chicken curry

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time

Moderator: Moderator

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

chicken curry

Post by Scrubb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm making a coconut curry with chicken tonight. Haven't got a tried and true recipe and am pretty much going to just wing it. But I have a couple questions.

I do have a recipe for green curry chicken in a reasonably reliable Thai cookbook. However, I have red curry paste open, and don't expect to be able to use it all before it goes off (it's a big tub) and would rather not open the green curry paste right now so that most of both of them go bad. So:
1. Is chicken curry with red curry yummy? Or is chicken usually done with green for a reason?

Also, that recipe calls for 3 cans of coconut milk and is clearly a very, very liquid sort of a curry. I'm planning to use only about 1.5 cans and add some veggies so it'll be a lot chunkier.
2. Does that sound good?

Also, I'm going to use some of the ingredients/directions from a recipe for beef in red curry. It calls for a lot of fresh basil leaves. Mr_S doesn't like basil much so I won't put in much, and I don't have any fresh, just frozen (from my garden last summer).
3. Would you use any of the frozen basil leaves, or just skip them?

And finally, both recipes I'm sort of using have bamboo shoots. I don't have any, and have already done one run to the store today so don't feel like another.
4. Would you worry about the missing bamboo shoots?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

auntie
Stew Ingredient

Re: chicken curry

Post by auntie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Curry paste won't go off esp. If you whack in the fridge or freezer so I'd make whichever you fancy the most. 3 cans does seem a lot.
[*]guruwil » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:16 pm
This is one of the few times I regret the YC incursion

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Red curry is yummy but it's not as spicy as green curry. You've used it before when you've made duck, so that should give you an idea of what it's like, right?

3 cans seems like too much unless you are feeding a family of 12. So I think your idea of 1.5 cans with some vegies should actually be better.

I also wouldn't worry about 'extra' basil leaves. Just use the fresh ones you have.

I don't like bamboo shoots so I would never put them in to begin with. They don't tend to change the flavour of anything, they are more something that is added for texture and their own taste so I don't see the lack of them making a fundamental difference to the flavour of the dish, other than to improve it. :D

Good luck!
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

auntie
Stew Ingredient

Post by auntie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Carrots sliced to bamboo shoot size will fulfill a similar purpose re texture and vegetable bulk. You could always go a bit massuman curry and put peanut butter and peanuts into the red curry and potato, that's nice too.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Mr_S can't handle too much heat, so red might be better overall. I've made both green and red curries in the past, but it's been a long time. I just thought maybe the flavours in green were universally considered to be better with chicken than the flavours in red. Sounds like not really, so I'll use the red to protect Mr_S's tender tastebuds. But good idea on putting the paste in the freezer, since I don't use it really often. (I've had it eventually be "iffy" after being open in the 'fridge for just tooooo long.)

n_g - I don't have ANY fresh basil, ONLY frozen. Thought I'd put in a couple/few for flavour, but obviously not at the end to replace the large number of fresh ones that the recipes call for. I never put in much when it's for Mr_S as he thinks it tastes like soap. (He's obviously insane.)

Thanks for the info on bamboo shoots, both of you. Carrots would be good, but I have none of them either right now (used the last one for making chicken soup a couple weeks ago and forgot to buy more).

I also have some tempeh that is "coconut curry" flavoured. I'm going to put some of it in too, just for interest's sake. If it's not good I'll just pick the strips out again. I got some 'bacon flavoured' ones of the same brand a few weeks ago and they were ok, even though they tasted nothing whatsoever like bacon.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 pm

As an aside. This website has some interesting recipes. It's a company that makes a lot of the Thai pastes, etc that you get in Canada (not sure if they are common elsewhere) so the recipes are based on using those pastes.

http://www.atasteofthai.com/
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

auntie
Stew Ingredient

Post by auntie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:03 pm

There are some really simple recipes on that site, n_g, including a couple for red-curry chicken.

After reading 2 different green curry chicken recipes, a panang ginger curry chicken, and 2 red curry chicken recipes, my conclusion is that I can just wing it. Some of them have you put in the paste and coconut milk first, some have you fry some onions first, some have the coconut milk added at the end... sounds like the process isn't all that important.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:08 pm

Looks yummy, auntie - but I don't deep fry at home.

Scuba Steve
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scuba Steve » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 pm

The only curry I've made had red curry paste had chicken. It was good. I also had red chicken curry in both Singapore and Malaysia, which were great.

Anyway, I answer

Yes
Yes
Yes
No

auntie
Stew Ingredient

Post by auntie » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:01 am

Neither do I, you could just add potato, peanut butter and peanuts to the chicken red curry.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:25 am

The green curry sauces I´ve had are more mild than the red ones I´ve had. I also don´t like soppy liquidy saucy curries, so would use much less of the coconut milk.

I like frying off my fresh spices first, with the onion first, then the garlic (as it burns easier),then chilies, then any raw veggies in order of what needs more cooking to less; then add any meat; then add any thing like liquid or canned tomatoes/coconut milk; any fresh crushed dried curry leaves. Lastly any fresh herbs. I think the order is important if I want the spices to have a deeper flavour, etc.

But I decided that after experimenting.
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:14 am

IT was quite yummy. I'd prefer it hotter, but it was just right for Mr_S.

First I sauteed a bit of garlic and ginger for about 15 or 30 seconds, then added white onion and some chopped broccoli stems. After a couple minutes I added a Tbsp+ of red curry paste and stirred it all up. Then the chicken pieces, and stirred everything for about 5 minutes.

Then I added the can of coconut milk plus the half can I'd had frozen for the past few months. Brought it up to a simmer and added the broccoli florettes.

In the meantime I sauteed some mushrooms and the coconut-curry-flavoured-tempeh strips.

When everything was almost cooked I added some fresh lime juice, fish sauce, and brown sugar, and a cup of frozen peas. (I had some kaffir lime leaves I'd meant to add earlier, but forgot them until 2 minutes ago when I was doing dishes and noticed them sitting on the counter. But all the recipes I saw had either lime juice or the leaves, so I think I'm ok. I also completely forgot about the basil.)

At the last minute I dumped in the mushroom/tempeh mix and stirred it all up.

Served over rice. Yummy.

Next time I'd:
- use a smidge more curry paste or else add a fresh chile
- cook it about 2 minutes less because the chicken was slightly overcooked, though not by much
- add the basil leaves

auntie
Stew Ingredient

Post by auntie » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:31 am

Sounds nice

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:14 am

I'm glad it turned out!

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:51 am

Last week Mr_Scrubb turned around my rosemary plant that has been on my windowsill for about 3 years now, and I discovered that the plant has been really growing like crazy on the window side. So tonight I cut off 4 nice long sprigs of it and threaded them through some shrimp, like skewers. Normally I would have BBQed them, but I was too lazy to go light it, so instead I sauteed with garlic and lots of olive oil. I pre-steamed some asparagus, then put them in with the shrimp for a couple minutes to finish them. Served on pasta (and, oh yeah, a lobster tail each with lemon butter for dipping).

Mmmmm. Very yummy dinner.

auntie
Stew Ingredient

Post by auntie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:50 am

Rosemary and shrimp, I've never tried that!

Must give it a go!

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:01 am

I think the original recipe I saw for it recommended using the sprigs as skewers, and then adding a sort of marmelade/chutney to it. I've never followed that particular recipe but I've used the rosemary sprigs as skewers a couple times - it works well, and the flavour is really nice.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:08 am

up
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"