Bourdain on brunch;

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time
DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Bourdain on brunch;

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:12 am

Brunch is nothing but a "horrible, cynical way of unloading leftovers and charging three times as much as you ordinarily charge for breakfast," he said. "It's the least popular shift for cooks. I personally hate it. I've all sorts of deep, highly traumatic memories of my years cooking brunch. ... Hideous."
Brunch menus are an open invitation to the cost-conscious chef, a dumping ground for the odd bits left over from Friday and Saturday nights. How about hollandaise sauce? Not for me. Bacteria love hollandaise. And nobody I know has ever made hollandaise to order. And how long has that Canadian bacon been festering in the walk-in? Remember, brunch is only served once a week - on the weekends. Cooks hate brunch. Brunch is punishment block for the B-Team cooks, or where the farm team of recent dishwashers learn their chops.
Then there are the People Who Brunch. The “B” word is dreaded by all dedicated cooks. We hate the smell and spatter of omelettes. We despise hollandaise, home fries, those pathetic fruit garnishes, and all the other cliché accompaniments designed to induce a credulous public into paying $12.95 for two eggs. Nothing demoralizes an aspiring Escoffier faster than requiring him to cook egg-white omelettes or eggs over easy with bacon. You can dress brunch up with all the focaccia, smoked salmon, and caviar in the world, but it’s still breakfast.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Re: Bourdain on brunch;

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Searching by brunch here, you get 26 pages. This is a very brunchy crowd.

Bourdain's sheeple audience likes that he's insulting those OTHER brunch people. Dissing brunch as a breakfast upcharge was possibly still funny in 1987.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Brunch remains ridiculous.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Where on god's green earth does brunch cost triple breakfast prices when you back out the mimosa? And isn't it usually a special menu with premium ingredients like smoked salmon? King would-be hipster Asshole is very selective in his outrage about restaurant food markups. What a fucking poseur liar.

Can anyone here affirm that they've ever gotten sick from hollandaise sauce? This from a shit stain who loves to eat on the street in Asia where the cooking oil is changed bi-yearly.

I'm gonna have brunch this weekend. Something stupid like lobster nacho's, probably. I'll eat it unironicly. Who doesn't love food like monte cristo sandwichs and crab cake benedict? Brunch is one of the few restaurant meals where I have problems picking from the menu.

It's also a very social meal (the pussy licker will be joining us on my dime). Are the already (rightfully) blighted middle class not entitled to the same social dining rituals as hotentots in some straw hut somewhere?

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 pm

You don't need to eat lobster nachos ironically - they're already doing the irony on your behalf.

Distrusting Bourdain's view of food is like distrusting Hemingway on fishing. How could you?

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:30 pm

I have never gotten sick from hollandaise sauce. But I avoid it when I know or suspect it's from a package so I don't have it out a lot. I like brunch. Clearly I am not Cool like this Bourdain person.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Brunch is nothing but a "horrible, cynical way of unloading leftovers and charging three times as much as you ordinarily charge for breakfast," he said

Brunch menus are an open invitation to the cost-conscious chef, a dumping ground for the odd bits left over from Friday and Saturday nights.

And how long has that Canadian bacon been festering in the walk-in?
I wonder where that happens. It simply wouldn't fly here, and it doesn't. Brunch business can be fierce and competitive, and it's not something a restaurant would risk losing by serving leftover stuff and second rate dishes. Maybe New York, isn't that where his early career was?
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:37 pm

...this Bourdain person.
Ooooh.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:33 pm

Let's talk about brunch in many lands.

In NYC, Challah-bread french toast is pretty hard to resist. Go ahead and toss a few strawberries on top ("pathetic fruit garnish" -what a troll). Chef's (excuse me, Escoffier chefs) won't cook an egg because it "demoralizes" them? On what planet?

Down south, shrimp and grits is on every brunch menu. In fact, brunch is better on average below the Mason Dixon Line than above:

New Orleans is probably the Florence of brunch-dom. Here's a fave menu (again, super-hard to pick from):

https://www.atchafalayarestaurant.com/menu/brunch-menu/

Here's another brunch menu that confounds choosing:

https://tupelohoneycafe.com/location/do ... runch-menu

Feel free to throw up some exceptional brunch menus from where you live.

What will you NOT eat for brunch? For me, a hamburger and fries seems like too much at 10 AM, tho realistically, lobster nachos (a done deal) are just as bad. It also feels too early for a salad option. Drink-wise, I prefer a French 70 cocktail.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 pm

lolasf wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 pm
Brunch is nothing but a "horrible, cynical way of unloading leftovers and charging three times as much as you ordinarily charge for breakfast," he said

Brunch menus are an open invitation to the cost-conscious chef, a dumping ground for the odd bits left over from Friday and Saturday nights.

And how long has that Canadian bacon been festering in the walk-in?
I wonder where that happens. It simply wouldn't fly here, and it doesn't. Brunch business can be fierce and competitive, and it's not something a restaurant would risk losing by serving leftover stuff and second rate dishes. Maybe New York, isn't that where his early career was?
True for lower end 1990s "fine dinning" places. I worked two places that fit that profile (and that's Bourdaine's culinary career in a nut shell) that added brunch. It was overpriced stuff they didn't sell on fri-sat, plus mimosas. It was the worst shift because it required you to interact with the public at an omelet or bananas fosters station after waking up early even though you closed out saturday night at midnight and then went out drinking.

I think New Brunch is a bit different and probably what you see in the big city. There's a couple of places here, even, with awesome crab cake bennies and a bloody mary bar.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Brunch is just having breakfast late, here. And the idea in itself has improved the amount of variety on breakfast menus. I don't think I've been anywhere where there've been discrete brunch options. Hence the left over logic makes no sense because it's a seven days a week menu.

I like having brunch/late breakfast. It's relaxed meal at a relaxed time, when restaurants aren't that busy. A couple of weekends ago my daughters and I spent well over two hours chatting over brunch, in a way that tends not to happen over a restaurant lunch or dinner.
Pass the wine...

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:39 am

leela wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 pm
Brunch is just having breakfast late, here. And the idea in itself has improved the amount of variety on breakfast menus. I don't think I've been anywhere where there've been discrete brunch options. Hence the left over logic makes no sense because it's a seven days a week menu.
That's also true here in many cases, but not always. Some higher end places that aren't generally open for breakfast will offer special weekend brunch menus, starting at like 10am or even 11am.

I am a breakfast person on the weekends. I go out pretty much every Saturday with a friend, but it's a rare day we're as late as 10am.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:21 am

Anything that has: caviar, lobster, crab cakes, hollandaise, smoked salmon is exactly what I want. They're most available with brunch. ERgo, I like brunch.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 am

Staff HATE brunch. It's the worst shift of the week. Tables never turn, because people are there to drink ten glasses of Asti spumante cut with orange juice, and everyone working is hungover from Saturday night. It's huge in DC. Sometimes I feel like corned beef hash at noon on a Sunday, so kill me.
I am Stalking you.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:02 am

With apologies to Anthony Bourdain, but I like brunch. I had a rabbit sausage red-eye gravy over biscuits at this place:

http://redbird.la/menu/

It was a delicious snack.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:48 am

Beatraven is back but he so far hasn't commented on his stink finger all you can eat crab legs and mimosas or whatever. Someone must have got tackled when they brought out the fried okra.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:41 am

Brunch is a perfectly acceptable meal and one of the better ones to eat in New Orleans. Possibly it's shit in London. I've noticed that almost everything that's any good in the US is shit in London. Except pulled pork, which is shit no matter where you are.

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:53 am

Here you can Caesars as well as Mimosas for the drink of choice at brunch.
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:42 am

I had an excellent brunch in London once. Don't remember where it was, unfortunately.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 am

BulletPark wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:41 am
Except pulled pork, which is shit no matter where you are.
Have you ever been to the South?

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:35 pm

Brunch here is just late breakfast (big luscious Israeli breakfast, mind you, which does not usually involve hollandaise or mimosas, although you never know). Obviously restaurant staff doesn't like to work on weekends. So? Bourdain is marginally amusing and usually drunk former restaurant staff. Why should anyone care what he thinks about brunch? He should just spare us his pain and avoid working on weekends. Maybe go to brunch instead.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 pm

"Obviously restaurant staff doesn't like to work on weekends. So? Bourdain is marginally amusing and usually drunk former restaurant staff. Why should anyone care what he thinks about brunch?"

He writes to entertain. He has an insider's perspective.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:30 pm

EMG wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 am
BulletPark wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:41 am
Except pulled pork, which is shit no matter where you are.
Have you ever been to the South?
Is New Orleans, cited in the post quoted above, in the South?

Then yes.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:43 pm

mishmish wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:35 pm
Brunch here is just late breakfast (big luscious Israeli breakfast, mind you, which does not usually involve hollandaise or mimosas, although you never know). Obviously restaurant staff doesn't like to work on weekends. So? Bourdain is marginally amusing and usually drunk former restaurant staff. Why should anyone care what he thinks about brunch? He should just spare us his pain and avoid working on weekends. Maybe go to brunch instead.
Restaurant staff love to work weekend nights - that's where the money is. Sunday brunch, on the other hand, is the worst shift of the week. That's why brunch service often sucks. You get the B- and C-teams working, often hungover. The chef never works brunch.
I am Stalking you.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 am

Bacteria love any kind of food that isn't stored or handled correctly.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:04 pm

strife wrote:
mishmish wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:35 pm
Restaurant staff love to work weekend nights - that's where the money is. Sunday brunch, on the other hand, is the worst shift of the week. That's why brunch service often sucks. You get the B- and C-teams working, often hungover. The chef never works brunch.
tipping culture delivers for the customer...
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Iolar wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 am
Bacteria love any kind of food that isn't stored or handled correctly.

Also! Be sure to flush the toity when you make a poo-poo!

Tune in next week for Captain Obvious Rides Again!

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:35 pm

You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Bourdain wrote:Bacteria love hollandaise.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:31 am

Such killer wit.

Yet another reminder that Oscar Wilde was indeed an Irishman.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:29 pm

I'll have the Eggs Treme.

I like the trend of half portions of Egg Bene.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Iolar wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:35 pm
Bourdain wrote:Bacteria love hollandaise.
They’re no alone, apparently.