my date today that does "IT"

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more
gnd
Stew Ingredient

my date today that does "IT"

Post by gnd » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Kinda a blind date, so I thought since I find IT interesting, I´d ask questions about that/his work.

Me: blah blah blah..
Him: ??
Me: lighter blah blah blah
him:????

ME: (interrupting his ???): What language do you work in?
Him: English.
ME: no I know you understand English and Norwegian. What IT language do you work in?
Him: ?????
ME: ????? (changes topic to easy question)...
HIM: (starts explaining like I am an idiot what a Cloud is).
ME: (Interrupting. Slowly speaking clearly) Yes. I . Understand what a Cloud is. ...What I do not understand is how you work in IT, and make Clouds but do not know any IT languages...or Frameworks, fullstacking or Front or Backends, or PHPs....blah blah blah
HIM: starts to explain to me like I am an idiot how it´s all electronic, and on a computer, and how he presses buttons and ...

The guy sitting beside me looked v amuzed at how well the date was going. As I stood up, and politely, said ok, I´m gonna go get some food, enjoy your day. And walked off.

Most. Boring. Date. Ever. But atleast I got food, and the "IT" date only lasted about 5 minutes.

TBF: this is the first guy ever who said he works in IT and was not very very much under-exaggerating. Gaw I hate dumb guys:/

rant over
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Re: my date today that does "IT"

Post by NorthAmerican » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:38 pm

It seems that you were talking at cross purposes. You're sometimes difficult to understand here, and if you are the same in real life he may never have understood what you were asking. Why not name some of the IT languages instead of basically repeating over and over a question that went over his head. You "politely" excused yourself to get some food, then walked off? Is this the IT date you mentioned to the guy who "owes" you friendship? Wow!
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Everyone has different levels of knowledge about things and different understanding of their relative amount of knowledge about those things.

Not to be mean, but based on your posts, i don't think you especially should be too critical of someone who claims a level of technical knowledge that they don't demonstrate.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:37 am

If this was a terrible date for you I can guarantee it was worse for him.

Should this be moved to Streeterville, really?

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:38 am

I don't really hear the term "IT" anymore. I'm not sure what it makes me think of, but I feel like it hasn't been used anywhere I work since maybe 2004 or so. And Europe, but Europe usually feels a bit behind.

If someone told me they worked in IT today I'd assume that means helpdesk or something similar. Maybe someone in a data center. I'm guessing the way it's used here though the equivalent would be "tech worker" or the like. Tech worker to me can mean anything from an engineer to an artist to a producer though, whereas IT sounds much narrower and nerdy (even in nerd terms).

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:29 pm

yes, he said "IT". I was trying to make conversation, I was not sure what he meant by "IT".

Chi. He seemed fine before we met. Seemed interesting on phone. But irl all he did was whine, complain, and literally sit there outside getting out his cigarette papers to roll up a fresh homemade cigarette, whilst licking it..

THAT was when I´d have enough. Boring. and dumb.

---

NA. I did name languages. He had not even heard of C, Python, etc. I was desperately trying to make the convo flow easy for him, but he is not very socially adept irl. Anyway, I don´t date smokers. He really should date a smoker.

---
Eg:
Everyone has different levels of knowledge about things and different understanding of their relative amount of knowledge about those things.

Not to be mean, but based on your posts, i don't think you especially should be too critical of someone who claims a level of technical knowledge that they don't demonstrate.
Agreed. But if I can´t discuss his work, he can´t even keep up any conversation about his own career or anything at all even in five minutes, there was no point.

Any decent reply would have been fine.

If one can´t figure out 10 minutes of conversation on a first date, about anything, other than my voice is pretty....

And he was the one who kept pointing out he works in "IT", I figured that might be a Topic we could Discuss. But no.
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:38 am
I don't really hear the term "IT" anymore. I'm not sure what it makes me think of, but I feel like it hasn't been used anywhere I work since maybe 2004 or so. And Europe, but Europe usually feels a bit behind.

If someone told me they worked in IT today I'd assume that means helpdesk or something similar. Maybe someone in a data center. I'm guessing the way it's used here though the equivalent would be "tech worker" or the like. Tech worker to me can mean anything from an engineer to an artist to a producer though, whereas IT sounds much narrower and nerdy (even in nerd terms).
LOL.

yeah it is the catch all term used here. I am not always sure what it particularly means.

I was actually curious what he´d meant...I was not trying to be a snotty bitch..I figure most people who bring up their career want to discuss it.

NA, god no, this was not the same guy as mysuperawesomeGeek! who I am hoping we can stay friends with:)

Chi, probably. EDIT: I put it here on purpose! I want Nerdville to be used more! EDIT

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Lets discuss the relative merits and otherwise of the terms "IT" and "ICT".
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:47 pm

When I was in high school i had a date with a girl who supposedly did "IT".

She didn't.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:28 pm

VinnyD wrote:When I was in high school i had a date with a girl who supposedly did "IT".

She didn't.
Now Vinny, can you with certainty say tgat because a girl didnt do IT with you that she didnt do IT, as you may know there are many factors that could influence the doing or not of IT.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:07 am

I forgot. What did I say ITC is again?

MH, apparently, according to uhm Was it Lulu, Guys won´t LET me give them bjs because she says I am BAD at IT.

*kubenetes on this microservice performances downgrade* sadface

lol

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:34 am

I can't imagine why your date had trouble understanding what you meant.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:10 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:34 am
VinnyD, are you DENSE, or what?

*kubenetes on this microservice performances downgrade* sadface

Do you REALLY need that EXPLAINED to you?

Oh, and about girls who didn't do IT. They were known in my day as PTs.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:26 pm

I actually know that kubernetes with an r is the Greek for helmsman and the root of the word cybernetics, which ought to give me a leg up. But alas . . . .

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:47 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:34 am
probably because he was too busy bitching about misc whilst getting out his papers to roll, fill and lick his homemade cigarette.

I was WELL within my rights to politely get up, tell him to enjoy his smoke, and walk off.

NExT time you go on a date with him, you can stay and chat. YEah.

lol.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:51 pm

PT.

Oh now I´m a cock tease.

I´m fine with that. Guy was a boring idiot. I don´t have to pretend for two hours to be nice.

I´d already wasted 5 minutes as is was.

Lulu
Pain in the ass

Post by Lulu » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:20 am

gnd wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:07 am
I forgot. What did I say ITC is again?

MH, apparently, according to uhm Was it Lulu, Guys won´t LET me give them bjs because she says I am BAD at IT.
Kind of me, if IT means a blowjob.

It would be difficult to get good at giving a blow job - they require practice - when the men you sex with forbid you from such filth, and only allow whores (not you! precious girlfriend!) to put their mouths on their dirty dirty cocks.

But maybe you defy the stereotype, and are good at it without experience.
I heard that you like the bad girls. Honey, is that true?

Lulu
Pain in the ass

Post by Lulu » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:24 am

Shit this is nerdville, how dare you lure me into this place by calling my name, gnd?

Mods, streeterville please. That's where we discuss blowjobs.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:53 pm

oh yes please Lulu Nerdville needs Livening Up yeah!
Lulu wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:24 am
Shit this is nerdville, how dare you lure me into this place by calling my name, gnd?

Mods, streeterville please. That's where we discuss blowjobs.
how very Dare I indeed! lol,)

OK back to my EnonicXP and Breadboard Fritzing :D :geek: :geek:

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:55 pm

Wait....

lulu. Jessica Fletcher. Manchveg...no. Leela. Veronica.

bundes!

ok. Experiment1

Lulu
Pain in the ass

Post by Lulu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:01 am

I actually understood that post.

Everyone is not as narcissistic as I am, gnd.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:34 am

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:47 pm
When I was in high school i had a date with a girl who supposedly did "IT".

She didn't.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Lulu wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:01 am
I actually understood that post.

Everyone is not as narcissistic as I am, gnd.
IMHO being self-absorbed is thoroughly qualifying

sips Enjoyable espresso

PS I am Absolutely NOT JEalous in the Absolute Least of your recent NYC moment. Horrible boring inanely meh city.
Can barely imagine how Torturous it was.