Laptop trackpad issue

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more

Moderator: Moderator

leela
Stew Ingredient

Laptop trackpad issue

Post by leela » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:14 pm

I picked up a new laptop today. I'm reasonably happy with everything other than the trackpad. My finger just can't move smoothly over it. It catches all the time, and it's really irritating.
Is there anything I can do about it? The reviews I read about the laptop didn't seem to have an issue with it (apart from one that I read today when I googled specifically for it.

It's a Lenovo Ideapad 710s btw.
Pass the wine...

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Re: Laptop trackpad issue

Post by pezworld » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Is it the physical feel of the trackpad or what happens onscreen when you use it?

Because if it's the latter, a new driver might solve the problem. I went from a Macbook (with an excellent trackpad) to a Dell XPS13 with merely a decent one. I wanted it to act a little more like the Macbook, and I wanted to be able to tweak the right-click function. I got close with a new Synaptics trackpad driver. Though last time Windows 10 updated itself, it went back to the stock trackpad driver, and I had to reinstall the Synaptics driver. I'd been warned about that and had saved the instructions on how to do it.

You'd probably want to google your model of laptop and "trackpad" or touchpad issues to see if it could solve your problem.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:36 pm

I hate trackpads. I disable them and use a mouse.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:15 pm

cuchulainn wrote:I hate trackpads. I disable them and use a mouse.

I agree except with my MacBook- that trackpad is great.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:26 pm

Bastet wrote:
cuchulainn wrote:I hate trackpads. I disable them and use a mouse.

I agree except with my MacBook- that trackpad is great.

True, I hated them until the Macbook. But the Dell's isn't half bad.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Thing is, I'm generally doing stuff with my laptop sitting on the (wide) arm of my sofa, or often posting on here in bed. So a mouse isn't any use.
I've heard that the Dell's is good, but that's not far off double what my budget was.

Yeah. this just doesn't feel accurate or responsive. Problems are when finger is 'too slippy' and not much happens, or 'stumbles'. It's hard to explain.
Pass the wine...

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 pm

The trackpad is really the only thing I like about my MacBook. I haven't bothered with a mouse for it in months.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.