VPNs

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more
leela
Stew Ingredient

VPNs

Post by leela » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:06 pm

Which are the best? Are the paid for ones significantly better than the free ones?

I'm going to need one for Iran, if I want to use FB and messenger. Internet is pretty slow there to start with, so I'd prefer not to have a slow or inefficient VPN in addition.
Pass the wine...

Cinnamon
Stew Ingredient

Re: VPNs

Post by Cinnamon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Encrypted data is a beacon to the authoritarian state. Remember that.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:58 am

Betternet is a free one that also has a premium version with more servers and seems to be a lot less buggier and more reliable than the free version. I think it's a ploy.

Astrill is good. Has a lot of servers. But some of them don't work on the streaming services I want to use the VPN for. That's when I switch to my free wonky Betternet. But overall it's reliable and simple. I do hear they keep info on you.

ExpressVPN gets good word of mouth reviews but I've never used it myself.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:59 am

So to answer your question, yes I think paid are better and I like Astrill despite its few cons.

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:06 am

If you care more about cost than speed, I'd just use tor. It's robust, free, and bloody slow.
If you want something fast (fast enough for video or 100mb+ downloads) you'll probably have to pay. It looks like the list of popular VPNs to use for China has completely changed since I left in 2013, showing how short-lived these services can be. Most recommended option now seems to be ExpressVPN, at $13 for 1 month, which seems comparable to other paid VPN services I've seen.

It's possible that Iran does its best to stop all options (free or paid) from functioning. I know China does. But usually there are ways around their blocks. The ways around with tor will probably be more DIY and technical than with a paid vpn.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks. ExpressVPN seems to have the best reviews at the moment. I've been advised to download a couple though, so there's a back up if need be.
Pass the wine...