SD card reader connecting to phone

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more

Moderator: Moderator

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

SD card reader connecting to phone

Post by shilgia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:13 pm

If I got an SD card reader that connects to my phone (something like this, or like this one that also has a usb plug), would that be the most practical way to get photos off the card and onto the phone?

What I'd like to be able to do is take pictures with my 'real' camera, then transfer them to my phone for posting online, emailing to people, etc. This seems like it would be a solution, but there may be better ones. There are wifi adaptors that go onto the camera, e.g., but they are much more expensive. Is there any reason to go that route over the cable solution?

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Re: SD card reader connecting to phone

Post by egjeg » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:52 am

Assuming you have an iThing and it plays nice with the photo format produced by your camera (jpeg good, RAW bad) then one of those card readers will probably be faster and less battery hungry than those wifi SD cards. Wifi SD cards and even WiFi enabled cameras sound slick, but I've never had great results with them.

Disclaimer: I've never used a USB reader with an iThing and last time I used an iThing it was near impossible to "move" a file -- such as a photo -- from one application to another. I assume that however the USB reader works would account for that and allow uploading the contents of the SD card, as well as viewing them, but I wouldn't put it past Apple to only let you access the SD card contents from within a single iApplication.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Re: SD card reader connecting to phone

Post by shilgia » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:57 am

Thanks!

I ended up going with this cheap thing and it works fantastically. It transfers jpg and RAW to and from camera, phone, computer. (The phone is an iThing and can't display RAW, but can still apparently hold the files.) The transfers are pretty fast, too.