ffs "answers"....

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more
gnd
Stew Ingredient

ffs "answers"....

Post by gnd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:47 pm

from the main sites, "answers" like...
Using global state with your fellow programmers is like using the same toothbrush with your friends - you can but you never know when someone will decide to shove it up his bum
Topic:

evils of global and static objects, which many seem to like for uncluttering, convenience, brevity of code (*hmmmm*); and reducing dependancy (*hmmmmm*)

is confusing with such comments, from people actually making a living at it. I disagree with a lot of the above, but as a newbie, I´d think they know better....:/

RANT over. *headache!*

Or maybe it depends. but I am not sure on WHAT. (context: JAVA)
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Re: ffs "answers"....

Post by gnd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:50 pm

and, ok I get coding is like making lasagna....

someone thinks the ONLY way is bechamel, carrot sauce. Other thinks cottage cheese-egg-ricotta-parm.reg and motz, no carrots, lots and lots of meat with crushed toms sauce is fine. Someone else decided soy texture and almond cheese works too.
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:24 pm

depends on size of codebase, size of teams, expected lifetime of codebase, and expected team turnover. also depends on the type of application.

in desktop applications, global or static variables were less problematic.

in web applications with multiple users, static or global variables are a frequent cause of data being inappropriately leaked between different user sessions. not using global or static data is more likely to force the developer to consider these issues.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:22 am

yes! the inappropriate leaks between info user sessions is also annoying me. It should not happen...

thank you for the reply. There are so many new products! I love how th last techie things presentation included a WTF in it,)

"(Product Name) WTF?" then the intro-ing...."...native like experience across all devices and platforms....no dependency on bandwidth or connectivity...."

And another one with a SuperFun Quiz on Kahoot! I knew zero answers to (though I guessed randomly and got 4 out of 10). The devs in the room did not get much better, so it could be worse...

His presentation was very detailed a& interesting. about two hours. Goo gg le dev on PWAs.

Gushing excited rant over. 2am here. Annoyed can not get my I b M online conference vids to work:( grrr.