Best place for a curry

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time

Moderator: Moderator

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Best place for a curry

Post by Shavenhead » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:54 pm

I've never been to India, though I guess there are a range of curries to be sampled across the various regions of that vast country. How is curry in Pakistan, or Bangaldesh?

A lot of people rave about the Thai and Malay curries, but I'm not really a fan - a bit bland for my tastes.

Some of the best curry dens I've found have been in the UK, though a damned good Durban curry is hard to beat.
"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: Best place for a curry

Post by Lincoln » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:18 pm

If you've eaten a curry in the UK then chances are you've already had a Bangladeshi curry....the majority of "Indian" restaurants in the UK are owned by Bangladeshi's.

It a bit obvious but I had my best curry in India...in Mumbai to be precise at a busy Thali place near VT station....it was 15 years ago but i remember it like it was yesterday....that good.

Check to see if theres a Hare Krishna place near you...they do excellent food altohugh some find it bland as it's "Satvic food" so theres no onions,galic or chillies but it's still excellent.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:48 pm

I used to be a Hare Krishna and it was the food, not the chanting and tambourine bashing that pushed me back into the mainstream.

How the fuck can you make a curry without onions, garlic or chillies?
"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:03 am

Penang. I've never been to India, but I've been to Sri Lanka. Penang was better.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

tlefty
Stew Ingredient

Post by tlefty » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 am

My (Sri Lankan) nanna's house, though you do need to leave your stomach lining at the door if she's not expecting you.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:36 pm

I've been making Sri Lankan curries recently. They use coconut instead of ghee/cream/yoghurt so are ideal for dairy free types like me. Plus they often have potatoes in and potatoes in a curry are a thing of beauty.
Wibble.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Lime_Pickle wrote:I've been making Sri Lankan curries recently. They use coconut instead of ghee/cream/yoghurt so are ideal for dairy free types like me. Plus they often have potatoes in and potatoes in a curry are a thing of beauty.

I've been curious about Sri Lankan cuisine lately. What are some of the differences you could expect between SL and, say, Madras?

Lefty, spicey I assume?
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

tlefty
Stew Ingredient

Post by tlefty » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 pm

s8 - like lava. I like a hot curry, but hers is ridiculous - even my dad won't eat what she's cooked for herself.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:29 am

Sri Lankans use lemongrass and they add fried anchovies to whatever they call biryani.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:30 am

I don't remember them using much cumin.

nettie
mutha's bitch

Post by nettie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:28 am

Lime_Pickle wrote:I've been making Sri Lankan curries recently. They use coconut instead of ghee/cream/yoghurt so are ideal for dairy free types like me. Plus they often have potatoes in and potatoes in a curry are a thing of beauty.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is irrationally happy to find potatoes in curry.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:14 am

I've been curious about Sri Lankan cuisine lately. What are some of the differences you could expect between SL and, say, Madras?

Based on the recipies I've tried, they seem closer to south east Asian curries than Indian in general. Although Keralan food uses lots of the same ingredients. So less cumin, coriander, fenugreek etc and more ginger, coconut, lemongrass, tumeric. And potatoes in curries seems to be a Sri Lankan thing.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is irrationally happy to find potatoes in curry

They go all melty and really soak up the spices. What's not to like?
Wibble.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:12 am

up
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"