledbetter
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ledbetter » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:26 pm

I made crockpot beans yesterday using this recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/58389/slow ... ade-beans/

I cut back a bit on the brown sugar, the recipe looked too sweet. I boiled and soaked them first before adding them to the crockpot. I didn't add the salt or ketchup until the beans had already lost their firmness, a few hours after cooking on high. A good tip to know when making beans, makes a huge difference.
You might be cooking them for days before they become tender if you add salt and ketchup at the beginning of the recipe.

*edit*

I used a whole package of bacon, but cooked it part way first to eliminate much of the fat.

Ledbetter
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ledbetter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Cool rainy weekend so pulled out the crockpot to make stew. I came across this link with all kinds of slow cooker recipes. Enjoy.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/19823 ... ium=social

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:36 pm

pezworld wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:22 am

It's hard to find cheap lamb here but I'm hearing a leg of lamb would work well, and I can find it, just not at Trader Joe's.

Lamb curry, lamb stew, etc. All very good.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:24 am

northern_goddess wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:36 pm
pezworld wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:22 am

Lamb curry, lamb stew, etc. All very good.
I'd forgotten about this. Last weekend they had big lamb roast at Costco for something like $6/pound. From Australia no less. ehs would approve of course, but he'd probably prefer a lamb roast rather than a crock pot version.