Loaded decks

Keep it civil or we'll send in UN peacekeepers

Moderator: Moderator

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Loaded decks

Post by TerryTeo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 am

As negotiations about negotiations resume, the initial delegations have gathered in Washington with pessimism fuelling ambition.

Predictably, the Palestinians have dispatched Saeb Erekat, long time confidant of Yasser Arafat and his succesor Mahmoud Abbas. Joining him is Muhammad Shtayyeh a senior Palestinian economist and cabinet minister. Dr Shtayyeh has been on the scene for a while but his elevation over the likes of Yasser Abed Rabbo or Nabil Shaath is interesting.

The Israeli delegation is led by Martin Indyk with support from Tzipi Livni and Yitzhak Molcho.

Indyk, the former US Ambassador to Israel has been appointed by the US Secretary of State, John Kerry with Livni and Molcho serving at the instruct of Netanyahu. I have no problem with Livni or Molchos appointment, but bemused that once again the US have nominated a former Israel lobbyist to represent itself. Indyk was a former Deputy Director of Research for AIPAC and a former international communications advisor to then Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir. He follows other former AIPAC staffers Dennis Ross and Aaron Miller who have found themselves in senior roles representing the US during Israeli-Palestinian negotiations. Is it so difficult for the Americans to find to a representative that isn't connected to a Jewish lobby organisation?

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Re: Loaded decks

Post by TerryTeo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:47 am

Typical of the I/P issue, even some on Israels right have portrayed him as a puppet.

jono_in_adelaide
stewpid colonial

Post by jono_in_adelaide » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Was I going slightly mad, or did one of the American delegation speak with an Australian accent?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Martin Indyk was born in the UK
Ereich
DCComic was, of course, the one doing the chasing. He appears to have misquoted Polar in his autosignature, something he has trouble with.

DCComic
I'm a crazy racist cunt.

No quotation marks used