The demographics of hateful twits...I mean tweets

Sponsored by Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow
birdlite
Stew Ingredient

The demographics of hateful twits...I mean tweets

Post by birdlite » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:03 pm

This is a map of nasty tweets that were geo-tagged during the week of the election.
Researchers searched Twitter for tweets containing certain racially derogatory terms -- "monkey" and one other -- as well as "Obama," "reelected" or "won." They then gave each state a score based on its number of such tweets compared with its overall Twitter activity.

The analysis looked only at geocoded tweets sent Nov. 1 through 7. It found 395 election-related tweets with the specific derogatory terms.

The color-coded map shows which states have higher scores: The darker the green, the higher the concentration of election-related "hate tweets." States with a relatively low concentration of such tweets, scoring 1 or lower, are marked in yellow.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technol ... 4594.story

Flobster
Stew Ingredient

Re: The demographics of hateful twits...I mean tweets

Post by Flobster » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Interesting, although given the posts we rub shoulders with here without outrage, it's a bit much to point the figer at "hateful" tweets.

And WTF is a 'Floating Sheep'?
The world ended on 21 December 2012.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 am

What does the one tracking insults toward Romney look like? .... What? They didn't do one? I find that hard to believe. :shock:
The First White Man to Ever be Woke

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:54 am

Annotated wrote:What does the one tracking insults toward Romney look like? .... What? They didn't do one? I find that hard to believe. :shock:

Poor wealthy white men!

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:15 am

Annotated wrote:What does the one tracking insults toward Romney look like? .... What? They didn't do one? I find that hard to believe.
like a moth to a flame.

Annot - you want anti-Romney tweets? Not hard to find as the RNC collected them... inadvertently as the Romney posse was wont to do with anything web-related. http://www.clickz.com/clickz/news/22028 ... ney-tweets

Cisco
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cisco » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:11 pm

If you really want to read some hateful anti-Romney tweets, look here:

http://twitchy.com/2012/11/06/death-thr ... -campaign/

Cisco
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cisco » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:14 pm

This batch threatens riots if Romney wins:

http://twitchy.com/2012/11/02/as-electi ... t-threats/

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Cisco wrote:This batch threatens riots if Romney wins:

http://twitchy.com/2012/11/02/as-electi ... t-threats/

Oh Cisco, we've already been through that. Old news, even on this forum. We all agreed that all threats were offensive and stupid. No one ever thought that there weren't or wouldn't be offensive tweets about Romney or Pinup Paul. Republicans don't have a lock on hate or twits.

The point is the geo-mapping.

But you knew that.

joeyramone
Stew Ingredient

Post by joeyramone » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Doesn't it look like one of those red dots is in Naperville?
"Your fairy tale would sound better if two elves came out and did the Safety Dance at the end." Logg to Zaffer

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Alaska not noted? Welfare bludgers.

Oklahoma yellow? Maybe they haven't learned how to twit.

Minnesota? Never misunderestimate the power of drunk Scandis.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 pm

2wilzgood wrote:Alaska not noted? Welfare bludgers.

Oklahoma yellow? Maybe they haven't learned how to twit.

Minnesota? Never misunderestimate the power of drunk Scandis.

Minnesota - think Michelle Bachmann terror-tory.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:06 pm

birdlite wrote:The point is the geo-mapping.

The point is the one-sided geo-mapping. Why is this interesting to you? Wouldn't it be more interesting to see both sides? ... To me, that WOULD actually be interesting.

I'm quite sure these motherfuckers didn't even THINK of considering both sides. They had an agenda to promote, and they went about it doggedly. Let's give them that.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Annotated wrote:

The point is the one-sided geo-mapping. Why is this interesting to you? Wouldn't it be more interesting to see both sides? ... To me, that WOULD actually be interesting.

I'm quite sure these motherfuckers didn't even THINK of considering both sides. They had an agenda to promote, and they went about it doggedly. Let's give them that.[/quote

It would be interesting to see any geo-tagging. I wonder what racial epithets they would survey for Romney/Ryan. Romney and #cult (the billy graham option)? Romney and #caymanislands ? Romney and #fancyprancypony? Ryan and #ihatefertilitytreatments or Ryan and #IheartAkin >?

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 pm

birdlite wrote:
Annotated wrote:

I'm quite sure these motherfuckers didn't even THINK of considering both sides. They had an agenda to promote, and they went about it doggedly. Let's give them that.[/quote

It would be interesting to see any geo-tagging. I wonder what racial epithets they would survey for Romney/Ryan. Romney and #cult (the billy graham option)? Romney and #caymanislands ? Romney and #fancyprancypony? Ryan and #ihatefertilitytreatments or Ryan and #IheartAkin >?

This would be an interesting one -- assassination threats for one vs the other. I'd love to see that one.

crzypt
Incorrigible Testiclast

Post by crzypt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:08 pm

It's an interesting idea but once I looked at the sample size I was a lot less impressed

395 tweets total spread out over a country with a population of roughly 320 million
Most reputable estimates of eligible voters run somewhere around 200 million

The only thing that could possibly be of any real significance is the geographic distribution, and even that is suspect. This could easily be more a measure of "where do the Really dumb racists live" than anything else. The vast majority of the out-and-out racists in my "liberal" state probably know better than to post their views on social media for all the world to see, but that sure doesn't mean they don't exist
I yam what I yam....except when I'm a sweet potato

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:37 pm

crzypt wrote:It's an interesting idea but once I looked at the sample size I was a lot less impressed

395 tweets total spread out over a country with a population of roughly 320 million
Most reputable estimates of eligible voters run somewhere around 200 million

The only thing that could possibly be of any real significance is the geographic distribution, and even that is suspect. This could easily be more a measure of "where do the Really dumb racists live" than anything else. The vast majority of the out-and-out racists in my "liberal" state probably know better than to post their views on social media for all the world to see, but that sure doesn't mean they don't exist

go to the floating sheep site. their process is impressive. http://www.floatingsheep.org/
Reagrding the sample size and the geocoding, they say this:
What about the sample size? 395 doesn’t seem like that many?

The 395 tweets mentioned are the number of geocoded tweets referencing the given keywords from November 1 until November 7 at approximately 4:00 pm EST. This is NOT a sample, but the total population of geocoded tweets that matched our search criteria as outlined in the post. Geocoded tweets make up a tiny fraction of overall Twitter activity (could be as large as 5% or as small as less than 1%), so the actual number of tweets referencing these keywords is likely much, much larger, though we are not sure as to this number.

That said, we don't know what the geographical distribution of non-geocoded tweets is. However, given that many geocoded tweets are the product of GPS-enabled smart phones, it is likely that geocoded tweets tend to come from wealthier locations. All things being equal, this means that the geocoded data likely underrepresents relatively poorer and more rural locations. Should this actually be the case, the location quotients for Mississippi and Alabama would actually be even higher than our initial study showed, but the exact nature of this phenomena is unknown.

This is for Annot:
Why didn’t you map references to hateful comments towards Mitt Romney?

First, the motivation for this posting was the observations posted on the Jezebel blog linked in our original post, noting the uptick in racist tweets following President Obama’s re-election. Second, we focus on racist language directed at President Obama because racism directed at black Americans is not only historically more significant, but because it also highlights the persistence of explicitly racist attitudes in what some have (fallaciously) termed ‘post-racial America’. Third, we did check for both the number of tweets referencing Mitt Romney containing some racially charged terms, as well as the number of derogatory comments about white people. Depending on the terminology used, the results show that there are 7-15x the amount hateful tweets direct towards President Obama than Mitt Romney.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:05 pm

The fact is for the first time in history there were no WASPs on either ticket, and America just returned a black man to the White House, and the worst that's happening is some angry tweets.

I think it's pretty remarkable.