Chris Christie

Sponsored by Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow

Moderator: Moderator

crzypt
Incorrigible Testiclast

Chris Christie

Post by crzypt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:40 am

Lots of idle speculation in the past year or so about the Grandest member of the Grand Old Party running for national office in 2016, despite his professed disinterest in same. Anybody think he's really a viable contender for Veep or even President, either within his current party or (long shot) as an Independent?

Personally, I can't see him getting past the handicap of being from Back East/YankeeLand, regardless of his other strengths and/or weaknesses. Too abrasive for the Midwest. Too close to Wall Street for the West (his wife is an Investment Banker). Too North for the South
I yam what I yam....except when I'm a sweet potato

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Re: Chris Christie

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:44 am

He's toast.

After his fellating of Barry on the eve of an election I doubt he will even be appointment-worthy to a Pube.

He ought to switch parties, the stupid fat fuck.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:51 am

He had his Dixie Chick moment and it's all over but it's for the best. However he good he might look in print he not a national choice.
Free Leonard!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Chris Christie

Post by Godjira » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:02 am

We can see, he's not enough of a partisan hack for the GOP's core. But since they'll vote GOP even if they ran George McGovern's body, don't worry about the core.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

cuchulainn
Instigator

Chris Christie

Post by cuchulainn » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:02 am

If you think the USS GOP needs to tack to the right, get ready for Democratic domination.
Lost Republican Hack learned absolutely nothing.

PTravel
Stew Ingredient

Post by PTravel » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:05 am

What if he ran as a moderate independent on a third party ticket?

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:08 am

Godjira wrote:We can see, he's not enough of a partisan hack for the GOP's core. But since they'll vote GOP even if they ran George McGovern's body, don't worry about the core.

Oh no. Hell has no fury as a party scorned. I'd vote for Obama before I voted for Christie. Christie is over nationally. New Jersey can enjoy him. He's a bad choice even if he didn't hug O. Better to get him out of the way and look a other choices.
Free Leonard!

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:17 am

He's going to need to do something with that diaper.

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:26 am

Gov. Chris Christie has just a little too much Jersey attitude

"However, these times (read article link below) have been the exception rather than the rule. On too many occasions, he has shown an inability to modulate his rhetoric, control his temper and refrain from insulting and name-calling, i.e. labeling those he disagreed with as “stupid” or “an idiot” or “entitled moneygrubbers who considered themselves above the law.”

In “The Way to Win: Taking the White House in 2008,” Mark Halpern and John F. Harris wrote the following about Bill Clinton: “It was only once Clinton arrived in office that he and his advisers realized, after many stumbles, that people do not actually want a president who is that much like them. Even an egalitarian culture prefers to assign a special status to a president. And from this a Trade Secret flows. Do not ever squander the dignity of the presidency.” Halpern and Harris added that “If a candidate engages in acts unbecoming the office being sought, it can have a palpable impact on voters’ perception of that person’s fitness for the job. ... In Clinton’s case, self-restraint did not come naturally to his ebullient, in-the-moment personality.”

Bill Clinton was the ultimate “Comeback Kid” who could bounce back from all sorts of gaffes. There is only one Bill Clinton, who can diffuse Don Imus’ use of “Bubba” by retorting, “It’s an honorable term where I come from. It’s just Southern for mensch.” Gov. Christie is no Bill Clinton.

Gov. Christie has lost his cool on too many occasions, and instead of doing a mea culpa like Bill Clinton, he has frequently compounded his initial misstep, as when he labeled Bill Brown, a law student, “an idiot” for repeatedly interrupting him when he tried to answer his question regarding his plan to merge Rutgers and Rowan. Instead of admitting his mistake, Gov. Christie “doubled down” and called Brown, a former Navy SEAL, a “jerk.” The governor told the crowd that he tried to be patient, but finally thought, “Damn, man, I’m the governor. Could you shut up for a second?” With his impatient outburst, he forgot that a governor needs to set high standards with regard to appropriate language and behavior and show respect for the office he holds.

Gov. Christie acknowledges his unique style when he recites the “rules” at his town-meeting events. “If they want to take the governor out for a walk,” he’ll give it back to them “because we’re all from New Jersey.” There is a way for the governor to give it back without resorting to name-calling and immature remarks.

The governor’s bluntness has served him well for much of his term, but it is beginning to wear a little thin, and if the state economy does not dramatically turn around, he could face a serious Democratic challenge in 2013. At this juncture, the highly ballyhooed “Jersey Comeback” has not materialized.

New Jersey’s jobless rate is the fifth-highest in the country and it is one of only six states whose economy didn’t grow last year (47th in the country). Further, our bond rating has fallen to 48th in the nation, and the S&P has issued a warning based on our budget situation, which it describes as “structurally unbalanced,” because 2012 revenue collections continue to fall dramatically short of the administration’s own projections.

By the time 2013 rolls around, the Christie “Jersey Comeback” could eclipse the Dukakis “Massachusetts Comeback” as the most substance-less economic hype in modern history.

http://www.nj.com/times-opinion/index.s ... e_has.html
Last edited by Dagny on Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free Leonard!

crzypt
Incorrigible Testiclast

Post by crzypt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:27 am

PTravel wrote:What if he ran as a moderate independent on a third party ticket?

That's the real wild-card possibility, as I see it. I don't think he has a snowball's chance in Hell of getting the GOP nomination now. Zero tolerance for Heresy among the wingnuts

Lieberman pulled off the Independent move, but that was only within a single state where he was already a well-known quantity. Doing something like that on a national scale is another matter entirely. IIRC the last time it was even attempted by a serious contender was Theodore Roosevelt's run as a Progressive, 100 years ago - and he lost big-time to Woodrow Wilson

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:29 am

Do you like him, crzypt? I never saw him as a national candidate.
Free Leonard!

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:41 am

STYLE COMMENT link article above

"Christie is beginning to show to show a real Achilles Heel - meaning something that is a strength is also a big weakness.

His bullying braggadocio is staring to appear instead like an inability to handle complicated situations or to deal with stress.

For higher office, I think he has already shot himself in the foot. I really started thinking this when he started screaming that he didn't give a damn about elections and had bigger fish to fry. How about a more tempered answer, like The health and safety of our citizens is my top concern right now but elections are important and I will refer you to those authorities who are working on it. Or something like that.

A President has to be able to keep a lot of balls in the air, to fry a really big fish while still being aware of what is going on on all the other burners.

A President also has to be able to keep his cool, use his head, treat everyone with respect and not be rash. Christie is increasingly proving he cannot do any of that.

He might be suited to Congress, where you want a bulldog fighting for you, but not for an office where these other abilities are really so important.

When I see him go off on a bully tirade to a reporter who is just asking a logical question, I am pretty convinced that he is someone I do NOT want to have access to the Red Nuclear button, that is for sure!

He is just not proving to be level headed enough to handle an office like the Presidency."
Free Leonard!

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:45 am

STORM RESPONSE article link above

A story about Christie's attitude? Really? With millions still waiting for power? Why can't anyone at the Ledger find the guts to ask the Governor why gasoline and generators were not staged and ready to go BEFORE the storm? Christie spent five days telling us all a massive storm surge and power outages of 7-10 days should be expected. Did he assume gas stations, refineries and distribution centers would magically escape damage? Anyone could have the seen the gas crisis coming. But Christie waited until days after the storm to even acknowledge the gas crisis before finally asking for generators to be flowin in from California. Why? And why is the gutless NJ press corps afraid to ask him? No body...NOBODY, cares about his attitude. He talks alot, but it's impossible to find a single tangible thing he's actually DONE since the storm. Wake up guys...and press the Governor for some answers.

13 Hours
Free Leonard!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Chris Christie

Post by Godjira » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:56 am

Because the party is more important than the candidate, country or citizenry

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:58 am

Godjira wrote:Because the party is more important than the candidate, country or citizenry

What do you like about him besides the hug? What makes hima good candidate in your opinon?
Free Leonard!

crzypt
Incorrigible Testiclast

Post by crzypt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:03 am

Dagny wrote:Do you like him, crzypt? I never saw him as a national candidate.

Personally? Nah. He's too much of a blowhard and a bully, even for this New Jersey native

That article you C&P'd above highlights another of his major weaknesses, even here in Jersey: naked Authoritarian tendencies, including the expectation of automatic deference to Power. He doesn't like being openly challenged, and almost invariably reacts badly. Despite this being a remarkably wealthy State overall (we've been trading back and forth with Connecticut for the #1 spot for decades now), the prevailing ethos is the kind of "tough, but fair" attitude that has deep blue-collar roots. We accept that things can get rough sometimes, especially in politics, but there is a Line and Christie has a habit of stepping over it. Part of being a politician is having to listen to irate constituents. It is absolutely inescapable, and even GW Bush couldn't dodge that completely despite extremely tight control by an army of handlers. Where a more skilled politician could potentially turn a situation like that to his advantage, Christie ends up making himself look worse

As far as his profile as a national candidate, there's way too many skeletons in his closet that, up to this point, only residents of the State really know about. Questionable ties to sleazy powerbrokers like George Norcross, kissing ass at more than one Koch Brothers kaffeklatch, giving Republicans a free pass during his days as a "crusading" US Attorney who made his bones nailing corrupt politicians, and on and on. It's a pretty long list that probably doesn't hurt him much on a local level, but definitely would on a national scale

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Chris Christie

Post by Godjira » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:39 am

I don't like him, and maybe he won't even win NJ, but his fiscal beliefs and strength harken back to the real modern GOP instead of the religious and ideological fringe, which could appeal to mainstream voters. It'd also be more productive and improve over all govt by having such a candidate.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:58 pm

A story about Christie's attitude? Really? With millions still waiting for power? Why can't anyone at the Ledger find the guts to ask the Governor why gasoline and generators were not staged and ready to go BEFORE the storm? Christie spent five days telling us all a massive storm surge and power outages of 7-10 days should be expected. Did he assume gas stations, refineries and distribution centers would magically escape damage? Anyone could have the seen the gas crisis coming

The same question can be asks of gas station owners. It's not as if power outages are new to New Jersey after a big storm. Funny who a Conserivative power is looking for a government solution.

The last GOP governor, Whitmann, was considers a quickly rising star, but her closer than expected victory in her 2nd term and her moderate views muted her rise. NJ governors have not had any real political success on the national stage and it will be no different for moderate Christie.
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:22 pm

crzypt wrote:despite his professed disinterest

You are a guy aren't you? If you're a woman you have probably had quite a number of unintended pregnancies. (Sure, I went over to his place; he said he just wanted to talk ... )

crzypt
Incorrigible Testiclast

Post by crzypt » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Electrolyte wrote:
crzypt wrote:despite his professed disinterest

You are a guy aren't you? If you're a woman you have probably had quite a number of unintended pregnancies. (Sure, I went over to his place; he said he just wanted to talk ... )

Yeah, I hear ya' :D

It's a good point. I certainly wasn't the only one to notice that his endorsement speech for Romney was 15 minutes worth of Chris and 15 seconds worth of Mitt