Countries Conservatives Can Move

Sponsored by Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow

Moderator: Moderator

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Re: Countries Conservatives Can Move

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:49 pm

We were all so worldly and sophisticated when we were teens.

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:52 pm

It's worse than that Citizen Baba. We thought our hair looked good.
Free Leonard!

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:02 pm

rider5 wrote:
simon_in_exile wrote:I knew most of that (thought Alberquerque was bigger though), but wouldn't have thought the forests would eat up so much money? Nor Los Alamos, come to mention it - that's run on federal grants?

A single municipality in the Phoenix metro area probably has more people than the entire State of NM, and the Federal holdings and reservations are about the same between the two states, so that radically changes the per capita numbers.

I doubt if the NF and BLM eat up much Federal money, but they are also not contributing anything to state treasuries via taxes.

Eye-opening about Phoenix vs NM populations.

I found this on the reason for the spending:
"New Mexico received the third-highest procurement spending per capita in the U.S. at $3,641.68. A significant component of this spending was under the category of non-defense agency spending for the Department of Energy. New Mexico received more federal funding from the Department of Energy than any other state, with an amount of $4.8 billion. This is due to the three nuclear weapons facilities located within the state. New Mexico also ranks seventh for the grant expenditures it received per capita. More than 60% of these grants were from the Department of Health and Human Services. Some 22.53% of the population was on Medicaid — the fourth highest percentage in the nation — which is funded through this department."
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:05 pm

simon_in_exile wrote: More than 60% of these grants were from the Department of Health and Human Services. Some 22.53% of the population was on Medicaid — the fourth highest percentage in the nation — which is funded through this department."

It's a very popular retirement location for Northeasterns. Sorry, you've got all our old folks.

Top Places for retiree according to Forbes:

New Mexico, Lousinana, N. Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Indiana, Idaho, Florida, Missouri, South Carolina
Free Leonard!

RandomThoughts
Stew Ingredient

Countries Conservatives Can Move

Post by RandomThoughts » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Two observations...

1. The teenage girl thing... Just highlights something that dawned on me in recent days.. Which was the idea that (unsurprisingly) liberals only decry bullying when it's the wrong kind of people doing it...meaning anyone but them. Although Australians do their own thing and obviously they weren't kind or sensitive, I'm not surprised at those here who support and heartily approve of the humiliation of someone who isn't on the official "do not bully list". (the only criteria that she has going for her is she's female - but unfortunately that advantage was erased by her being white and Christian...bully on!)

2. I love how liberal leaning types think they should be in charge of picking where the disgruntled conservatives should move to... And then name the worst places on earth har-de-har-har... I'd argue Why bother moving when we can just wait to enjoy the Liberian or Haitian type of lifestyle right here in just a few years from the comfort of our own cardboard boxes? The idea that mentioning these places as an option is meant to pass as intelligent repartee only reinforces my impression that -as studies have shown- people without a clue are completely oblivious to the fact that they have no clue.

Basically - there doesn't seem to be much nuance in liberal thought ...it's either their utopian idea of the USA ...or... Haiti... Either Or. Pick now. Don't even try your tomfoolery and heretical and out of lockstep ideas that there's 39 favors... The very idea! Chocolate or Vanilla PERIOD.
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm not surprised at those here who support and heartily approve of the humiliation of someone who isn't on the official "do not bully list"

If you are talking are talking about me don't be so passive aggressive and address me directly
I posted the link to tweak Annotated
Misinformation seems to be the hallmark of the modern GOP and I thought it fit
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:46 pm

2. I love how liberal leaning types think they should be in charge of picking where the disgruntled conservatives should move to... And then name the worst places on earth har-de-har-har... I'd argue Why bother moving when we can just wait to enjoy the Liberian or Haitian type of lifestyle right here in just a few years from the comfort of our own cardboard boxes? The idea that mentioning these places as an option is meant to pass as intelligent repartee only reinforces my impression that -as studies have shown- people without a clue are completely oblivious to the fact that they have no clue.

That teenage girl has a lot of company among the butt-hurt conservatives who are saying they are going to move to...Australia, Canada, etc (out in the wild, not here on the board, so much). If anyone is completely oblivious, it's these people. They want to move to places that have socialized heatlh care & other social programs, along with the taxes that go with it. Certainly, it's low-hanging fruit, but they set themselves up for it.

When that tweet started going around, did anyone know it was a teenage girl who wrote it? Nobody likes being laughed at or embarrassed, but I don't think people were personally bullying her.
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:05 pm

RandomThoughts wrote:Two observations...

1. The teenage girl thing... Just highlights something that dawned on me in recent days.. Which was the idea that (unsurprisingly) liberals only decry bullying when it's the wrong kind of people doing it...meaning anyone but them. Although Australians do their own thing and obviously they weren't kind or sensitive, I'm not surprised at those here who support and heartily approve of the humiliation of someone who isn't on the official "do not bully list". (the only criteria that she has going for her is she's female - but unfortunately that advantage was erased by her being white and Christian...bully on!)

Basically - there doesn't seem to be much nuance in liberal thought ...it's either their utopian idea of the USA ...or... Haiti... Either Or. Pick now. Don't even try your tomfoolery and heretical and out of lockstep ideas that there's 39 favors... The very idea! Chocolate or Vanilla PERIOD.

RT - relax. The thread (relocation)is satire on themes from 2000 and 2004 when lefties said they'd move and righties offered them potential locations other than Canada. The fact that there are so many righties saying they are leaving the country this time (not just that teen- just read the news), is just fuel for satire, and commentary.

And I would be careful about labeling any group nuanced v. not nuanced. Otherwise, we may force you to read Annotated's posts.

edited to add:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/07/politics/ ... index.html
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... scenarios/

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:11 pm

incognita wrote:but I don't think people were personally bullying her.

Out of the 1400 or so responses she received you don't think any personally attacked her? Lots of friendly comments on Huff Po. Maybe she'll be driven to depression and there will be one less ignorant person.
Free Leonard!

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:14 pm

By the way, the "kid" who tweeted the silly Aussie commented isn't a kid. She's 18 and of voting age, so she is old enough to deal with her own political views. I see no sense in bullying, but 18 is old enough to take responsibility for a political tweet.

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Unfortunately, with the internet, some things go viral around the world. It's unfortunate that she got dumped on, but maybe you should take it up with the Ozzies. But nobody is following her home and threatening to beat her up, or trying to destroy her life (AFAIK), IMO just being called out for being an idiot =/= bullying.

This was just god-awful stupid. But it's what teens do sometimes. Actually, I'd love to know where she got that impression.

As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:35 pm

birdlite wrote:By the way, the "kid" who tweeted the silly Aussie commented isn't a kid. She's 18 and of voting age, so she is old enough to deal with her own political views. I see no sense in bullying, but 18 is old enough to take responsibility for a political tweet.

I'm perfectly willing to admit I was an idiot at 18. A lot of folks don't have the opportunity to get out of their cloistered bubble at that age, and don't come from the international jet set that many stewers do. (My parents have been out of the country once, to Canada.)

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Don't mind Foolsprogress....just unleashing his dislike for Australians....
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:02 pm

I'd be surprised if the tweets were much different than the Huff Po ones which are censored:

typical "Dumb" teen......

I just hope to every god that anyone believes in that she NEVER reproduces.

Go away Kristen, maybe not to Aulstralia, but by all means do go away

Australia doesn't need people like Kristen anymore than we do.

Hopefully a dingo eats her.

Australia's got their own quota of dummies. They don't need ours too

These kids are so brain dead. They know how to get on facebook yet they don't know what Wikapedia is. And they all need to know or they wind up in the news with everyone laughing at them.

Girl, no country wants an undesirable alien. Imagine, your own people have declared you as persona non grata.

There is this baffling assumption by unskilled, blathering, pustulent, ignorant bigots that Australia would be glad to have them.

Another ignorant kid.. Possibly an inbred that learned hate from her parents no doubt. Good riddance! We don't want you here anyhow!

She from Georgia, What was y'all xpectin'? Absolutely. I used to live there and the stupid can not be cured.

If I were as ignorant as she is, I'd wear a mask too! She is wearing a mask, isn't she?

I'll back her bags ..... all the way back to the12th century, where she'll have her choice of occupations: Wench, Wet-Nurse, or life as a cloistered Nun. Sound appealing, Little Darlin' ?

Bah-bye, Kristen... enjoy the deadly snakes, the deadly spiders, the tropical diseases, the deadly octopods and the sharks.

AND A FEW SUPPORTIVE:
Am I the only one concerned by an invasion of her privacy? So she tweeted....to her friends...and now the whole world knows her name. Including college admissions offices. She might even be a minor, but she's become a poster child for America's poor education system without her consent. And, to her defense, current news (okay, not that current anymore, but still news) about Australia has tended to focus on the Christian right-wing, anti-immigration movement. I can't think of the name, but I think one of the candidates in the last election ran on exactly that platform. If Kristen had been in middle-school at the time, it would have been an easy mistake. Do more footwork, HuffPost!!! Don't turn into another NPR. (Btw, I personally asked a class of 40 Japanese 7th graders which was bigger, the earth or the moon, and only half got it right.)

To the comments here, wow. Just wow. That's all I can say right now. First and foremost, I would like everyone to take a step back and realize that we are talking about a tweet. TWITTER. A website which has been mocked for being used to post pointless things. It's a silly website, and it was a simple tweet. With that in mind, I would like to jump ahead to the next, and honestly, more important point I'd like to make. Justifying hate. Respected news sites posting this? Posting her photo? It's down right sick. You can sit here and try to justify hate, but I want you to ask yourselves who you are, what your morals are. This. Is. Wrong. She posted an incorrect tweet that she thought was only going to be seen by her friends. She got her facts wrong, big deal. It happens. She's not running for office or posting this in the paper, it was a tweet to friends. That was all. Plain and simple. Somehow, things got carried away. Now, as you try to justify hate posts towards her, ask yourself, isn't 13 pages of her on google, 1500 retweets with really hurtful messages, 1200 comments to the huffington post enough? Would you want your daughter to go through this because she posted something incorrect on a site used to post stupid life updates?
Remember, it's thousands against one here

Who is this girl and why is this news. Alot of people have tweeted and Facebooked their disapproval of this election. . I remember when Howard Stern outed the ignorance of Obama supporters in Harlem in 2008 and 2012 and rarely seen in these media outlets. Look it up, google it, youtube it. It's there. This is blatant bad reporting on a poor young girl's ignorance where she obviosly learned rather quickly the facts from fellow tweeters. Whether Georgia or New York, our failing education system is flawed.
Free Leonard!

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:17 pm

Dagny- you live in a different planet that I inhabit if you think that there is not the same sort of vilification from the other side
First and foremost, I would like everyone to take a step back and realize that we are talking about a tweet.

Yeah
A tweet was the basis of the right wings conspiracy theories about Benghazi
lots of misinformation gets passed on

It is not news to me that anything you post on FB,twitter is now in the common domain
Poster,beware
People have sacrificed their right to privacy with nary a peep
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:23 pm

judik wrote:Dagny- you live in a different planet that I inhabit if you think that there is not the same sort of vilification from the other side
Yes and very simpily it's wrong. You do not hold the moral advantage anymore of the left. It is a free for all.

It is not news to me that anything you post on FB,twitter is now in the common domain
Poster,beware
People have sacrificed their right to privacy with nary a peep
Yup. That is why we are unplugged in my house. No faebook or twitter.
Free Leonard!

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Call me cynical but I am not sure that there is a Georgia teenager named Kristin Neel
What I will bank on is that there is someone out there trying to find the backstory

Winston Churchill

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Maybe it's an advert for Australian tourism. I've received about 4 travel brochures lately.
Free Leonard!

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Yes and very simpily it's wrong. You do not hold the moral advantage anymore of the left. It is a free for all.

When did anyone ever have the 'moral advantage' when it come to the internet? Except maybe on an individual basis, for those who don't participate in pile-ons.

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:56 pm

I think that Democrats used to have a moral advantage, out there fighting for civil liberties etc.. The internet is just the tool we use to communicate now but does not change the content of the communication.
Free Leonard!

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:06 pm

What does anything related to what this girl tweeted have to do with civil rights (or the 'high moral ground' for that matter)? Suppose she just said it at school and everybody there started laughing at her (and that kind of thing does happen)? Would the dems lose the high moral ground because of that? For that matter, what's Democrat about the response to her tweet? It's mostly Australians, who aren't otherwise involved in US politics.

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:29 pm

The left used to have the moral high ground IMO. i.e.They were the ones fighting for civil liberties etc.

If she said it in school, it would be children not supposed adults after her. It would not have perhaps impacted her whole life (see Judik's social media outlet) such as college admisions etc. Sites like the Huffington Post, if I may be so bold to call an Amercian left leaning site, now have 1200 comments ridiculing this girl. Also the left leaning, "enlighted" Australians haver piled on her. But perhaps Judik is right and she does not exist.
Free Leonard!

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Dagny wrote:The left used to have the moral high ground IMO. i.e.They were the ones fighting for civil liberties etc.

If she said it in school, it would be children not supposed adults after her. It would not have perhaps impacted her whole life (see Judik's social media outlet) such as college admisions etc. Sites like the Huffington Post, if I may be so bold to call an Amercian left leaning site, now have 1200 comments ridiculing this girl. Also the left leaning, "enlighted" Australians haver piled on her. But perhaps Judik is right and she does not exist.

Do you have evidence that it's impacted her college admissions, or that her life has otherwise been affected? How do you know that all of the authors of those 1200 comments are, in fact, left-leaning? And again, what do Australians have to do with US Democrats? Who's claiming they're enlightened?

Sorry, don't mean to sound harsh, but you're making a lot of assumptions about the people responding to the original tweet.

The left is still fighting for civil liberties. But that's completely irrelevant to twittergate.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:I'm perfectly willing to admit I was an idiot at 18. A lot of folks don't have the opportunity to get out of their cloistered bubble at that age, and don't come from the international jet set that many stewers do. (My parents have been out of the country once, to Canada.)

I was an idiot too at 18, but, again, she is old enough to vote.

Maybe she learned an important lesson with some of her other 18-year-old friends. Tweeting isn't private.
And maybe she shouldn't be so trusting of everyone who follows her on Twitter because someone shared it, and then someone else.

As for the rude HuffPost comments, I could answer a topic on veggies Weekly about gardening with hand-made tools and some idiot would comment rudely about politics. Another Life Lesson.

jono_in_adelaide
stewpid colonial

Post by jono_in_adelaide » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:50 pm

foolsprogress wrote:It's really funny how the Aussies and liberals hounded and beat up on a teenage aged girl for saying something stupid on twitter. Good on ya, I say. And a real knee slapper. I see that they've managed to hound and humiliate her to the point that she deleted her account. That must have been truly satisfying for those who were able to get in a whack before she had to hide in shame. Savor it, Aussies. You sure showed her.

Fools, although we got on well when we met, and I look forward to meeting you again, it hasnt escaped my attention that you have a bit of a thing" about Australians in general. Why is that, the sort of Autralians one meets in Cambodia, or somthing deeper?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

janieblack
Nutty Upside Down Cake

Post by janieblack » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:47 am

I am honestly astounded by these two pages...
You might as well be 'retweeting' this yourselves. You do realise you are playing your own role in keeping this ridiculous thing alive, right?
Having sex in an elevator is wrong on so many levels

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:56 am

RandomThoughts wrote:2. I love how liberal leaning types think they should be in charge of picking where the disgruntled conservatives should move to... And then name the worst places on earth har-de-har-har... I'd argue Why bother moving when we can just wait to enjoy the Liberian or Haitian type of lifestyle right here in just a few years from the comfort of our own cardboard boxes? The idea that mentioning these places as an option is meant to pass as intelligent repartee only reinforces my impression that -as studies have shown- people without a clue are completely oblivious to the fact that they have no clue.

Four thoughts

1) Countries Conservatives CAN Move =/= should

2) I named Mexico, har-de-har-hardly a worst place on Earth

3) I've lived in Mexico for most of the last six and a half years

4) Nuance in liberal thought? Yeah, I get it. Nor much nuance in reading comprehension. It's a good natured thread responding to conservatives AND liberals who swore if their candidate lost they'd leave the country. As I'm someone who more or less did so when Bush was given four more years, I think I'm justified in inviting the crybabies to come way on down to Mexico, where I can be free. Hey Joe!
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Ernest Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:59 am

I thought it was supposed to be lighthearted too
Instead I was pilloried for supporting bullies :(

Winston Churchill

jono_in_adelaide
stewpid colonial

Post by jono_in_adelaide » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:10 am

I think I need a Xanax
Si vis pacem, para bellum

RandomThoughts
Stew Ingredient

Post by RandomThoughts » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:54 am

2wilzgood wrote:
Four thoughts

1) Countries Conservatives CAN Move =/= should

2) I named Mexico, har-de-har-hardly a worst place on Earth

3) I've lived in Mexico for most of the last six and a half years

4) Nuance in liberal thought? Yeah, I get it. Nor much nuance in reading comprehension. It's a good natured thread responding to conservatives AND liberals who swore if their candidate lost they'd leave the country. As I'm someone who more or less did so when Bush was given four more years, I think I'm justified in inviting the crybabies to come way on down to Mexico, where I can be free. Hey Joe!

1. Semantics
2. I like Mexico -but you have to admit there is a bit of something unsettled going on there these days...
3. Congrats... lucky you. I wouldn't mind living in Mexico at all.
4. I guess I missed the AND LIBERALS part... in the original post... which set the tone and initial direction of the OP (of course there's no telling how it will spin out of control once unleashed).

Further clarification...

My observations were meant to be in a very general sense. I in no way intended to single any particular poster out ...and if I did mean to do so, I would have no problem being direct about naming names... Just to be clear -your post had nothing to do with what I wrote...

However, if the shoe fits? (for those who seem to feel I was poking at them specifically?)
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:59 am

judik wrote:I thought it was supposed to be lighthearted too

Awwww. I didn't comment on you particularly but let's have one of those big ole bipartisian hug that are so popular these days a la Obama and Christie. Except I'm not Christie either you can be Christie or we can both be Obama. I'll even throw on a ribbon dress.
Free Leonard!

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:10 am

Dagny wrote:
judik wrote:I thought it was supposed to be lighthearted too

Awwww. I didn't comment on you particularly but let's have one of those big ole bipartisian hug that are so popular these days a la Obama and Christie. Except I'm not Christie either you can be Christie or we can both be Obama. I'll even throw on a ribbon dress.

I would, but the fake boobs in your avatar get in the way.

Dagny
Stew Ingredient

Post by Dagny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:14 am

Citizen Baba wrote:. I would, but the fake boobs in your avatar get in the way.

Have no fear Baba. They are exceptional in real life. A girl has to know which assests to work.
Free Leonard!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:02 am

Dagny wrote:
Citizen Baba wrote:. I would, but the fake boobs in your avatar get in the way.

Have no fear Baba. They are exceptional in real life. A girl has to know which assests to work.

Preach to the choir.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:14 am

Maybe, but the ones in the photo are fake.