Next gen xbox requires always on internet

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Next gen xbox requires always on internet

Post by muthafunky » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:56 pm

I used to work with this guy and everyone thought he was a complete jackass. Well now he's gone and made some stupid comments via twitter that have really taken off and gotten everyone speculating the next xbox will require a persistent internet connection. Not sure I'd leap that far yet but it's fun to see the scorn come down on Adam Orth.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534951

CatScanMan
Goat Roper

Re: Next gen xbox requires always on internet

Post by CatScanMan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Seems like a dickhead. If this is true there's no way I'm getting an Xbox 720. An Internet connection required to play single player games or other functions not needing to be online? No way I'm buying something like that and I think many people will be the same.

Also, since any console I get will likely be online 99.99% of the time I don't want any cameras pointing at me in the form of an integrated PS Eye or Kinnect. That's too big brother. I don't care if I disable it in the settings because frankly I don't trust that. I could put tape over it but I'm not doing that and there's a good chance the controller/UI/a lot of games will make use of that camera anyway so it's not really optional.

Basically, go Steambox. Valve and Gabe are highly regarded by gamers for good reason.

CatScanMan
Goat Roper

Post by CatScanMan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Sony seems to be winning the preamble by allowing second hand games, better than Xbox 720 specs, and no 'always online' requirement. It's surprising because Sony has a strong tradition of insanity which has taken them from riches to (almost) rags.

Not sure either they or Valve have the money to compete with Microsoft in what is largely a subsidy battle though. The 'cheap razors but expensive blades' model.

CatScanMan
Goat Roper

Post by CatScanMan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:37 pm

Where's the Apple console anyway? They're got the money, the software, the online shop, the product design, the marketing, the everything. They could own it.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:26 pm

I don't know about that. I'm currently downloading an enhanced graphics version of the '90s RPG Baldur's Gate on my MacBook, which passes for state of the art on the App Store, and the 1.7Gb file will take between 30 and 45 minutes to load for some bizarre reason.

The phone app store seems speedy enough but most of the developer money is made from "free to play" games and I'm not sure how that model would work on a device you've paid three figures for and sits in your room to play games on. To conclude, I love Apple music and productivity apps but for entertainment they suck.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:55 am

I have no doubt that at some point in the future we will assume everyone has a persistent connection to the Internet like we do with electricity today. But I don't think at day is today and I'd agree this only helps Sony if true.

I heard through the grapevine that Adm Orth was fired from MS over this.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:04 am

Hang on. Who doesn't have always on internet? Is it a geography thing?

CatScanMan
Goat Roper

Post by CatScanMan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:45 pm

I love Apple music and productivity apps but for entertainment they suck.

All they need is competitive drivers for their GPUs and they could give anyone a run for their money in gaming.

I heard through the grapevine that Adm Orth was fired from MS over this.

Just Googled him and that's not on the Internet yet. I whether the reasons for that included revealing trade secrets or not. Microsoft has been strangely quiet on the Xbox 720 after Sony revealed a lot about the PS4. I wonder if they've been outflanked somewhat.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Chi_Rup wrote:Hang on. Who doesn't have always on internet? Is it a geography thing?

I really hope this is a joke.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Just Googled him and that's not on the Internet yet. I whether the reasons for that included revealing trade secrets or not. Microsoft has been strangely quiet on the Xbox 720 after Sony revealed a lot about the PS4. I wonder if they've been outflanked somewhat.

I think it's less about trade secrets and more about making the company look bad. If the 720 will require persistent Internet it's going to be controversial and this is surely not the kind of press they want announcing the fact.

sieve
Stew Ingredient

Post by sieve » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:18 am

I saw that. He was an ass.
The fortunate man is seldom satisfied with the fact of being fortunate. Beyond this, he needs to know that he has a right to his good fortune. He wants to be convinced that he 'deserves it', and above all, that he deserves it in comparison with others...