Malicious Spyware Detected - Phishing Scheme?

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more
Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Malicious Spyware Detected - Phishing Scheme?

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:54 am

Twice in the past week, I've had my browser wind up the below screen. It's accompanied by a computer generated lady's voice telling me to Microsoft Help in the next 5 minutes. Is this just a scam?
Malicious Spyware.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Re: Malicious Spyware Detected - Phishing Scheme?

Post by DCComic » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:58 am

Yup
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

ArchStanton
Stew Ingredient

Post by ArchStanton » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:38 am

Boinkity_Boink wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:54 am
Twice in the past week, I've had my browser wind up the below screen. It's accompanied by a computer generated lady's voice telling me to Microsoft Help in the next 5 minutes. Is this just a scam?
Malicious Spyware.JPG
I've got this several times already; I start the task manager and shut down the browser task that caused it. You can also hold down the power on/off switch to shut down your computer, then turn it on after a few seconds. It always starts up normally then.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:58 am

I get spam like that on my phone, most recently two days ago. A real, live person was on the phone, and he said he was with Microsoft's tech department. My computer, he said, had sent an alert to Microsoft that it was under attack, so I had to act quickly to solve the problem. "Are you at your computer right now?" I lied. "No, it's in the other room, and it's not turned on. Give me a minute, okay?" He said he'd wait, but every second counted. "Okay, I'm at my computer now, and it's starting up. What now?" He said he'd guide me through a series of steps that I needed to take to fight off the takeover of my computer. I said okay, then hung up.

The most important thing is, DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING ANYWHERE ON THAT PAGE. Even the innocent-looking "Prevent this page from creating additional dialogues" and the OK button may lock up your computer immediately if you click on them.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:09 am

Spammers seeking to get personal data such as stored passwords, bank and credit card information, etc., will often create a Web address that looks as if it's authentic.

The Web address that was at the top of your spammers' communication began with support.windows.com, but in fact the page they mimicked -- an actual Microsoft page -- is support.microsoft.com.

(I just checked.)
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:41 am

I liked a scam robocall the other day. A computer-generated voice introduced itself as Officer Jefferson of the Department of Social Security Administration (they could have said Department of Social Secuiity Department) and said there was a criminal action pending against my social security number. To avoid imprisonment, I was to revert to their department at such and such a number.

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 am

Call the number and just pretend to do what they say. Lie in response to all questions they ask, and report back to us.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:07 am

no. call immediately. credit card at hand. go.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:03 am

egjeg wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 am
Call the number and just pretend to do what they say. Lie in response to all questions they ask, and report back to us.
I am afraid that if I called back my number would go on a high-value list of suckers.

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:18 am

Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

gnd
Stew Ingredient

Post by gnd » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:44 am

egjeg wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:33 am
heh!

Programmer I know didthat recently....pretty funny. Did not last long, til scammer got pissed off and slammed down phone
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND