feel really intimidated tonight w IT stuff

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more
gnd
Stew Ingredient

feel really intimidated tonight w IT stuff

Post by gnd » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Every single JS, C++, Python group is all guys. Hackathon end of the month, seems more like a fratparty with beers after.

and they talk like Realsies and Easies... Forsursies (spelt??!) Ages are up to 40.

I don´t remember SiV IT/Tech/Coders/programmers/Engineers talking like that.

* I am still between those 3 above. BC unless I can get a job working remotely online in the states or UK (C++/JS) Python seems to be huge here. I´m not 100% I want to do Python. I did decide I do not want to write apps, but then maybe it´s a good little project...
Am looking at JS tonight (enjoying that part). Am not feeing very confident about networking right now.

Rant Over.
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Re: feel really intimidated tonight w IT stuff

Post by muthafunky » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:00 am

I didn’t think brogrammers were still such a big thing.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:21 am

😬
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:23 am

FWIW I am now picturing you and Eg stomping around, chugging beers in between coding, and talking all ForSursies Safe!

*safe= definitely done

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:27 am

No, I long outgrew the frat culture at work. Half of our developers are women, a number of us are older and have children, etc.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:42 pm

wow awesome! I have met maybe 2 women irl who do.

ForAwesomeSies you speak the good english. (IRL I do too).

atleast no keggers. yet.

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:20 am

My team of developers is currently myself and two women. My wider team has three additional female developers, so we have about a 10:4 male:female ratio of developers. A large percentage of the developers are east asian and don't enjoy alcohol or "frat culture". They do enjoy fifa, super smash brothers, and kfc.

I don't enjoy being social with people who i don't spend much time with, so typically only drink and socialize with 5-6 of my clisest colleagues.

In my opinion, being a good programner takes a lot of time, practice, and self-reliance. Don't be afraid to ask questions or look dumb, but if you do find there's a lot you don't know about some area, rather than expecting someone to teach you, spend your personal free time learning about it on your own. This is what the guys and girls who are any good are doing.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:35 am

Spending personal time programming works some people, particularly the young and single and/ or childless, but not everyone.

Pair programming is my preferred way to learn.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:47 am

Interesting. Pair Programming. Had not heard of it. I look thru Dev stacks, stackoverflow, libraries, boiler codes...to see how different ppl wrote something, fixed something...or damn even to see what a Problem might be in the first place.

Not alot of time right now to do so obv. But once I move, I´ll wait tables and study when not. The new city is v IT Tech, so that should help too. Just being around in the area, is a bit inspiring. Figure it´ll be a year before I can get an entry position, if I can show skills/interest to counter the Must Be Fluent in 5 different major languages, with 5 years Experience, etc "requirement",)

I´m hoping that´s merely an unrealistic Wishlist of Suggestions,)
egjeg wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:20 am
My team of developers is currently myself and two women. My wider team has three additional female developers, so we have about a 10:4 male:female ratio of developers. A large percentage of the developers are east asian and don't enjoy alcohol or "frat culture". They do enjoy fifa, super smash brothers, and kfc.

I don't enjoy being social with people who i don't spend much time with, so typically only drink and socialize with 5-6 of my clisest colleagues.

In my opinion, being a good programner takes a lot of time, practice, and self-reliance. Don't be afraid to ask questions or look dumb, but if you do find there's a lot you don't know about some area, rather than expecting someone to teach you, spend your personal free time learning about it on your own. This is what the guys and girls who are any good are doing.
I don´t like gaming or cosplas etc type stuff, but starting looking a little at that, just cuz maybe I should atleast know a little about it. It seems to be Popular among alot. But neither are really my thing.
yep. Learning on my own, try to every day a bit. I enjoy that. A lot! And it´s a lot to learn!

thanks ya´ll