What's for dinner?

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time
Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by Zamuel » Tue May 07, 2019 6:29 pm

I'm doing the faux-Mexican thing tonight too, Hamburger helper Crunchy Taco casserole . . . slathered in salsa with some avocados sliced on the side . . . I think it's the only one they make I really enjoy. I've been waiting for a Mexican friend to smuggle me some Carne Assada, I think the BP guys are getting it off him too so he's late by a couple of weeks.
"Life is not like a box of chocolates, it's a jalapeno. What you do today will bite you in the ass tomorrow."

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue May 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Tonight is crab cakes, baked potato and asparagus.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed May 08, 2019 2:11 am

I'm making wraps with grilled lemon garlic chicken breast, broccoli slaw*, and killer creamy garlic sauce.

* I tried a new thing! I won't quite say that it's gross, but according to my earlier taste test it's definitely not going to be on the menu again. I'm interested to see if a few hours in the fridge improve it at all. If it's still not good, I might substitute some sliced tomatoes for the veggie component.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed May 08, 2019 2:14 am

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:20 pm
That sounds so good! Our commercial crab season closed last month, 3 months earlier than the usual deadline. It's good that we're trying to save whales and stuff, but I wanted more crab cakes.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Wed May 08, 2019 3:06 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:No offence, but do you have a cat?

No cat. Just some cacti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed May 08, 2019 12:38 pm

lolasf wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:14 am
Stan In Maryland wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:20 pm
That sounds so good! Our commercial crab season closed last month, 3 months earlier than the usual deadline. It's good that we're trying to save whales and stuff, but I wanted more crab cakes.
Our crab season is just starting. Although this I am sure was brought up from further south.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Kaldereta by the GF tonight. I think this is my favorite dish she makes. Pork, potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, chili. The sauce is stock with onion and garlic, thickened with liver spread and tomato paste.

Mangoes for dessert again as they're in season.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed May 08, 2019 1:27 pm

EMG wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:10 pm
Kaldereta by the GF tonight. I think this is my favorite dish she makes. Pork, potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, chili. The sauce is stock with onion and garlic, thickened with liver spread and tomato paste.

Mangoes for dessert again as they're in season.
Looks really good. You mention liver spread as a thickening agent. Is that a common ingredient? Do you find it adds much liver flavor? Not that I would mind, I am actually a liver lover.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed May 08, 2019 2:03 pm

It is a pretty common ingredient here and I would say it adds a lot of flavor but not specifically liver flavor. I like liver spreads but not so much liver itself, and this is a subtle addition of that flavor, so the dish doesn’t taste like liver. You likely wouldn’t know it was there unless someone told you

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed May 08, 2019 3:33 pm

On the same theme, we are having mango/shrimp salad for dinner.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat May 11, 2019 10:48 pm

City chicken with peas and mash. Not pictured, mediocre side salad.

Nowhere near as good as moms, but not bad. From a local Polish joint. Not sure if this dish is particularly Polish, but all the Polish restaurants around here seem to have it on the menu - usually just Pork, no the pork/veal combo like I used to get at home on special occasions. My dad's favorite meal. Hamtramck used to be known as Poletown, but now, for better or worse, it's become known as something of a little Bangladesh/Yemen. Interesting food, but I miss a lot of the old Polish joints a bit. There's really only a couple of Polish joints left. Interestingly enough, it was the first Michigan city to have a Muslim majority city council, which caused a lot of pundits to speculate that it would be a sharia law hellhole - much to the disappointment of the Terry Jones fans, this has proven to be (of course) a baseless concern.
Oneball wrote:Well shove the warning up your arse. I won't be coming back.
Annotated wrote:By the end of Trump's first term in office, Rocket Man will have rockets no more ... one way or the other. Guaranteed.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sun May 12, 2019 11:21 am

The gf’s mom made us crab and shrimp (with rice)

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sun May 12, 2019 6:25 pm

I took Mr_S out for dinner last night for his birthday. It was all very tasty. For starters we had:
- scallops in a Thai lime broth with fresh citrus, mint & cilantro
- prosciutto & pork filled ravioli w/ browned butter, fresh tomato, basil, & Parmigiano

Mains were
- pan-roasted halibut on beluga lentils with roasted carrots and a really tasty cream sauce
- flank steak with harissa, roasted asparagus and polenta fries.

Usually they have very interesting dishes there and Mr_S doesn't order something ordinary like steak, which he can make at home as well as anyone anywhere, but it was what he most wanted from the small menu last night. He said the steak was really well cooked, and the harissa and the sides were all good enough to make it very worthwhile.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Ledbetter
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ledbetter » Sun May 12, 2019 7:09 pm

Sounds delicious, Scrubb. Please wish Mr Scrubb a happy birthday for me.
I'm making something with boneless chicken thighs, not sure yet. For dessert we're having ditch mango cheese pie, that I made yesterday but haven't tried yet.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 am

My sister had my mom and I over for Mother's Day today, and cooked us dinner. She grilled perfect filet mignons, and served them with roasted potatoes and a really nice green salad.

I don't always like my sister, but I will readily admit she's almost never served me a bad meal. She just always gets it right- from seasoning, to whatever salad dressing she whips up, to the marinade and doneness of the steak.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Mon May 13, 2019 8:29 am

Not for dinner, but I did find the perfect Mickey D's sausage and egg mcmuffin recipe, ok its shit food but really wanted to see if it tasted authentic. Its really spot on. In fact way nicer than McDonalds version.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Mon May 13, 2019 1:14 pm

lolasf wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 am
My sister had my mom and I over for Mother's Day today, and cooked us dinner. She grilled perfect filet mignons, and served them with roasted potatoes and a really nice green salad.

I don't always like my sister, but I will readily admit she's almost never served me a bad meal. She just always gets it right- from seasoning, to whatever salad dressing she whips up, to the marinade and doneness of the steak.
I do like my sister but she's the same with her cooking. Even though she's a pescatarian apparently she cooks meat perfectly.

I miss her but I also miss her cooking.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Mon May 13, 2019 2:16 pm

My haul from the Ramadan market in Kota Kinabalu, eaten back at the hostel because it was a good two hours before the end of the fast.

The thing on the plate that I thought was a pasty turns out to be some sort of deep-fried sandwich with spicy filling.

Baby, mellow my mind

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Mon May 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Just remembered the sushi place I always went to near my old office has another branch right next door to my new office

Yay

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon May 13, 2019 2:46 pm

Last night I really went all out. Pre-made coleslaw, potato salad and rolls from the grocery store and pulled package of pulled pork out of the freezer. What's really sad is I had the ingredients for potato salad and coleslaw in the fridge. What can I say, some days you just don't feel like cooking.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Mon May 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Last night was pork tenderloin and roasted carrots with some hand grated (hate that part) pineapple-coleslaw. Good eatin! Tonight I'm doing a pot of ranch beans and ham to go with the Indian flatbread my neighbor making. Right now I'm working on a couple of hard boiled eggs and a bag of fritos . . . a single mans breakfast . . .
"Life is not like a box of chocolates, it's a jalapeno. What you do today will bite you in the ass tomorrow."

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Pork ramen.
yes Marge even makes the soy soft boiled eggs.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Tue May 14, 2019 4:00 am

Mr_S got another birthday dinner:
- steamed snow crabs with lemon beurre blanc for dipping
- pasta with smoked salmon, asparagus, and shrimp in garlic lemon cream
- caesar salad (with anchovies)

It all turned out very yummy.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Tue May 14, 2019 4:13 am

Yesterday I went to a new Uzbek restaurant in New York. Enjoyable! It's in a neighborhood I never make it to, so I don't know when I'll go back, but I hope they have a long and happy tenure there.
I just finished writing a book on penguins.
Now that I think about it, paper would have been a lot easier.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Tue May 14, 2019 4:21 am

I made a cheeseburger for dinner, roughly 75% ground beef and 25% ground pork (plus other stuff). I think it may be one of the best mixes I've ever made, which is great because I have leftovers!

Plus a green salad but that's the boring semi-healthy part.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Tue May 14, 2019 12:49 pm

Homemade Nigella's Sluts Spaghetti.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Last night I made salade nicoise. I poached the potatoes in water infused with berebere, turmeric, and garlic. They were quite delicious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The freedom of birds is an insult to me.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Wed May 15, 2019 3:02 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Wed May 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Barbarella wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:49 pm
that tatNicoize #goals 🚀
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Wed May 15, 2019 3:24 pm

veronica_inheels wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:06 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
looks incredible. perfect. mm

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 pm

Am making lemon chicken kababs with garlic sauce (lolasf's recipe). First time in several months and kind of drooling in anticipation. Also going to roast some cauliflower with garlic to go with it.

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Thu May 16, 2019 1:14 am

Homerj wrote:Pork ramen.
yes Marge even makes the soy soft boiled eggs.
I used to make ramen too and then Kinton Ramen opened close to our house, just 3 mins walk. I have been going there at least once a week. Went there tonight and had shoyu ramen. So delish. Image

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Thu May 16, 2019 4:36 am

Scrubb wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:17 pm
Am making lemon chicken kababs with garlic sauce (lolasf's recipe). First time in several months and kind of drooling in anticipation. Also going to roast some cauliflower with garlic to go with it.
I made the sauce a week or so ago, and used it on a few different meals. It was excellent on a burger!

The same lady who did that recipe has a new one I plan to try next week: Moroccan chicken skewers with green sauce.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 am

DianaHaddad wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:13 am
Yesterday I went to a new Uzbek restaurant in New York. Enjoyable! It's in a neighborhood I never make it to, so I don't know when I'll go back, but I hope they have a long and happy tenure there.
Oooh..what did you have? If it wasn't meat, meat, meat swimming in fat, and potatoes with mayonnaise, it wasn't authentic, obv.
Pass the wine...

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Thu May 16, 2019 5:00 am

leela wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 am
DianaHaddad wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:13 am
Oooh..what did you have? If it wasn't meat, meat, meat swimming in fat, and potatoes with mayonnaise, it wasn't authentic, obv.
Hahaha! We had some pumpkin dumplings on the momo-samosa spectrum and then I had fried lamian with beef and a few peppers/scallions etc. He had the same but without meat. Definitely some oily sauce at the bottom of the plate that I was worried would get on my shirt.
I just finished writing a book on penguins.
Now that I think about it, paper would have been a lot easier.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Thu May 16, 2019 6:36 pm

grilling - Ambughaires - tonight, over mesquite, for a French girl new to the area, 'ole' . . .

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Fri May 17, 2019 2:05 am

I'm currently marinating a pork tenderloin in lemon, garlic, summer savory, and oregano. Later I'll roast that along with some small yellow potatoes and asparagus.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri May 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Chicken and smoked bacon pasta which an arribata (no idea if thats the spelling) sauce.
Marge will be enjoying a pinot while I'll be sticking with H20

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Homerj wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:39 pm
Chicken and smoked bacon pasta which an arribata (no idea if thats the spelling) sauce.
That sounds delicious, however you spell it. I want to come over for dinner with Marge!

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri May 17, 2019 5:41 pm

lolasf wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 pm
Homerj wrote:
That sounds delicious, however you spell it. I want to come over for dinner with Marge!
...door is always open....

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri May 17, 2019 5:50 pm

Homerj wrote:
??? Not mixed with vodka?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri May 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Scrubb wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:50 pm
Homerj wrote:
Got bronchitis scrubber so I have to be a good boy....

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Fri May 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Scrubb wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:50 pm
Homerj wrote:
That post confused me, too. I'm still not sure I entirely understand what he's saying. Is H2O a new brand of vodka, maybe?

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Fri May 17, 2019 6:28 pm

Ahhh, that must be it. So pure it's like fresh spring water, sort of thing.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Fri May 17, 2019 6:40 pm

gnd wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:05 pm
Barbarella wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:49 pm
that tatNicoize #goals 🚀
Did you face plant the keyboard?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri May 17, 2019 6:42 pm

I'm sick cut me some slack...nope it will be water from the fridge dispenser.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Fri May 17, 2019 6:47 pm

Scrubb wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:28 pm
Ahhh, that must be it. So pure it's like fresh spring water, sort of thing.
Great ad campaign for that new vodka. I like it.

I also like the sound of sec8's potadoes.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri May 17, 2019 8:22 pm

Homerj wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:41 pm
lolasf wrote:
Homerj wrote:
Homer,

Note she did not say she wanted to have dinner with you, just Marge. Sorry you are sick.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri May 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Hehe
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri May 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:22 pm
Homerj wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:41 pm
lolasf wrote:

Homer,

Note she did not say she wanted to have dinner with you, just Marge. Sorry you are sick.
She'll just have to grin and bear it...I come with the package...besides I'm the one who buys the really nice wine.
Pretty sure she could hold her nose if the evening included a bottle or two of very nice vino + Marge's cooking....