Dishoom London Ruby Chicken

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time
veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Dishoom London Ruby Chicken

Post by veronica_inheels » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:25 pm

I go to Dishoom when in London. They have a few locations, I don’t know which one I go to. It’s central.

Their ruby chicken was awesome. One of the best things I ever had in an indian place . Their drinks were tasty too.

Now they have a cookbook out. But they put their chicken recipe online .

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.theguar ... hani-curry

Anyone wants to make it and post photos?

I will , when I get to indian spice shop.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

leela
Stew Ingredient

Re: Dishoom London Ruby Chicken

Post by leela » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:01 am

I love dishoom. Their theming is a bit OTT, but the food is good.
I had a bowl of kheema pau for a late breakfast last time I went, with an extra bun maska and some milky chai. So good.
Pass the wine...

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 am

That daal recipe looks great. Never made daal with big brown pulses, red or yellow lentils is so much easier. You can’t make any less than a massive bucket of daal because of the subtle spices, so that’s fun. That could be next week’s lunchbox.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:10 am

The picture looks like big brown beans, but the recipe, which is way too complicated for me to try, uses urud dal, which are tiny, black on the outside and white on the inside.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:36 am

Dishoom is ok. I had the toughest lamb of my life in one, though.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:11 pm

I love black dal. But the place I go recently makes it too runny. I want to make that recipe.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:16 pm

recipes look good. i gonna make some of those. thanks

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:34 pm

ceylon_tea wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:16 pm
recipes look good. i gonna make some of those. thanks
Photos pls

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Those DO look good, but it would be hard work digging up some of those spices, the bulk of which will end up dieing a slow and pointless death in my cabinet.
I'll stick with restos or homes of people who cook it regularly.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:38 pm

mishmish wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:32 pm
Those DO look good, but it would be hard work digging up some of those spices, the bulk of which will end up dieing a slow and pointless death in my cabinet.
Spices are easy for me because we have a large East Indian population, and they are cheap. I just st have to make it to that part of town.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:01 am

veronica_inheels wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:38 pm
mishmish wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:32 pm
Spices are easy for me because we have a large East Indian population, and they are cheap. I just st have to make it to that part of town.
Yeah definitely need an Indian spice shop to tell me what kasoori methi powder or deggi mirch chilli powder is, for instance.
Also to tell me why I need to buy black cardamom pods when I already have green ones.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:19 am

Probably different flavour?

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:14 am

Black cardamom is a beast of a thing, almost the size of a nutmeg. It tastes significantly different, more roasted and nutty. It’s used in Pho stock, one of the main flavours in that, you may be more likely to find it in a Vietnamese shop than an Indian one.

It’s a matter of preference but green and black are interchangeable in savoury recipes, it does make a difference. Wouldn’t use black for desserts necessarily.

Kasoori Methi powder is dried fenugreek leaves and you use quite a lot of it. Comes in quite large boxes and costs very little. A Western supermarket might have it just as “fenugreek leaves”.

Deggi Mirch means chilli powder, nothing more. That recipe is being a little bit wanky asking for deggi mirch chilli powder but we’ve all learned what it means now.

I don’t make Indian food that often, but if you choose your spices well you don’t throw them away. Cumin seeds, turmeric, chilli powder, mustard seeds perhaps. Garam Masala to finish. You can make a lot with just that. The first three support a lot of Middle Eastern and North African cooking too.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:34 am

We've got a large Indian and Chinese population in the hood, but tbh I'd rather go Chinese on the food front but should make an effort to explore the local Indian food joints, maybe I've been put off by the 'same red sauce different protein' London curry houses from the late 90s.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 am

Chili powder in the US is not at all the same as deggi mirch, which may also be called kashmiri mirch here.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:01 am

What’s the difference?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:59 am

US chili powder has corn syrup in it
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:24 pm

There are lots of different things called chili powder in the US. Some are blends of powdered chilis, garlic powder, cumin, and other spices: what people think of as the typical flavors of Tex-Mex chile. Others will just be powdered chilis, but typically with more heat than kashmiri mirch has.

I use a mix of two thirds guajillo and one third pasilla chiles, which is pretty mild but considerably hotter than the kashmiri mirch that I have had.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Hmm interesting.
I've been told this thing about cardamom before and did not believe. I don't think I've ever seen black cardamom and assumed it was a nonsense term that it meant the (black) seeds of 'green' cardamom. Live and learn.
Fenugreek leaves are easy.
There are many types of red pepper powders in spice shops, but they are all called paprika and described only according to hotness and smokiness. I sniff, taste, and buy. I'll try saying "deggi mirch" and see whether or not I get a blank stare. If so, should I be looking for hotness? Smokiness? This isn't some blend with other spices (like US chili powder), right?
Garam masala is another tricky one, btw, as they sell like ten different kinds. I have some that I use to make chai. Think that would work?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:52 pm

It isn't a blend; it is quite mild; not smoky; and it is very red. If you were trying to reproduce it I would go for Hungarian paprika plus something with some heat, and not much of the latter.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Ok then. The quest for black cardamom is on.