NAS drives

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more

Moderator: Moderator

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

NAS drives

Post by nycfellow » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:14 pm

Anyone know much about NAS drives? We have an old one, that I no longer trust, plus I want a 2-bay drive that can be set up in RAID configuration. I was looking at a QNAP 215-A, with 2 4TB Seagate drives. If anyone has other thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Re: NAS drives

Post by mad hatter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:42 pm

whats the old one and why dont you trust it?

what do you use it for?
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:00 am

It's a QNAP as well. I don't trust it because of it's age and because it's a single bay drive, so doesn't support RAID. It's the central photo, home video and music repository. It also gets used for transferring stuff between the different household computers, but any network drive will do that just fine.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:29 am

well for photos Id do this

https://www.google.com/intl/en-GB_ALL/drive/

https://support.google.com/photos/answe ... roid&hl=en

the free accoutn at 15Gb with slightly compressed google photo storage not counting towards limit is a good starter then the 100Gb paid account if you need it is perhaps a better option than shelling out for a NAS.

https://www.google.com/intl/en-GB_ALL/drive/pricing/

However if you're streaming movies or tv then local storage is better but tbh cloud storage is for more backed up for family photos than an entry level 2 disc RAID array

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:11 am

FYI

Ive got a local entry level 2 3Tb disc RAID array synology NAS 214 that I use for movies streaming plus home security camera system with my photos on google. the old WD cloud 2Tb storagw Ivw mapped as a share to the NAS and store tv and music.

nycfellow
Stew Ingredient

Post by nycfellow » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:59 pm

I looked at the newest Synology and it seemed a little underpowered. And as I said, I'm not doing cloud storage. I may buy a little plug in drive, back up all the photos and home video and give it to friends, so there's an off-site backup.

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:59 am

I recently got a Synology DS216j. It meets your requirements. I like it, but the little apps it runs vary pretty widely in terms of quality. All the preinstalled stuff is good though. Pretty highly configurable. It is underpowered for watching HD videos with something like Plex, unless you have a real computer attached that acts as the Plex server and just use the NAS for storing the video.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:09 am

egjeg wrote:I recently got a Synology DS216j. It meets your requirements. I like it, but the little apps it runs vary pretty widely in terms of quality. All the preinstalled stuff is good though. Pretty highly configurable. It is underpowered for watching HD videos with something like Plex, unless you have a real computer attached that acts as the Plex server and just use the NAS for storing the video.
all those home NAS boxes seem underspecd for running plex and transcoding, especially h265 files. defo need a plex server.

or buy a 2nd hand tower box stuff it full of drives and run FreeNAS

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:38 am

Why would you waste drives running RAID?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:40 am

Yeah I have been wondering that since I moved anything I really want to keep onto Gdrive.

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:17 am

muthafunky wrote:Why would you waste drives running RAID?

So you don't lose data when a drive fails
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:08 pm

egjeg wrote:
muthafunky wrote:Why would you waste drives running RAID?

So you don't lose data when a drive fails

Yep. I've ripped about 2 TB worth of music. I don't really think I'd enjoy ripping 2,000 + CDs a second time given that it wasn't much fun to do it in the first place. Seems like common sense to me.

I've got the same NAS that egjeg has, and (knock on wood) haven't had any problems yet.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:41 pm

I'm assuming if you're that worried about losing data you have an offsite backup somewhere otherwise a fire, water leak, robbery etc will take out all the drives in your RAID array. RAID isn't really appropriate as a backup, it's mostly to prevent an interruption in operation if you lose a drive. That makes sense for a highly available online service, less so for an end consumer.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:59 pm

I do have an offsite 3 TB external Hard Drive. I update it about once a month or so.

All hard drives fail at some point, fires and robbery are just a matter of bad luck. I'm just trying to minimize the chances of a mechanical failure bringing things crashing to a halt until I get around to picking up the external drive and to avoid having to take the hard drive back and forth constantly whenever I add new music.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 pm

That's why a cloud backup is better than a physical drive offsite.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:09 pm

I'm not very familiar with the whole "cloud" thing, but I'd imagine that 2TB+ of cloud storage might be a bit expensive to keep, no?

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:38 pm

It depends on your budget I guess. I use Carbonite, which I believe is one of the more expensive services. It's $5 per month. You get unlimited storage.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:19 pm

When I just did a quick google earlier, it was pricing out at around $8 a month for 2TB. Didn't bother checking how much 3 TB would be. I should have looked a bit deeper.

Yeah, $60 a year isn't too bad, but since my current set up seems to be working fine for me and since I've already got the hardware it's a zero cost operation, so I'm not in too much of a rush to change things.

I'll have to start learning a bit more about the cloud though, I'm obviously pretty outdated when it comes to knowledge of current computer tech. All I'd heard about the cloud so far was related to potential privacy issues. Whether or not that remains an issue is pretty much irrelevant for my purposes anyway. Thanks for the suggestion, you've piqued my interest.

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:45 pm

muthafunky wrote:I'm assuming if you're that worried about losing data you have an offsite backup somewhere otherwise a fire, water leak, robbery etc will take out all the drives in your RAID array. RAID isn't really appropriate as a backup, it's mostly to prevent an interruption in operation if you lose a drive. That makes sense for a highly available online service, less so for an end consumer.

It took me under an hour to copy 1 TB to my RAID NAS. The NAS is now in the process of cloning that data to Glacier over the fastest internet connection available in my area, and is on track to finish in about 18 months.

I could physically transport a copy offsite, but there would be significant associated cost and inconvenience, not to mention infrequent updates to the offsite copy if it is physically transported. If I just create the offsite copy over the internet and don't have a copy on a second drive, then I'm exposed to risk of data loss due to drive failure for up to 18 months during the initial clone.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:16 pm

muthafunky wrote:It depends on your budget I guess. I use Carbonite, which I believe is one of the more expensive services. It's $5 per month. You get unlimited storage.
idrive looks like its got a synology NAS app which is attractive. might look at that then 'unraid' the nas and free up 3Tb

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:04 am

I use Backblaze. I like it. $5 a month unlimited.
https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe