'Thanks to him I'm here': How Rabbi Yosef brought Ethiopian!

Keep it civil or we'll send in UN peacekeepers

Moderator: Moderator

queenrania
Stew Ingredient

'Thanks to him I'm here': How Rabbi Yosef brought Ethiopian!

Post by queenrania » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:40 pm

'Thanks to him I'm here': How Rabbi Yosef brought Ethiopians to Israel

Standing up to authorities, Rabbi Ovadia Yosef ruled Ethiopia's Jews are Jews for all intents and purposes, 40 years ago. 'He was alone and he stood by what he believed in,' says Ethiopian rabbi

Ilana Curiel Published: 10.08.13, 22:00 / Israel News

"It was thanks to him that I came to Israel. He's the human, rabbinical shield, and thanks to him I'm here." These two sentences by a young Ethiopian-Israeli succinctly sum up the results of one of Rabbi Ovadia Yosef's most significant rulings, which led to Israel opening its gates to Ethiopian-Jewish immigrants.

Upon his death, many Ethiopian-Israelis now say: "We're the rabbi's Jews."

"In his mind he considers himself Jewish because of Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, and not because his ancestors were Jews who were at Mount Sinai," explained Rabbi Sharon Shalom, who spoke with the young man.

Shalom, a doctorate student at the Jewish philosophy department in Bar-Ilan University who emigrated from Ethiopia in 1982, added that "today it seems that the Israeli public opinion as well considers them (Ethiopians) the rabbi's Jews. He who in fact 'kosherized' Ethiopia's Jews and labeled them Jewish is Yosef, even though the Ethiopian-Jewish community existed for thousands of years. I grew up on this ruling."

The Ethiopian-Jews' chief rabbi, Yosef Hadana, Rabbi Yosef's student, immigrated to Israel in 1972 and witnessed the process the rabbi underwent before the ruling.

"First of all he studied the subject thoroughly. He listened to tourists who visited Ethiopia and learned rabbinical opinions and asked us, members of the community. One night he called me after midnight and wanted to hear word-for-word what community members said at wedding ceremonies. By that time he was close to the community. When four guys arrived in Israel with a temporary visa and received expulsion notices, we hid them. The rabbi said: 'Bring them to me' and he converted them. He promptly produced a certificate of approval and they got oleh papers. After that, he issued the ruling."

According to him, "what's surprising is that when he wrote the ruling, the government was against it, as well as the rabbis. He was alone and he stood by what he believed in; eventually, the power of Torah, the power of faith, had the upper hand."

"The emigration from Ethiopia to Israel shook the Ethiopian community's way of life to the core," explained Dr. Malka Shabtai, an anthropologist who has been tracking Ethiopians' assimilation into Israeli society for 30 years.

"In Ethiopia they had a distinct Jewish identity, and to this day the rabbinate preserves separate betrothal procedures for the community. These are people who were village shepherds and lived traditional lives and today they hold public office, in the Knesset, in state institutions. There are many who are not there yet, they're on their way. It's a dramatic change of life from a traditional society to a modern one. The community pays a heavy price for it. But it has arrived, and it's here – an inseparable part of Israel."

According to Hadana, "For everything I needed I turned to him, and he would help and make a phone call. Once, Ethiopian children were turned away from yeshivot. I went to him. He immediately phoned the Interior Ministry – where Aryeh Deri was the minister and Eli Yishai his deputy – and asked Yishai to come to him. 'You see Rabbi Hadana?', he told him, 'get him a meeting with the Maayan Hinuch Torani network director to sort this out'."

Hadana added that Rabbi Yosef was concerned with the assimilation of the Ethiopian community in Israeli society. "But he believed everything will be fine," he said. "Anything that smelled of rejection or denial disappointed him, but he was also very satisfied. When he saw (Ethiopian) guys in the haredi and Zionist yeshivot, he used to say: 'It was worth it'."

"In his mind he considers himself Jewish because of Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, and not because his ancestors were Jews who were at Mount Sinai," explained Rabbi Sharon Shalom, who spoke with the young man.

Shalom, a doctorate student at the Jewish philosophy department in Bar-Ilan University who emigrated from Ethiopia in 1982, added that "today it seems that the Israeli public opinion as well considers them (Ethiopians) the rabbi's Jews. He who in fact 'kosherized' Ethiopia's Jews and labeled them Jewish is Yosef, even though the Ethiopian-Jewish community existed for thousands of years. I grew up on this ruling."

The Ethiopian-Jews' chief rabbi, Yosef Hadana, Rabbi Yosef's student, immigrated to Israel in 1972 and witnessed the process the rabbi underwent before the ruling.

"First of all he studied the subject thoroughly. He listened to tourists who visited Ethiopia and learned rabbinical opinions and asked us, members of the community. One night he called me after midnight and wanted to hear word-for-word what community members said at wedding ceremonies. By that time he was close to the community. When four guys arrived in Israel with a temporary visa and received expulsion notices, we hid them. The rabbi said: 'Bring them to me' and he converted them. He promptly produced a certificate of approval and they got oleh papers. After that, he issued the ruling."

According to him, "what's surprising is that when he wrote the ruling, the government was against it, as well as the rabbis. He was alone and he stood by what he believed in; eventually, the power of Torah, the power of faith, had the upper hand."

"The emigration from Ethiopia to Israel shook the Ethiopian community's way of life to the core," explained Dr. Malka Shabtai, an anthropologist who has been tracking Ethiopians' assimilation into Israeli society for 30 years.

"In Ethiopia they had a distinct Jewish identity, and to this day the rabbinate preserves separate betrothal procedures for the community. These are people who were village shepherds and lived traditional lives and today they hold public office, in the Knesset, in state institutions. There are many who are not there yet, they're on their way. It's a dramatic change of life from a traditional society to a modern one. The community pays a heavy price for it. But it has arrived, and it's here – an inseparable part of Israel."

According to Hadana, "For everything I needed I turned to him, and he would help and make a phone call. Once, Ethiopian children were turned away from yeshivot. I went to him. He immediately phoned the Interior Ministry – where Aryeh Deri was the minister and Eli Yishai his deputy – and asked Yishai to come to him. 'You see Rabbi Hadana?', he told him, 'get him a meeting with the Maayan Hinuch Torani network director to sort this out'."

Hadana added that Rabbi Yosef was concerned with the assimilation of the Ethiopian community in Israeli society. "But he believed everything will be fine," he said. "Anything that smelled of rejection or denial disappointed him, but he was also very satisfied. When he saw (Ethiopian) guys in the haredi and Zionist yeshivot, he used to say: 'It was worth it'."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340 ... 68,00.html

invertebrate
Stew Ingredient

Re: 'Thanks to him I'm here': How Rabbi Yosef brought Ethiop

Post by invertebrate » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Who fucking cares who this guy brought to the tiny walled in piece of shit desert.... good riddance to a religious fanatic.
"We have been saying for a long time that Israel is a pedophiles paradise and everyone said we were exaggerating," council head Yitzhak Kadman said.

queenrania
Stew Ingredient

Post by queenrania » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 pm

invertebrate wrote:Who fucking cares who this guy brought to the tiny walled in piece of shit desert.... good riddance to a religious fanatic.

May you roast in hell on top of your younger family members!

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Who fucking cares who this guy brought to the tiny walled in piece of shit desert.... good riddance to a religious fanatic.

I have no admiration for Queenie, but based on your post I suggest you just fuck off.
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

queenrania
Stew Ingredient

Post by queenrania » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:17 pm

polardude1 wrote:

I have no admiration for Queenie, but based on your post I suggest you just fuck off.

You do not admire Queen Rania, the queen of Palestine? What a shame, Polar!

Listen, Polar, at the very least, I easily fish out the haters/antisemites. What are your accomplishments?

Have you changed the antisemitic brains of Terries, Steves in hell, Zaffers, etc with your diplomatic and careful approach? Read my lips, polar, these people are sick to the core and their nature is totally vile. Your politeness will never change them and niether will mine but at least I tell them who and what they are while you just continue dancing around them. Unlike you I dont have patience for scum and that is exactly what and who they are.

hankest
Stew Ingredient

Post by hankest » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:36 pm

The guy was kind of a douchebag...

Although i like his idea that goyim were placed on earth to help those of us with tribal blood. Odd, my wife disagrees.
My mama's so glad I'm outdoors

queenrania
Stew Ingredient

Post by queenrania » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:09 pm

hankest wrote:The guy was kind of a douchebag...

Although i like his idea that goyim were placed on earth to help those of us with tribal blood. Odd, my wife disagrees.

You dont understand his teachings and words. He was a prodigy, a tzadik. Who the fuck are you? A dumb low class poster on this forum. How many people will come to your funeral?

See the difference, mongrel?

hankest
Stew Ingredient

Post by hankest » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:36 pm

A douchebag is someone who says Jews who were murdered in the Holocaust:

“were reincarnations of the souls of sinners, people who transgressed and did all sorts of things which should not be done. They had been reincarnated in order to atone.”

The Rabbi said that. The Rabbi is a douche bag.

QED

Who am i? I am the man your mother thinks about when she masturbates, that's who i am my friend.

queenrania
Stew Ingredient

Post by queenrania » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:49 pm

hankest wrote:A douchebag is someone who says Jews who were murdered in the Holocaust:

“were reincarnations of the souls of sinners, people who transgressed and did all sorts of things which should not be done. They had been reincarnated in order to atone.”

The Rabbi said that. The Rabbi is a douche bag.

Your dumbshit, low class kind is not intellectually equipped to digest his words and meanings. You are nothing more than mixture of piss and vinegar. You dont have the brain capacity to absorb greatness due to your ignorance. When it comes to Judaism you are fucking ignorant to the core. I am more than sure that regardless what your religion is you are very ignorant about it as well. You are just dirt!

QED

Who am i? I am the man your mother thinks about when she masturbates, that's who i am my friend.

See, you are proving my point that you are nothing more or less than a viral diarrea. You were born a sick pig and you will die a pig.

hankest
Stew Ingredient

Post by hankest » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Look Queendrano just because you think the Jews deserved what they got from the Nazis, like your hero believes, doesn't mean you need to get all testy.

You're an anti-Semite. Disgusting.

queenrania
Stew Ingredient

Post by queenrania » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01 pm

hankest wrote:Look Queendrano just because you think the Jews deserved what they got from the Nazis, like your hero believes, doesn't mean you need to get all testy.

You're an anti-Semite. Disgusting.

Haha..only a total mongrel would twist my words or take them out of context.

What is the matter, you dont want to identified as DIRTY PIG...? Sorry, that is who you are and since your momma spewed you out from her sickly womb then she is too.

hankest
Stew Ingredient

Post by hankest » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Look, you're an anti-semite, that is clear. Personally, i find it highly offensive that you think my relatives deserved to be murdered, but then you're not very bright so really who cares?

queenrania
Stew Ingredient

Post by queenrania » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:28 pm

hankest wrote:Look, you're an anti-semite, that is clear. Personally, i find it highly offensive that you think my relatives deserved to be murdered, but then you're not very bright so really who cares?

your relatives...hahaha...want to impress me by playing that card? Listen, you ignorant piece of bacterial shit Ovadia was one of the greatest prodigies of our time, a sage who by deciphering some passages affected the moral fibre of humanity. You are not properly equipped to understand him. No wonder the African Jews love him. He changed their lives when nobody cared for them or wanted to delve into their history and culture.

As for you, you have always been and will be a piglet. Congratulations to your dumb ...........what the matter was she that ugly that nobody with brains wanted to marry her and she had to settle for a piglet?

hankest
Stew Ingredient

Post by hankest » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Wow, you are mentally deranged. Your putrid antisemitism must ooze out of your very pores. You gleefully worship a man who thinks the jews got what they deserved from the Nazis. And you come here to boast about it. You are sick, a really mentally disturbed person.

Sigh, I'm getting so tired of jew haters like yourself - I have nothing more to say to you.

queenrania
Stew Ingredient

Post by queenrania » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:47 am

hankest wrote:Wow, you are mentally deranged. You are sick, a really mentally disturbed person.

Ha...your wife did not think so. She was pretty content!