Stupid "improvements"

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more
Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Stupid "improvements"

Post by Scrubb » Mon May 06, 2019 4:14 am

Firefox: for years and years I had my banking usernames saved so they were always there when I went to log in, but I did NOT save my passwords. It worked great - I didn't have to type in the 8, 12 or 16 digit numbers of my accounts, which I don't have memorized, but if someone stole my computer the passwords weren't saved so they couldn't steal all my money.

The past few months that suddenly changed and my usernames aren't there anymore. It seems Firefox will now only save logins AND passwords both, or neither. Even if I click "remember me" on the webpage, if I don't save the password in the firefox pop up, that's it, the username is not saved either.

Stupid reduced functionality.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Re: Stupid "improvements"

Post by rider5 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:47 pm

Try KeePass for password storage. You can also run it off a thumb drive.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon May 06, 2019 2:40 pm

Scrubb, I'm with you 100 percent, having just gone through essentially the same rigmarole.

I had a few problems with a new wireless keyboard and mouse, and when I called the manufacturer for technical support, they made some changes to my computer to fix the problems. Everything worked fine -- at least until I turned off my computer that night. When I turned on my computer the next morning and clicked on my bookmark for Gmail, I got a message that Gmail didn't recognize me "on this computer."

Like you, I had some sites remember me, so over time I forgot my passwords. Not only that, I had forgotten some of the answers to some of my security questions. Who had I named as my best friend in elementary school? Was it my friend from the Catholic school, or the one from the public school my parents transferred me to?

After several hours trying to fix things via computer (unsuccessful) and by phone, all is working again.

What fun!
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Tue May 07, 2019 2:25 am

Thanks, rider, I'll look into that. I could also just make a master password for my computer that's required to look up saved passwords, but I'm starting to worry about remembering yet another one.

NA - sounds like a real PITA. Glad to hear you got it all sorted out.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot