Best way to drink this wine?

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time

Moderator: Moderator

Post Reply
User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14637
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Ok wine officianados... how would you drink this vino?

Given the year, grape, region etc how would you drink it?

Would you;

Decant?
Let breathe?
Drink fresh on opening?
At a certain temperature?

It's not a particularly expensive wine (£12) but I was wondering if I could enjoy it more if I "prepared " it properly?

Of course I could just crack on and neck the bugger but maybe there's something to be said for all this wine advice?
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27416
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by jessica_fletcher » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:39 pm

With a straw
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

User avatar
jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27416
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by jessica_fletcher » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 pm

On a serious note, you should put it in a blender for a few seconds.

No joke.

Google it
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12668
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by DCComic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:45 pm

I'd have the cork out and let it stand for an hour. There may be better things to do but simple and easy are good too.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14637
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 pm

jessica_fletcher wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:40 pm
On a serious note, you should put it in a blender for a few seconds.

No joke.

Google it
Yeah but wont the wine just taste of the vegies/fruits my mrs blended yesterday for a protein drink?

You thicko :? :roll:

User avatar
jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27416
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by jessica_fletcher » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Sorry, I forgot you lick things clean in your house.
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14637
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 pm

So now I have to buy a second bastard blender?

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14637
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:11 pm

I bet you can't pronounce the name of the wine either

User avatar
jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27416
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by jessica_fletcher » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:18 pm

I have a degree in French and Spanish.

Do you even know where France is?
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14637
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:32 pm

I've got O' level D in French...with almost degree level.

Go on...pronounce it....

Write it phonetically.... i dare you.

User avatar
jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27416
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by jessica_fletcher » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Shat.o la quah dez oogon
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14637
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Ha!...wrong you biffa

To be fair thats how i would pronounce it and i didn't think you would get it "right" but then Mrs Lincoln came home and i thought i should just check before i gloat but she put me right and said because the last word begins with "H" you can't say "Dez" as that implies theres no "H" so it should be....

Shat.O la Quah day oooo go.

Perhaps we're both thicko's ?

User avatar
mad hatter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 22931
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by mad hatter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 pm

pour it onto a glass and drink it
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

User avatar
jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27416
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by jessica_fletcher » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Your wife’s a cunt
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

User avatar
mad hatter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 22931
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by mad hatter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:09 pm

jessica_fletcher wrote:Your wife’s a cunt
no shes not
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14637
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:10 pm

jessica_fletcher wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:06 pm
Your wife’s a cunt
:o but :lol:

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14637
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Lincoln » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:11 pm

mad hatter wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:09 pm
jessica_fletcher wrote:Your wife’s a cunt
no shes not
Oh she fcuking is mate...

User avatar
mad hatter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 22931
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by mad hatter » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Lincoln wrote:
mad hatter wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:09 pm
jessica_fletcher wrote:Your wife’s a cunt
no shes not
Oh she fcuking is mate...
i thought fletcher was calling my wife a cunt but she was calling your wife a cunt?
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

User avatar
jessica_fletcher
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27416
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by jessica_fletcher » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Sorry Hatter, no I wasn’t calling your wife names.

Just Lincoln’s, coz I knew he’d find it rude yet hilarious.
VinnyD wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm
Oops.

User avatar
NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15748
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by NorthAmerican » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:35 pm

I don't have a degree in French, but I studied it for two years in college. I would have used a different transliteration, but I would have ended up with a pronunciation almost matching Jess's. La kwah for La croix, and daze-oo-gaw at the end (wouldn't the n and s both be silent?). I never learned the rule about elision before an h, or maybe I've forgotten it.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12668
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by DCComic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 pm

How was the wine?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

User avatar
NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15748
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by NorthAmerican » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:41 am

NorthAmerican wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:35 pm
...I would have used a different transliteration, but I would have ended up with a pronunciation almost matching Jess's. La kwah for La croix, and daze-oo-gaw at the end (wouldn't the n and s both be silent?). I never learned the rule about elision before an h, or maybe I've forgotten it.
Oops! I wrote elision, but I meant liaison. I just looked at a half-dozen YouTube videos on prohibited liaisons, and discovered that liaisons are prohibited before an aspirated h. I knew that you say lay-AHL, not lay-ZAHL, for Les Halles, but I don't know what an "aspirated" h is. What about the h's that begin the words heures and hommes? I would have said lay-ZERR and lay-ZUMM. Would I be wrong?
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 59419
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by VinnyD » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:25 am

No, you would be right. The so-called aspirated h's are h's that derive from German and other non-Latin, non-Greek languages. La hache (ax, hatchet), le hareng, le hachiche, le hamac, but l'honneur, l'homme, l'hypothèse.

User avatar
Lulu
Pain in the ass
Posts: 5916
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:18 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Lulu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:49 am

Shat O la khh(upchuck)wa day zoo go(nasally sound)
Sleep with me wake up all night

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 59419
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by VinnyD » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:14 pm

The word that I thught was hachiche is apparently written haschisch. That suggests that the French got the word from German, which is surprising.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12668
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by DCComic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Sha toe la qua dey oo-gon
?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14637
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Lincoln » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Spot on DC...the wine was good too...

User avatar
(X)
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11695
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:32 am

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by (X) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 pm

2015? I would keep it for another couple of years.
Slap on your butt for good measure!

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12668
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by DCComic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:53 pm

(X) wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 pm
2015? I would keep it for another couple of years.
What would you drink in the meantime?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

User avatar
(X)
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11695
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:32 am

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by (X) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Water obviously
Slap on your butt for good measure!

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12668
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by DCComic » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:16 pm

I'm not convinced.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

User avatar
(X)
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11695
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:32 am

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by (X) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Well you are the one with comic in his name
Slap on your butt for good measure!

User avatar
Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24091
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Chi_Rup » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:13 pm

If the French are calling your wine too young, you’ve got a problem Lincoln.

I’d take the cork out, drink half the bottle, put the cork back in and finish the next evening when I would notice that it’s softer but I wouldn’t have any great expectations for it.

My local Tesco Express is selling a Californian Zinfandel called XYZ for £6 reduced to clear. It’s very good value and not terrible.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 59419
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by VinnyD » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Taking the cork out is a good idea.

User avatar
NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15748
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:02 pm

Chi_Rup wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:13 pm
...My local Tesco Express is selling a Californian Zinfandel called XYZ for £6 reduced to clear. It’s very good value and not terrible.
What an endorsement! They only need to add a few exclamation points, then put it on a sign above the "Reduced for Quick Sale" bin:

GREAT VALUE AND NOT TERRIBLE !!!
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

User avatar
cowtown
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 25225
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:53 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by cowtown » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:02 pm

2015 is a killer year for bordeaux

I’d do a double decante or let it sit in a glass for a bit then chug chug chug

double decante is when you pour the bottle in a decanter and then pour it back in to the bottle to serve

it's a down and dirty quick way to get going on a wine - I'd leave it in the decanter for 30mins to an hour, tops
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler



Image

User avatar
guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup
Posts: 24822
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:44 am

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by guruwil » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:14 pm

For a 2015, no need to decant, there wont be any significant lees, It will breathe all it needs if you put it in a decent sized glass and let it sit a few minutes and give it a swirl in the glass before you drink. Pulling the cork and letting it stand for an hour will do pretty much nothing because it is such a small surface area in contact with the air.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

User avatar
cowtown
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 25225
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:53 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by cowtown » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:16 pm

:?
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler



Image

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7701
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Best way to drink this wine?

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:21 pm

From a brown paper bag with a group of friends sitting on the steps of the liquor store.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Post Reply