Obama Wins by Being a Nasty Asshole

Sponsored by Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow

Moderator: Moderator

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:52 pm

So there have been some interesting numbers coming out about who voted and how many voted. It seems that many fewer voted this year than in 2008. In fact, Obama is the first President in history to be elected with fewer votes the second time around.

It turns out that Obama got FEWER votes this time around from these groups:

Whites - 7.8 million fewer
Women - 4 million fewer
Young People - 1.8 million fewer
Blacks - 1.6 million fewer

He did get 700,000 more votes from Hispanics (but that was hardly enough to turn this election).

So with all these fewer people voting for him, how did he win? By demonizing Romney, of course, by going small and negative and nasty from the very beginning and hammering it home over and over and over.

Mr. Obama was ruthlessly efficient in executing what his campaign manager, Jim Messina, told the New Yorker's Ryan Lizza was "a grand bet"—an early negative campaign that started in May and targeted Mr. Romney's character, business ethics and wealth. A massive volunteer army armed with these same arguments then worked in the fall to convince family, neighbors and friends to support Mr. Obama.

If this grand bet had failed to raise serious doubts about Mr. Romney among ordinary voters—or if the attacks on the GOP challenger's character and business background had been effectively rebutted—the Obama campaign would have been without money or time enough to pursue a different strategy.

But it succeeded. By Election Day, 53% of voters in the exit polls said Mr. Romney's policies would "generally favor the rich." They backed Mr. Obama with 87% to Mr. Romney's 10%. Even among the 59% of voters for whom the economy was the No. 1 issue, Mr. Romney prevailed only 51% to 47%. And the 21% of voters who thought "care about people like me" was the most important candidate quality split 81% for Mr. Obama, 18% for Mr. Romney.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 57318.html

Obama won by demonizing a man who could have TRULY gotten the U.S. back to economic prosperity, and he would have reached across the aisle to do so.

So there is the greatness of your Dear Leader. In truth, he's a small, nasty man with an overinflated ego, and he just convinced a load of dupes to take the country down a course of stagnation and possibly worse. Congratulations.
This board is my life.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Re: Obama Wins by Being a Nasty Asshole

Post by Annotated » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Let me just add that I love how people try to jump on me here for being negative about Liberals. What they don't know is that I am simply using the Dear Leader as a role model. After all, he's a "winner" according to the chump faction here.
This board is my life.

salmonid
Hamburglar

Post by salmonid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Your numbers are way off.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Annotated wrote:Obama won by demonizing a man who could have TRULY gotten the U.S. back to economic prosperity, and he would have reached across the aisle to do so.

too funny
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:04 pm

salmonid wrote:Your numbers are way off.

Got them from the WSJ. Do you have something different? Or is this just a way to avoid the facts?
This board is my life.

salmonid
Hamburglar

Post by salmonid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:07 pm

In sum, Obama had about 6 million less votes than he did in 2008. Romney will have about 300,000 less than McCain. Lower turnout in this election due to less excitement on the Democratic side and a hurricane on the east coast a few days before the election.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:08 pm

He won, you lost. Get over it.

Romney was a sh8t candidate, but the best you had. And you still lost. You threw everythnig you had that you thought could stick at him. And you still lost.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:08 pm

salmonid wrote:In sum, Obama had about 6 million less votes than he did in 2008. Romney will have about 300,000 less than McCain. Lower turnout in this election due to less excitement on the Democratic side and a hurricane on the east coast a few days before the election.

So how are my numbers off?
This board is my life.

joeyramone
Stew Ingredient

Post by joeyramone » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Bush was reelcted with the smnallest margin ever by an incumbent. Were you complaining then? and that guy said he had "political capital, and would use it". hahahahha.
"Your fairy tale would sound better if two elves came out and did the Safety Dance at the end." Logg to Zaffer

salmonid
Hamburglar

Post by salmonid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:12 pm

You've claimed:

Women - 4 million fewer

He did get 700,000 more votes from Hispanics (but that was hardly enough to turn this election).

Let's add whites + blacks - Hispanics. That results in a decrease of 8.7 million. Unless Asians increased their turnout for Obama by close to 3 million, you are wrong.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:14 pm

coffeeguy wrote:He won, you lost. Get over it.

Yes, small and nasty works -- when you're talking to dupes. I admit, Obama most definitely went small and nasty (what else could he do really?). And he most definitely duped the dupes. I won't argue with you there. He won the election ... just not "fair and square" -- rather, "small and nasty." But he won all right. The small, nasty man ran a small, nasty campaign, and he convinced those who respond to small and nasty to vote for him. Once again, congratulations.
This board is my life.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:15 pm

salmonid wrote:You've claimed:

Women - 4 million fewer

Let's add whites + blacks - Hispanics. That results in a decrease of 8.7 million. Unless Asians increased their turnout for Obama by close to 3 million, you are wrong.

As I said, I got my numbers from the WSJ. Where are your numbers from?

In any case, the principle is the same.
This board is my life.

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Guys-lighten up
Better to let Annotated let out his anger,disappointment,rage and impotency on here rather than have him go home and kick the puppy :cry:
Last edited by judik on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

salmonid
Hamburglar

Post by salmonid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Google election results. I know math has been difficult for Republicans lately, but that took all of two minutes. You and the WSJ should be deeply ashamed.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:20 pm

salmonid wrote:Google election results.

In other words you have no fucking idea. Figures.
This board is my life.

salmonid
Hamburglar

Post by salmonid » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:28 pm

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:29 pm

If it was the WSJ opinion page,then that is as biased as it gets for the GOP
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:41 pm

salmonid wrote:2008 election results

2012 election results from your favorite news source

After that, some second grade math.

Fine. I'm willing take different numbers. But it doesn't change the overall picture.
This board is my life.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Annotated wrote:S? By demonizing Romney, of course, by going small and negative and nasty from the very beginning and hammering it home over and over and over.

Blame the other Republican primary candidates who wrote the script for obama's campaign--even providing video.

By the day Romney became the presumed candidate (long before the convention), his fellow Republicans had already painted the rich boy, Bain vulture profile: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -work.html

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Annotated wrote:
salmonid wrote:2008 election results

2012 election results from your favorite news source

After that, some second grade math.

Fine. I'm willing take different numbers. But it doesn't change the overall picture.

Yeah that you cheerleaded a loser for the last 6 months and are bitter that your distorted view of the world didnt come to pass.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:04 pm

For Gingrich’s supporters, the acquisition of the anti-Romney film was a chance to strike back at the man they—and Gingrich himself—hold responsible for Gingrich’s precipitous slide in the polls in the days and weeks before the Iowa caucus. Gingrich has not been circumspect in expressing his disdain for those responsible for the barrage of negative advertising directed toward him in Iowa—by one estimate, nearly half of all attack ads were aimed at Gingrich—or about the fact that he blames Romney.

oooh - so Romney beat Gingrich by being a nasty asshole.

imagine that

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Obama stole the election by getting the most votes!!
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

flojin
Stew Ingredient

Post by flojin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 am

Annotated wrote:Obama is the first President in history to be elected with fewer votes the second time around.

"You keep saying that, but he won, Karl. He won."

Maxwell wrote:Tell me why I should care about ethics when the democrats don't.

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:55 am

flojin wrote:
Annotated wrote:Obama is the first President in history to be elected with fewer votes the second time around

actually this means Romney is an even bigger loser than grandpa McCain

The more the GOP not looking inward to find the true reason behind their defeat, the better for the democrats in 2016

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:03 am

tph24601 wrote:
flojin wrote:
Annotated wrote:Obama is the first President in history to be elected with fewer votes the second time around

actually this means Romney is an even bigger loser than grandpa McCain

You truly are a certifiable idiot, aren't you?
This board is my life.

q5q
Stew Ingredient

Post by q5q » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:11 am

Annotated wrote:You truly are a certifiable idiot, aren't you?

your spot on the circular firing squad is ready. good luck.
bodhisattva of sweetness, lite, and moist since 2001; dave_of_daves, whisperer_of_catsups

Vince wrote:
I'm never angry except with q5q who is a despicable abortion.

d&c
arbour zena: keith jarrett, charlie haden, jan gabarek, stuttgart rad orc

kirrabi
Stew Ingredient

Post by kirrabi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:29 am

birdlite wrote:
For Gingrich’s supporters, the acquisition of the anti-Romney film was a chance to strike back at the man they—and Gingrich himself—hold responsible for Gingrich’s precipitous slide in the polls in the days and weeks before the Iowa caucus. Gingrich has not been circumspect in expressing his disdain for those responsible for the barrage of negative advertising directed toward him in Iowa—by one estimate, nearly half of all attack ads were aimed at Gingrich—or about the fact that he blames Romney.

oooh - so Romney beat Gingrich by being a nasty asshole.

imagine that

You honestly think that Romney was a "nasty asshole" equivalent to Obama's nasty assholiness? Obama said he was not going to apologize for his people calling Romney a felon and a murderer. He publicly called Romney a bullshitter.

I watched Dan Rather on election night he and some others had this to say:

DAN RATHER: There was a sense at the end of the campaign that... we had a dirty campaigns before, high negative, "demagoguery up" (quoting Micheal Murry) or what have you. Gosh, we've had it bad in the past. We've never had it this bad before at least in modern times.

SLATE SENIOR EDITOR DAHLIA LITHWICK: I think that my sense of it isn't so much the dirty tricks and ugliness but just the lack of truth. To me that's the shift. The profound shift was that it seemed to be costless to lie in this campaign and that's quite terrifying. It goes to this whole sort of notion that this epistemic bubble, to know that each side only hears what it wants to hear, each side defaults into a mode that they assume lying on the other side, but I think in a more profound way. I don’t know how to measure whether this was dirtier than other years, but I think I’m pretty good at telling when truth stopped mattering and it feels to me in a deep way.

REPUBLICAN STRATEGIST TODD HARRIS: The level of accountability that we have now versus to just 4 years ago, the kinds of things that we are comfortable saying because we know we are going to get away with it, we’re going in a downward spiral and it’s directly as a result of that lack of accountability (by the local press in states and cities).
His gizzard was stuffed so full of rubies he sounded like a bag of marbles when he waddled past the Mogok checkpoint and anyone who saw him would swear he had been force fed for the purpose of making a fine foie gras. – A passage from Legends of the Duck

Flobster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:04 am

OP has moved onto the "voters were stupid" line.
The world ended on 21 December 2012.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:40 am

kirrabi wrote:You honestly think that Romney was a "nasty asshole" equivalent to Obama's nasty assholiness? Obama said he was not going to apologize for his people calling Romney a felon and a murderer. He publicly called Romney a bullshitter.

We have a poster here calling Obama a nasty asshole for doing exactly what Romney did. What Gingrich did. What Santorum did.

The Rather conversation- that applies to both parties and campaigns. I realize that you are dealing with some cognitive dissonance and disappointment, but don't be so naive.

What we come down to is that the nastiness asshole comment of the entire campaign was this:
"47 percent of voters will chose Obama “no matter what” because they are people “who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax.”

What's amazing is that some of those 47% actually voted for the asshole who said that.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:52 am

The irony is that the guy who is calling Obama a nasty asshole whole shtick is being a nasty asshole.

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:02 am

And if the OP's numbers are correct ...

In spite of all that, he kicked your guy's ass!

Flobster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:18 am

Godjira wrote:The irony is that the guy who is calling Obama a nasty asshole whole shtick is being a nasty asshole.

x2

crzypt
Incorrigible Testiclast

Post by crzypt » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:28 am

Annotated wrote:
salmonid wrote:Your numbers are way off.

Got them from the WSJ. Do you have something different? Or is this just a way to avoid the facts?

Heh. Nothing like quoting statistics sourced from a Murdoch paper to try and make a point. Next time, try the New York Post - their spin is even more favorable to your line of thinking
I yam what I yam....except when I'm a sweet potato

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:59 am

Flobster wrote:
Godjira wrote:The irony is that the guy who is calling Obama a nasty asshole whole shtick is being a nasty asshole.

x2

Why looky there -- two sacklickers licking each other's sack. Ain't that cute.
This board is my life.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:52 pm

birdlite wrote:
Annotated wrote:S? By demonizing Romney, of course, by going small and negative and nasty from the very beginning and hammering it home over and over and over.

Blame the other Republican primary candidates who wrote the script for obama's campaign--even providing video.

By the day Romney became the presumed candidate (long before the convention), his fellow Republicans had already painted the rich boy, Bain vulture profile: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -work.html

Indeed - that's the problem with these Primaries. Similar with Clinton vs Obama in 2008 - I find it impressive that they managed to work together after mauling each other only 8 months earlier. I imagine it will be the same again in 3 years' time.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

flojin
Stew Ingredient

Post by flojin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Annotated wrote:
Flobster wrote:

x2

Why looky there -- two sacklickers licking each other's sack. Ain't that cute.

That's a nasty thing to say about people. Nasty is bad, right? Or only when Obama does it?
Maxwell wrote:Tell me why I should care about ethics when the democrats don't.

Flobster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm pretty sure that Anno is upfront about his sole schtick being nastiness. Perhaps he feels tht his President is offering competition to his act?

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:36 pm

That's his whole thing- being an nasty asshole and then later pretending that the whole point was to be ironic and expose liberal hypocrisy.

I guess that shows that right wingers can't be hypocrites because they don't really believe in anything- just opposing things.