How many times does it need to be said?

Sponsored by Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow

Moderator: Moderator

Post Reply
User avatar
i_have_shiny_shoes
playing outside
Posts: 6162
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:36 am

How many times does it need to be said?

Post by i_have_shiny_shoes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:24 am

You never, ever, ever underestimate Obama. He beat the Clinton machine, he beat McCain, he passed healthcare, he killed Bin Laden, and yet, some were saying he would lose this election (including some idiots saying it would be a landslide defeat). Republicans just don't seem to get it.
Last edited by i_have_shiny_shoes on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
we're discussing it, so it's not secret.

User avatar
AnnieOakley
stewed
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:54 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by AnnieOakley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:25 am

They's slow learners.
You meet the same folks on the way up as you do on the way down.

User avatar
guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup
Posts: 24998
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:44 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by guruwil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:26 am

What's really satisfying is that it will be a clear win no hanging chads.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

User avatar
judik
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 20787
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:21 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by judik » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:31 am

What they don't get is how the changing demographic of the american electorate is making the GOP close to being irrelevant
They lose badly among all demographics(blacks,hispanics,asians,others,women) with the exception of whites
The loss of safe GOP senate seats by allowing radical tea baggers to win primaries is a lesson they didn't learn from 2010
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

User avatar
AnnieOakley
stewed
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:54 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by AnnieOakley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:32 am

See above.
You meet the same folks on the way up as you do on the way down.

User avatar
incognita
red fanged She-devil
Posts: 20227
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:11 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by incognita » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:33 am

judik wrote:What they don't get is how the changing demographic of the american electorate is making the GOP close to being irrelevant
They lose badly among all demographics(blacks,hispanics,asians,others,women) with the exception of whites
The loss of safe GOP senate seats by allowing radical tea baggers to win primaries is a lesson they didn't learn from 2010


The Repubs booted those groups out of the tent, they deserved to lose that vote. Archie Bunker is old & getting older, and there are less of him.
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

8645

User avatar
2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14437
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:51 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by 2wilzgood » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:34 am

When all those votes the Virginny establishment tried to supress actually get counted.

Virginia goes Obama.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

User avatar
brettyb
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:27 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by brettyb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:40 am

incognita wrote:
judik wrote:What they don't get is how the changing demographic of the american electorate is making the GOP close to being irrelevant
They lose badly among all demographics(blacks,hispanics,asians,others,women) with the exception of whites
The loss of safe GOP senate seats by allowing radical tea baggers to win primaries is a lesson they didn't learn from 2010


The Repubs booted those groups out of the tent, they deserved to lose that vote. Archie Bunker is old & getting older, and there are less of him.


I expect juvenile celebration from the clueless 20-somethings here. I would have been there myself. But you two are mature enough to know how destructive it will be to get to the point where more people are riding in the wagon than are helping pull it.
Sacred cows make the best hamburgers

User avatar
i_have_shiny_shoes
playing outside
Posts: 6162
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:36 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by i_have_shiny_shoes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:43 am

brettyb wrote:I expect juvenile celebration from the clueless 20-somethings here. I would have been there myself. But you two are mature enough to know how destructive it will be to get to the point where more people are riding in the wagon than are helping pull it.


You're a dick.
we're discussing it, so it's not secret.

User avatar
brettyb
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:27 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by brettyb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:45 am

i_have_shiny_shoes wrote:
brettyb wrote:I expect juvenile celebration from the clueless 20-somethings here. I would have been there myself. But you two are mature enough to know how destructive it will be to get to the point where more people are riding in the wagon than are helping pull it.


You're a dick.


That was very articulate of you. But I expect you'll be an adult some day, too and you'd realize that we just voted ourselves down the path of Greece.
Sacred cows make the best hamburgers

User avatar
judik
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 20787
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:21 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by judik » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 am

brettyb does patronizing very well
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

User avatar
i_have_shiny_shoes
playing outside
Posts: 6162
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:36 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by i_have_shiny_shoes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:47 am

judik wrote:brettyb does patronizing very well



But not grace and humility.
we're discussing it, so it's not secret.

User avatar
brettyb
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:27 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by brettyb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:51 am

judik wrote:brettyb does patronizing very well


I know you think it's patronizing, but it's genuine disbelief. Successful, hard working, educated and white and voting for a party that holds all those traits in contempt.

Oh well, my job has survived 2% & lower growth for 4 years now, it can probably survive 4 more. And there is still a House controlled by some who will continue to keep the teenager with daddy's credit card in the white house in check.
Sacred cows make the best hamburgers

User avatar
VinceFoster
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11760
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by VinceFoster » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:56 am

the OP is a bit of fawning disguised as an appeal to reason.

Obama may just win in spite of losing the popular vote and you want to to tsk tsk those who anticipated a Romney victory because they should never have underestimated your hero?

pretty childish.

well, back to your circle jerk.

:D
I'm so excited you decided
to come over and beg.

User avatar
birdlite
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10438
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:00 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by birdlite » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:58 am

brettyb wrote: Successful, hard working, educated and white and voting for a party that holds all those traits in contempt.


You are delusional if you really think that. Sadly and divisively delusional.

User avatar
judik
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 20787
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:21 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by judik » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:01 am

Obama may just win in spite of losing the popular vote and you want to to tsk tsk those who anticipated a Romney victory because they should never have underestimated your hero?

No -it was the blatant disregard of polls
Not an inconsistent position for the GOP with their distrust of facts and science
well, back to your circle jerk.

There's room for more
We are a big tent!
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

User avatar
brettyb
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:27 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by brettyb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:05 am

Well, enjoy your victory dance judi. The next time you're passing through the reddest of red states, I can show you where urban elitist liberals hang out.

Meanwhile, I have a 4:20 alarm facing me, and a trip to the gym, so it's off to sleep.
Sacred cows make the best hamburgers

User avatar
2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14437
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:51 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by 2wilzgood » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:05 am

As Colbert just mentioned, "Hyperpartisanship is so high school."

Republicans are.. dinosaurs
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

User avatar
judik
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 20787
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:21 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by judik » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:10 am

Well, enjoy your victory dance judi.

Thank you
I would have wished you the same
The next time you're passing through the reddest of red states, I can show you where urban elitist liberals hang out.

Where is that?
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

User avatar
guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup
Posts: 24998
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:44 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by guruwil » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:10 am

brettyb wrote: And there is still a House controlled by some who will continue to keep the teenager with daddy's credit card in the white house in check.


Talk about petulant teenager behaviour, try some grace in defeat, oh and by the way, the current teenager with the credit card has spent a bucket load less on it than the previous teenager with the card.

And it looks like the Dems may take control of the senate, which would be nice.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

User avatar
i_have_shiny_shoes
playing outside
Posts: 6162
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:36 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by i_have_shiny_shoes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:15 am

VinceFoster wrote:the OP is a bit of fawning disguised as an appeal to reason.

Obama may just win in spite of losing the popular vote and you want to to tsk tsk those who anticipated a Romney victory because they should never have underestimated your hero?

pretty childish.

well, back to your circle jerk.

:D


There's no chance Obama will lose the popular vote, and it looks like he'll be >300 in EC. Oh, and there's a good chance Romney will win 47% of the PV. Some might call that karma.
we're discussing it, so it's not secret.

User avatar
Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity
Posts: 8824
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by Electrolyte » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:25 am

i_have_shiny_shoes wrote:there's a good chance Romney will win 47% of the PV.

Oh! The irony!

User avatar
Flobster
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8512
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:38 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by Flobster » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Successful, hard working, educated and white


That casual racism is the sort of thng that has doomed the Republicans. It's like something out of the 1930s. If Hillary wins in 2016 and 2020 will there still be a Republican party?
The world ended on 21 December 2012.

flojin
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7288
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:38 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by flojin » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:22 pm

brettyb wrote:I expect juvenile celebration from the clueless 20-somethings here. I would have been there myself. But you two are mature enough to know how destructive it will be to get to the point where more people are riding in the wagon than are helping pull it.


Aren't the red states the takers and blue states the makers? I thought the redistribution of wealth in the US was from blue states to red. Has this changed, or does it not count because it's an ideologically inconvenient fact?
Lost Soul wrote:I have it on good authority that William Brennan, Maobama's CIA head, will be referred by the IG for criminal indictment.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3083
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:53 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by mishmish » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Obama may just win in spite of losing the popular vote


LOL yeah, maybe

polardude1
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 59401
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:30 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by polardude1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Obama may just win in spite of losing the popular vote and you want to to tsk tsk those who anticipated a Romney victory because they should never have underestimated your

I don't think that wuiil be the case when all the votes are in
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

tph24601
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6640
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:32 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by tph24601 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:07 pm

brettyb wrote:And there is still a House controlled by some who will continue to keep the teenager with daddy's credit card in the white house in check.

oh yes, congressional republicans, they are known for their financial/budgetary discipline

guys like Paul Ryan, never afraid to talk up spending cuts (unless it's for military or social security or farm subsidies) while asking for government earmarks for his state/district

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 52676
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by eric84 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Republicans continued to think that Dem voters weren't motivated, that their voter supression tactics would work, they could Super PAC their opponents to the ground and that their GOTV efforts would be better. Wrong on all counts. They're finally going to have to learn that they actually have to persuade people that they're the better choice.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity
Posts: 8824
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by Electrolyte » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:13 pm

flojin wrote:does it not count because it's an ideologically inconvenient fact?

Facts in general seem to be inconvenient for Republicans. Religion and white male anger are things that can't be understood or proven logically.

User avatar
korgy
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24245
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:55 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by korgy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:38 am

flojin wrote: I thought the redistribution of wealth in the US was from blue states to red. Has this changed, or does it not count because it's an ideologically inconvenient fact?


heh
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

User avatar
crzypt
Incorrigible Testiclast
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:10 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by crzypt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:25 am

brettyb wrote:I expect juvenile celebration from the clueless 20-somethings here. I would have been there myself. But you two are mature enough to know how destructive it will be to get to the point where more people are riding in the wagon than are helping pull it.


A sage observation, indeed, which is why I'm completely confident that you also support the reinstatement of the Reagan-era income tax rates, not to mention the Glass-Steagall Act. A Securities & Exchange Commission that does its job enforcing existing laws and regulations instead of serving as a temporary holding pen for future Goldman apparatchiks would be nice too, but we mustn't be greedy now should we?
I yam what I yam....except when I'm a sweet potato

User avatar
korgy
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24245
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:55 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by korgy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:33 am

crzypt wrote:
brettyb wrote:I expect juvenile celebration from the clueless 20-somethings here. I would have been there myself. But you two are mature enough to know how destructive it will be to get to the point where more people are riding in the wagon than are helping pull it.


A sage observation, indeed, which is why I'm completely confident that you also support the reinstatement of the Reagan-era income tax rates, not to mention the Glass-Steagall Act. A Securities & Exchange Commission that does its job enforcing existing laws and regulations instead of serving as a temporary holding pen for future Goldman apparatchiks would be nice too, but we mustn't be greedy now should we?


heh
heh heh
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

User avatar
AnnieOakley
stewed
Posts: 5560
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:54 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by AnnieOakley » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:02 am

Pete, you bad.
You meet the same folks on the way up as you do on the way down.

User avatar
brettyb
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1169
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:27 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by brettyb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 pm

korgy wrote:
flojin wrote: I thought the redistribution of wealth in the US was from blue states to red. Has this changed, or does it not count because it's an ideologically inconvenient fact?


heh


A silly straw man is the premise for this argument. The measure of federal taxes paid versus federal taxes received is of little meaning. The two straw man assumptions here are: 1) If one favors limiting the size, scope and cost of the federal government, then one must favor no federal government. Absurdist. 2) A corollary to #1...all federal spending constitutes welfare or wealth redistribution. Even more ludicrous.
Sacred cows make the best hamburgers

User avatar
Scott_Baio
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 20147
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:31 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by Scott_Baio » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 pm

What they don't get is how the changing demographic of the american electorate is making the GOP close to being irrelevant


Sheer idiocy. Two years ago the GOP butt fucked the Democratic Party in record fashion. Those are always conveniently forgotten results from the peanut gallery.
Haters wanna hate.

User avatar
birdlite
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10438
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:00 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by birdlite » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Scott_Baio wrote:
What they don't get is how the changing demographic of the american electorate is making the GOP close to being irrelevant


Sheer idiocy. Two years ago the GOP butt fucked the Democratic Party in record fashion. Those are always conveniently forgotten results from the peanut gallery.


And they were predicted by Fox and LouKnee to take the Senate and presidency in record fashion.
But they didn't. The momentum of 2010 was dead in the water by early this year when republicans started devouring their own.

User avatar
Scott_Baio
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 20147
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:31 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by Scott_Baio » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:50 pm

I don't give a shit about the momentum from 2010. And I agree with the criticism leveled at the rightwing media that were so "off" in their predictions.

But the post mortem of this election is ridiculous. All of the liberals in the media who are now trying to tell the GOP on how they need to proceed in future elections is hee-larious.

"Just adopt everything we say and do and that'll do it!"

Whatever. I don't think this demographic time bomb is as catastrophic as the liberals are making it out to be. A short two years ago the dems were getting their asses handed to them. You can't tell me that THAT much has changed over the past 2 years. You can't tell me that so much has changed over the past 2 years that it would skew the populace in favor of the dems for the foreseeable future.
Haters wanna hate.

User avatar
birdlite
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10438
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:00 am

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by birdlite » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:47 am

Scott_Baio wrote:I don't give a shit about the momentum from 2010.
Then why would you write Two years ago the GOP butt fucked the Democratic Party in record fashion. Those are always conveniently forgotten results from the peanut gallery

And I agree with the criticism leveled at the rightwing media that were so "off" in their predictions.

But the post mortem of this election is ridiculous. All of the liberals in the media who are now trying to tell the GOP on how they need to proceed in future elections is hee-larious.

"Just adopt everything we say and do and that'll do it!"

Whatever. I don't think this demographic time bomb is as catastrophic as the liberals are making it out to be. A short two years ago the dems were getting their asses handed to them. You can't tell me that THAT much has changed over the past 2 years. You can't tell me that so much has changed over the past 2 years that it would skew the populace in favor of the dems for the foreseeable future.


The liberal media is covering the the GOP hand wringing. Go ahead and read the conservative press and see if you get anything different than the MSM.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/ ... d-thompson
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/ ... ael-barone
http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/11/ ... tives.html
http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/11/bill- ... pull-back/
http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/12/forme ... in-office/

User avatar
judik
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 20787
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:21 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by judik » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:49 am

"Just adopt everything we say and do and that'll do it!"

You might want to step away from Fox news and start reading what the people you would call RINOS are saying about this
Conservatives with deeply held beliefs who want to return to the more traditional principles of small government.They are very concerned about the deficit,not at all about gay marriage
They see comprehensive immigration reform as a way to draw people into the fold
Rubio understands thats so does Jeb
Surprisingly enough Rick Perry does also
Their government that doesn't sneer at a large segment of the population and call them chumps,idiots,moochers,takers
Alienating those who could be a part of your party is not a recipe for success

David Frum is a good place to start if you want to see a way out of the despair
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

User avatar
Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity
Posts: 8824
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by Electrolyte » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:37 pm

brettyb wrote:all federal spending constitutes welfare or wealth redistribution. Even more ludicrous.

Sorry, what's the ludicrous part? They are getting more services than they are paying for, and then they are complaining about the "takers" and the "dependents". Seems pretty simple.

User avatar
judik
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 20787
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:21 pm

Re: How many times does it need to be said?

Post by judik » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Close races are being decided for Dems
The GOTV effort was crucial
apparently community organizing is a good business practice
I read that as a thank you to Bill Clinton,Obama was going to bequeath his GOTV machinery to Hillary if she decides to run
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Post Reply