Need help with memory/storage/cloud stuff

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more
lolasf
Former showgirl

Need help with memory/storage/cloud stuff

Post by lolasf » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:10 pm

So, my computer is a MacBook Air. It's a few years old and works fine, but it's seriously running out of memory. I've deleted all the temp files and other stuff, and followed a million internet tutorials about how to make more space. It's not going to happen, mostly because I'm a photo and music hoarder.

What I want is some kind of cloud solution for storage. A place to easily store music and photos, to get them off my local machine, but be able to access them. Does anyone have recommendations? Backblaze was recommended to me, but it doesn't have the functionality I want. iCloud seems to be more about synching everything across devices, and I want this stuff actually off my laptop.

I have an external drive that I use to backup my whole machine, using Time Machine. Maybe I should just put all my music and stuff on that?
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Re: Need help with memory/storage/cloud stuff

Post by mad hatter » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:57 pm

google drive
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:10 pm

yeah and move all your music off to the backup drive. i bet you dont listen to 95% of what youve got over a month?

photos on google drive are free storage is you let them comptess the photos a little bit.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:49 pm

hmm

icloud. google. sugarsync.

tresorit, swiss company. works end to end with your files, takes security seriously.

sugarsync is more flexible with folders and synching devices.
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:51 am

Ugh, took all afternoon, but I got it done. I ended up going with iCloud, but that wasn't simple because I couldn't use most of the features I wanted without a newer os than I was running. But the whole reason I was trying to make space on my computer is because I didn't have space to install the newer os!

I finally pitched enough stuff to squeak out the memory I needed, and I think I have everything working together now. It's going to take about 6 years for all of my photos to upload to icloud.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:55 am

Are you going to pay for that storage or are you under the free limit?

I like Google Photos (the free option) but their Windows uploader is driving me crazy. It scans the entire computer each time now, not quickly just for changed photos. Takes forever and uses system resources. I have turned the uploader off for now. I'm pretty sure it's uploaded everything already.

It didn't work this way before. The latest version must have a bug or something.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:36 am

yeah there are a few issues I have issue with.

Sometimes two folders are made, in 2 different places, so if you think u have deleted unwanted photos, nope they are still in the other damn folder/area.

"I finally pitched enough stuff to squeak out the memory I needed, and I think I have everything working together now. It's going to take about 6 years for all of my photos to upload to icloud....took all afternoon!..."

One after noon, and 6 years!;)

I found 12 large xerox photos. ACTUAL photos. I still have not gone thru. I should honestly throw them all out. Does it really matter I need photos of all the places I went a decade or so ago that I forgotten I´d been to...kinda cool to have some real actual photos though (maybe just not that many!)

And online makes it so easy now to take videos! those take up a hellofalota space,)
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:22 pm

pezworld wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:55 am
Are you going to pay for that storage or are you under the free limit?
Less than $1/month, so not too pricey.

I think I have my laptop & phone now setup to sync the original to the cloud with every new photo and save a low-fi version on my device, but only when I'm connected to wifi. That's what I was going for anyway....

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Be very careful with iCloud. Before you go and erase everything try one picture you don’t mind loosing. I think if you erase it from your computer it erases it everplace. Which is why Google is superior.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:07 am

I like how easy OneDrive is. I got 1TB free with MS. Also have DropBox 1TB which also works well.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:10 pm

OneDrive is great for work stuff. They moved us to Office 365 at work and gave us all OneDrive space. Now I can access everything everywhere.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe