Cord cutting

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more
Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Re: Cord cutting

Post by Electrolyte » Tue May 09, 2017 5:30 pm

I don't understand why people want streaming services. I kind of get it for sports if you have to watch live, but for TV shows? Ok, you can sign up for DVR service and FF over commercials, but regular Hulu edits out the commercials.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue May 09, 2017 6:19 pm

I don't really understand what you're saying. Hulu's existing service is more of a back catalog of stuff, similar to Netflix. Adding streaming means you can get the latest stuff, and steaming + DVR means you can watch the latest shows when you want.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:05 pm

I think we're finally doing it!

Recently, Dish Network updated its software, and it's a dog. It makes no sense, and may have broken our old Dish tuner/DVR. So I call them about the two-gen-later DVR, and they'd be happy to sell it to us ... for $100 plus $5 more a month. OR I can get the Gen 2 version (probably two years old model) for "free" if I sign another 24 month contract. Are you freaking kidding me? We pay $136/month for HBO, Showtime and 200something channels we never watch.

Husband put up ancient rabbit ears again to test OTA (we're in a bit of a canyon, with a mini hill possibly between us and Mt. Wilson, where most of the transmitters are). He must have hit the magic place because we got all the channels except for one, with minimal pixelation. Proof of concept. We're gonna pay for a rooftop antenna (rabbit ears won't really do), and probably buy a Tivo Roamio OTA for DVR for the antenna (around $400 but no subscription cost). Then I'm leaning toward the Sling service. I actually put together a spreadsheet to compare the services, using a table I found on some website. Copied/Pasted all that into Excel, added a column for priority, then filtered/sorted on that to pick services.

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv-vs ... -compared/
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:20 am

muthafunky wrote:I don't really understand what you're saying. Hulu's existing service is more of a back catalog of stuff, similar to Netflix. Adding streaming means you can get the latest stuff, and steaming + DVR means you can watch the latest shows when you want.

Sorry, didn't see your reply. Yes, Hulu regular is good. But then why add streaming? Because you can't wait for your show to appear in on demand, which might be a wait of just a few hours? And streaming is expensive. You can get a cloud dvr, but then you pay even more, and you have to remember to record your show. Then when you watch you have to ff over commercials (if they even allow you).

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:37 pm

We got our rooftop antenna installed today! 168 channels! Freeeee!

Better yet, the golf is on both satellite and over the air. This is over the air - really much brighter/saturated/clearer than satellite.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 pm

pezworld wrote:We got our rooftop antenna installed today! 168 channels! Freeeee!

Yikes! Can you provide some details (available channels, cost, ...)?

pezworld wrote:golf is on both satellite and over the air.

Sounds like it might be worth it anyway.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:53 pm

My little $10 HD antenna that is the size of a piece of paper was able to get like 20 stations, including all the major networks with great quality. Can't imagine what a rooftop one would give me. Probably stuff from Canada.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Electrolyte wrote:
pezworld wrote:We got our rooftop antenna installed today! 168 channels! Freeeee!

Yikes! Can you provide some details (available channels, cost, ...)?

pezworld wrote:golf is on both satellite and over the air.

Sounds like it might be worth it anyway.

We got this antenna for $43 on Amazon. Actually it got put on the slow boat and didn't arrive when they said it would, so we price matched at Fry's for the same price - normally $80 there. They may sell them at Best Buy, Home Depot etc. as well, but ehs was saying they tend to be out of stock.

We had a hell of a time finding anyone who would install it on our roof. I searched Yelp and had a lot of people respond that they don't install rooftop antennas anymore. Someone suggested we talk to guys who install satellite dishes, because they're usually subcontractors of those companies and are happy to crawl on the roof, and the skills are nearly identical. Somehow I found this guy who does Home Theater installation and was willing to do it. He was probably pricey at $160 but got the job done. (Husband pointed out that it was pricey, but we had originally thought he'd have to run new cable all the way from the rooftop antenna to our TV, by going under the house. As it happened, he found cable from an old satellite installation, not our current one, so he just used that.)

Basically, you buy antenna, install it onto roof or under it using included mounting brackets and a small pole, and hook it up to coax cable which goes into your house. You may need an amplifier if your signal is weak or if you want to split the cable into two or more for different rooms, which will weaken your signal. We didn't need that.

Then you hook the other end into your TV directly, assuming it's newer and includes a digital tuner. I imagine most TVs 10 years old or newer are fine for this.

The antenna has to be pointed, more or less, correctly to where the most signals are coming from. It's not as precise as pointing a satellite dish, fortunately. Think about how you set up rabbit ears.

Once it's in the TV, the newer TVs will have a function where you go through menus to find available antenna channels. Run that, which takes a few minutes. Then you know what you'll actually have, and also your tuner will skip stations you don't get. If you are trying different antenna positions, you'll run this process each time.

There's a site that gives you an idea about reception based on your home address, taking into account geography and distance to transmitters (mine are around 30 miles away, on top of a mountain). You can guess how good/bad your reception will be based on that.

If you're confident, try cheap rabbit ears first, and move them around. My husband did this one Saturday, accidentally found a good position, and found 52 channels. The good ones are crystal clear, MUCH better than cable or satellite because there's no compression. That's when I realized it's time to start doing this.

As for programming, remember when you were a kid and had maybe channels 2, 4, 7, etc.? Now there are a lot more. For example, there's a 2-1 (the old 2), plus a 2-2, 2-3 etc. In LA there's a lot of crap on those channels, plus shows you watched as a kid (they're cheap now). Also, a LOT of non-English language programming. We have a bunch of Korean channels, and we get NHK news too (in English, from Japan), which I enjoy. Armenian too. Shopping channels, etc. The golf I mentioned was just the CBS or NBC golf, but crystal clear.

We just bought a Tivo Roamio OTA to act as our DVR for OTA, and programming. It's $400, but includes all TiVo guides for the life of the box, which is often a monthly fee. And we're now using Sling TV for "cable" channels, using our Roku, though we have an Amazon Fire Stick on order because we just got an Echo Dot and can change channels using voice commands through that. It's a free trial and month-to-month, and we might be spending up to $70/month for a lot of channels including HBO and Showtime. We haven't signed up yet. There are other services as mentioned above.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:09 pm

One more thing: Check this site, input your own zip code and select antenna to see what's even possible in your area.
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings ... aid=zap2it

I can use it as a guide for my antenna reception, since I believe I can actually receive most of those channels with my awesome antenna!

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 pm

i use antenna plus a Chromecast dongle ... which i love.
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:07 pm

A rooftop antenna might be difficult for me since I live in a large apartment building, but I could run it by the board.

I thought of getting a small indoor HD antenna just to get the small handful of local channels in real time, mainly for sports. If that works well then I can get a DVR to go with it. There's a DVR specially made for people with antennas (forgot the name; begins with T and 2 syllables, I think.)

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Tivo OTA does that.

My teeny paper slim antenna in my basement was able to get dozen of channels.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:43 pm

How widespread are those pirate systems like Agent00To55er is talking about? I have zero interest in giving money to those guys.

How reliable are they?

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:30 pm

muthafunky wrote:Tivo OTA does that.

My teeny paper slim antenna in my basement was able to get dozen of channels.

I bought the Tivo Roamio OTA. It's pretty cool.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:38 pm

rider5 wrote:How widespread are those pirate systems like Agent00To55er is talking about? I have zero interest in giving money to those guys.

How reliable are they?

I'm leery of illegitimate TV, but my husband's brother in law has Kodi in Australia and that's how he gets his golf fix. Oh, my friend Shariska too, I think.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:45 pm

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:37 am

Golf? I think I might put you on ignore. But thanks for the answer before I cut you off.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:46 am

rider5 wrote:Golf? I think I might put you on ignore. But thanks for the answer before I cut you off.

Ha ha. Though I do play - very badly - we find golf on TV useful for, you know, napping. Even though husband is far more enthusiastic (and a better player) than I am, he still sleeps to golf much longer than he watches it awake.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:04 am

You're not the only people I've known to use golf tv as a soporific. Someone should alert potpie I guess

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:37 am

i forgot you usa people had forgotten how to use aerials for terrestrial broadcast tv!
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:48 pm

rider5 wrote:How widespread are those pirate systems like Agent00To55er is talking about? I have zero interest in giving money to those guys.

How reliable are they?

Very reliable if Agent is talking about Kodi etc....we stream nearly all the time but stupidlyi still have a cable connection and even more stupidly i still have the whole package...this is because of sport,these pirate things are unreliable for live sport so i'm kinda stuck really.

There's no fcuking way i'm watching a dodgy stream of live cricket...life is too short.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Lincoln wrote:

How reliable are they?

Very reliable if Agent is talking about Kodi etc....we stream nearly all the time but stupidlyi still have a cable connection and even more stupidly i still have the whole package...this is because of sport,these pirate things are unreliable for live sport so i'm kinda stuck really.

There's no fcuking way i'm watching a dodgy stream of live cricket...life is too short.

au contraire lincoln. i watched a pirate stream of live sport and it was very good. 9.50gbp per month.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:14 am

I'm not giving money to thieves - that's why I won't do that pirate immorality.

I'm sorry to hear it's reliable and doesn't fuck up your hardware.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:05 pm

You suck ass.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:42 pm

I agree with rider!

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:05 pm

cry me a river

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Even if you have no ethical qualms, you still have to pay, and what kind of selection and interface do you get?

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:51 am

Lincoln wrote:

How reliable are they?

Kodi is only a player, not a stream or service. It doesn't even ship with any addons that support pirate streams, or include any such addons in the official addon repository.
It's like saying that your tape deck is a reliable source of bootlegs.
hth
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:06 am

Electrolyte wrote:Even if you have no ethical qualms, you still have to pay, and what kind of selection and interface do you get?

a very good one

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:16 am

egjeg wrote:
Lincoln wrote:Very reliable if Agent is talking about Kodi etc....we stream nearly all the time but stupidlyi still have a cable connection and even more stupidly i still have the whole package...this is because of sport,these pirate things are unreliable for live sport so i'm kinda stuck really.

Kodi is only a player, not a stream or service. It doesn't even ship with any addons that support pirate streams, or include any such addons in the official addon repository.
hth

So it turns out, unsurprisingly, that lincoln doesn't know his ass end from a hole in the ground.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:10 pm

How reliable are they?

I degree, they dont deserve a penny. Especially for sport. The only way i can watch some of the games i want is via a pirate stream.
Whats better for the teams, me watching a pirate stream, or not watching at all?....
All these people talking about cutting the cord by buying firesticks, hulu, sling, and other streeeming services makes me larf.
Just because you are paying le55 doesnt meeen youve cut the cord, generally it means you have more cords... Ha!

As for Kodi reliability, ive never really had a problem with it. I did have to have it updated once by the guy that i got it from, but i think i could of figured it out myself if i tried.
A kodi box is basically a raspberry pi (the box) and kodi (the software/program).
Kodi cruises the net for streams of what you wanna watch and organizes them for you. (The streams are generally accessible on your computer if you go to the websites they are hosted, like vodlocker)

For watching tv shows and movies, it has almost never failed. It basically has Everything. The only time if never got the movie i wanted was when we wanted the old version of 'the blob' and even though it said it was the old version, it would always play the lame new one with kevin dillon.

Ive been watching WKRP, newsradio, game of thrones lately. Ive been told forevah in my travels to watch only fools and horses, ive just found it so thats next. Also the nasa live space station feeed is pretty koool on the big screen. There are other live cams as well. You can get tv/cable channels from acro55 the country/world.

As sooon as a movie hits the theatre its there, though the quality is usually shit for the 1st month or so. Wonder women has a 720 version up, my friend says its ok. Sound will usually be good but the picture not so good, been filmed in a theatre, has chinese subtitles, sometimes people getting up and down. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has a really good stream ive beeen told.
I usually wait till they come out on dvd, then you are guarantied top quality.

The only real problem i have is with sports, especially soccer. It just wont pick up the feeeds sometimes. Which is a total bummer. But i just plug in my laptop to watch what i want so no big deal as imo sport is the easiest thing to find streams of the Internets.
Ive had no trouble finding cardinal baseball games, or blues hockey.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:20 pm

So I'd thought it would be nice to get some free antenna reception in the bedroom too, and so I bought some rabbit ears, but the reception was dismal. However, the house is wired with coaxial and the bedroom has some cables (like, three) popping in from the floor from various cable/satellite installations. ehs thought maybe the antenna guy might have split the rooftop antenna output already, but no. I was all ready to buy a different internal antenna for another $25.

Suddenly he goes into his man-cave, produces a coax splitter from god knows where/when, and manages to split it from outside the house on a very hot day. He hooked the other output to the coax cable coming into the bedroom closest to the TV. Now the bedroom TV has 150 channels as well. It did not degrade the living room signal, either.

VERY happy with the husband!

My next idea is to find a cheap/old Slingbox so we can view out of home or on a laptop/tablet in the home. But the TiVo output is HDMI and the Slingbox input is component (this is to get around the digital rights management, I believe.) So it would require maybe $80 for the Slingbox and another $25 for stuff to convert HDMI to component. So much for cheap.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:22 pm

egjeg wrote:
Lincoln wrote:

How reliable are they?

hth

Well duh! obviously i know that or how would i have been able to stream all the stuff we've been watching you spastic?

Anyone with a computer and internet connection can load all the necessary stuff on to kodi...its a piece of piss.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Lincoln wrote:
egjeg wrote:
Lincoln wrote:[quote="rider5"]How widespread are those pirate systems like Agent00To55er is talking about? I have zero interest in giving money to those guys.

How reliable are they?

hth

Well duh! obviously i know that or how would i have been able to stream all the stuff we've been watching you spastic?

Anyone with a computer and internet connection can load all the necessary stuff on to kodi...its a piece of piss.[/quote]
kodi wasnt built to play drm material, unlike a tape deck.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:09 pm

I was missing my K-dramas here in Korea, because my favorite K-drama streaming site, Dramafever, can't be seen here in Korea.

My beloved built me a little pipeline, a virtual VPN, to one of his Raspberry Pis back at home. So with very little effort I'm watching anything that I can see through my browser (Firefox only) that's geo-restricted to the USA.

All useful as I fucked up my back a bit a few days ago, and had to hang out here in Seoul for a day or two on the sofa.

I don't think it'll work on Sling TV because we access that through an app, rather than the browser. But Dramafever and Netflix should be fine.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:28 pm

When I travel internationally, if I use satellite service on my phone and tell my apps not to track my location I can access my US TV subscriptions that don't work when I access them using wifi, for example when I access them on my computer.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 pm

muthafunky wrote:My little $10 HD antenna that is the size of a piece of paper was able to get like 20 stations, including all the major networks with great quality. Can't imagine what a rooftop one would give me. Probably stuff from Canada.

Ohh swear words and titties...I say make the investment.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

landbaby24
Stew Ingredient

Post by landbaby24 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:58 pm

I know this is cord cutting but using Kodi with unofficial kodi add-ons is illegal

Some people use VPN, especially in Europe. There are other cord cutting ways with other media streamers like roku and chromecast

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:44 am

People on this site don't give a shit about theft.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:15 am

!