The EU grows some balls...

Keep it civil or we'll send in UN peacekeepers
TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Re: The EU grows some balls...

Post by TerryTeo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:43 am

This post was made by phlebas who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

Stalker, go away.

....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Rainman wrote:Um.. according to your link, Bill Clinton introcuded the idea AFTER Camp David negotiations broke up. In other words, Arafart alrady walked away from negotiations

"Um" is about as profound as your wisdom allows. If you're too stupid to recognise the link between Clintons announcement to the Israeli media immediately following the collapse of talks and what was discussed during them, that's your fault. But just to highlight your ignorance, here's confirmation from the Israeli government that the idea was raised at Camp David.

"During the Camp David peace talks of 2000, President Clinton announced that if an agreement would be reached, then an international fund should be established to compensate the refugees, both Arab refugees and Jewish refugees from Arab countries."

In other words, you're wrong again. Why are you wrong again? Because instead of considering what has been provided for you, all you are trying to do is find an excuse not to learn and not to understand. Why would someone prefer ignorance to knowledge?

phlebas
Stew Ingredient

Post by phlebas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:09 pm

This post was made by phlebas who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

Stalker, go away.

I made an ignore list! Cool.
Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:39 pm

if an agreement would be reached

You do realize how ambiguous that whole idea was and quiet possible how unworkable it was. You whole link focuses on Jewish refugees from Arab countries. You would have to bring donor counties into the picture, if indeed they made any tangible promises. As for Jewish refugees from Arab counties, i don't quite think that the Arab world or Arafat even considered that an agenda item.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... eace-deal/
Arafat walked out of those talks because he did not get his total right or return. but since you are placingh sio muhc stock on Clinton, you might want to consideer this:

Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat told Bill Clinton shortly after his presidency had ended that he was willing to accept a U.S.-proposed peace deal with Israel that he previously had rejected, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said.

“After my husband left office, Arafat calls him up some months later and says ‘I’m ready to take the deal now,’” Mrs. Clinton said during an interview with the Associated Press, according to a State Department transcript.

Mr. Clinton has long blamed Mr. Arafat for the failure of final status peace talks in 2000 and early 2001, in which the U.S. and Israel proposed a Palestinian state in the Gaza Strip and nearly all of the West Bank with East Jerusalem as its capital.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... otiations/

Prime Minister Ehud Barak urged Clinton to convene this summit. Barak wanted to push for a permanent agreement -- skipping interim redeployments called for in the Wye agreement -- and envisioned a two-state solution that would end the conflict.

Issues never before discussed at senior levels between Israelis and Palestinians -- Jerusalem, statehood, boundaries, refugees -- were put on the table. Barak and Clinton suggested a path-breaking plan permitting a Palestinian state with a capital in Jerusalem. But the Palestinians criticized Barak for coming to Camp David with a proposal for dividing the West Bank they had already rejected. And,in their eyes, the Clinton/Barak plan would have left the new Palestinian state with significant loss of water and good land, almost split by Israeli annexation running east from Jerusalem, and with Israel getting roughly 9 percent of the West Bank. However, U.S. and Israeli officials contend that throughout the summit, the Palestinians rejected Israeli proposals while offering no proposal of their own. Publicly, both Clinton and Barak blamed Arafat for the failure to reach an agreement on a two-state solution.

Despite the setback, however, Arafat and Barak approved a new series of secret meetings between the negotiators over the following months.

Damn! And Terror could not handle one of the more civil posters

Stalker, go away.

I made an ignore list! Cool.
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Rainman wrote:Damn! And Terror could not handle one of the more civil posters

In a thread where he has on three occasions called me a cunt you would argue that he is civil (polite and courteous). Such is your disconnect from rational thought. Fleabag is a bore and has nothing more to contribute on this subject than adolescent vitriol.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:50 pm

Rainman wrote:
Damn! And Terror could not handle one of the more civil posters

In a thread where he has on three occasions called me a cunt you would argue that he is civil (polite and courteous). Such is your disconnect from rational thought. Fleabag is a bore and has nothing more to contribute on this subject than adolescent vitriol

You're accusing another poster of name calling???? How ironical!

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Rainman wrote:
if an agreement would be reached

You do realize how ambiguous that whole idea was and quiet possible how unworkable it was. You whole link focuses on Jewish refugees from Arab countries. You would have to bring donor counties into the picture, if indeed they made any tangible promises. As for Jewish refugees from Arab counties, i don't quite think that the Arab world or Arafat even considered that an agenda item.

Right on key, you roll out the excuses again. It is not my fault that your comprehension level is on par with a turnip. The "whole link" does not only address Jewish refugees, you clearly missed the very first sentence...

"...a useful model in the provision of equitable compensation for both Jewish and Arab refugees"

It astounds me how you can be so utterly wrong so often, even when you are hand fed the information. As you were wrong again when you missed Clintons statement to the Israeli media, that at Camp David the Palestinians agreed to include the issue of compensation for Jewish refugees also, on the agenda. And to compound your ignorance you also missed the quote from Clinton, again to the Israeli media, where he indicated that an International fund would be established, to which the US would contribute along with other G8 countries. If you weren't aware, Clinton left Camp David briefly during the 2000 summit, to attend the G8 summit in Okinawa Japan and obtained pledges of financial support for the fund from some of those in attendance. He then returned to Camp David with this news for Arafat and Barak who had been waiting for his return having reached a standstill in negotiations.

You need to reconcile that on the one hand you're claiming that the Palestinians rejected a deal, while on the other hand arguing with me, that there was no deal to be accepted. With every excuse that you make about the falability of the refugee solution proposal, you repeat the objections raised by Israel in 2000 that precluded any possibility of success.

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Rainman, to appreciate the origin of your name, think back to when you and your mob started calling me "Terror". Now if you don't care for being called Rainman, you should either give up the dopey routine or block me as I've done Fleabag. The difference with Flea though, is that he makes no contribution to a thread, well nothing beyond keeping Queenie company. Any cunt can call someone a cunt or constantly post pictures of wanna be terrorists, it takes greater effort to justify an argument.

phlebas
Stew Ingredient

Post by phlebas » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:55 pm

The difference with Flea though, is that he makes no contribution to a thread

Your contributions are just regurgitated minutiae picked up from anti-Zionist / anti-Semitic books and websites. It's not particularly clever just to swallow that and spew it up here.

There are plenty of Jew-hating forums for that sort of shit.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:59 am

Right on key, you roll out the excuses again.

yes throw out something unworkable and cry excuses.

The "whole link" does not only address Jewish refugees, you clearly missed the very first sentence...

I woud think that Syria, iraq, Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt, Algeria and Yemen would be broth to the table for this one

As you were wrong again when you missed Clintons statement to the Israeli media, that at Camp David the Palestinians agreed to include the issue of compensation for Jewish refugees also,

That's kind of strange,, don't you think? Was that going to come out of te pockets of Palestinians? What is to agree or disagree with? It does not even make sense.

you might want to read this
http://mideastweb.org/taba.htm

block me as I've done Fleabag

that would make you lonely

queenrania
Stew Ingredient

Post by queenrania » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:28 am

phlebas wrote:
The difference with Flea though, is that he makes no contribution to a thread

Your contributions are just regurgitated minutiae picked up from anti-Zionist / anti-Semitic books and websites. It's not particularly clever just to swallow that and spew it up here.

There are plenty of Jew-hating forums for that sort of shit.

He is a hateful and wounded animal. Come to California!

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:27 am

Rainman wrote:
Right on key, you roll out the excuses again.

yes throw out something unworkable and cry excuses.

Hello? It's YOU crying the excuses.

Rainman wrote:
The "whole link" does not only address Jewish refugees, you clearly missed the very first sentence...

I woud think that Syria, iraq, Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt, Algeria and Yemen would be broth to the table for this one

You think wrong again.

Rainman wrote:
As you were wrong again when you missed Clintons statement to the Israeli media, that at Camp David the Palestinians agreed to include the issue of compensation for Jewish refugees also,

That's kind of strange,, don't you think? Was that going to come out of te pockets of Palestinians? What is to agree or disagree with? It does not even make sense.

It is clear that comprehension is your problem so let me spell it out for you. Camp David was the first time that the issue of Jewish refugees were raised during negotiations. The Palestinians accepted the principle that compensation should also be awarded to Jewish refugees as well as Palestinian refugees, but they argued that this was not a matter for the bilateral talks between Israel and the Palestinians. They weren't opposed to the suggestion, but did not consider it an issue for resolving at those talks. Your suggestion that the Palestinians should be financially responsible for Jewish refugees from Arab and African nations is just stupid. Israel's financial responsibility for Palestinian refugees was a consequence of the fact that Israel had benefited from expropriated land and possessions following the Arab exodus. The Palestinians on the other hand had no role to play in expelling Jews from other lands.

Rainman wrote:you might want to read this

Yes I was aware of those documents already. What you may find more interesting though was the summary produced by the EU envoy Miguel Moratinos, following Taba that provide better understanding of the positions reached post Camp David. The link to this summary, was within the page you linked to, but can be found here also.

It alludes to the formula I mentioned earlier, whereby Israel would absorb a limited number of Palestinian refugees over an extended period and the remaining refugees would be given the opportunity to return to the Palestinian State. It also confirms the proposed establishment of an International Fund from with compensation would be made available to the refugees. You have gone from questioning the veracity of this proposal to linking confirmation of its existence.

phlebas
Stew Ingredient

Post by phlebas » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:02 am

TerryJHC wrote:Yes I was aware of those documents already.

But he just ignored them and quoted a source he liked better. Typical.

Basically Jetblast style 'debating' tactics.

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:02 am

This post was made by phlebas who is currently on your ignore list.

Question: What Is Cyberstalking?

Cyberstalking is a very serious form of online harassment. At one level, cyberstalking is much like cyberbullying, as it involves the sending of repeated annoying and unwelcome messages. But cyberstalking goes far beyond cyberbullying in terms of motivations and tactics. Cyberstalking involves a disturbed obsession with the target, and a perverse desire to control that target in some way, even by attacking the target's family members. Cyberstalkers do not wish to just torment someone for an adolescent power rush... stalkers want to force the target into some kind of submission, and are willing to involve other targets to achieve that disturbed result.

Who Are These Cyberstalkers?

Cyberstalkers come from all walks of life, and are often driven by disturbed emotions of inadequacy. Cyberstalkers can also be motivated by revenge over a feeling of being wronged, or by an anger due to unrequited love .

phlebas
Stew Ingredient

Post by phlebas » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:17 am

I though I was on your ignore list TerryJHC?

Anyway, that post was about you, not to you.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:42 am

It's funny how uncompromising the Taba proposal was. That was coming from the Palestinians.

The Jewish refugee issue ment nothing to the Palestinians and it is obvious that the neighboring were not part of that process.

But he just ignored them and quoted a source he liked better. Typical.

Basically Jetblast style 'debating' tactics.

You got that right. It was not more than a few months ago that Terror put a new spin on Hama's shelling of the town of Sderot. He justified it by citing the existence of a Palestinian village the location of Sderot. So that to him a=was justification of Has shelling civilians. 67 borders mean nothing to Terror

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:11 pm

Tired of getting schooled on refugees? Time to divert again? Typical.

phlebas
Stew Ingredient

Post by phlebas » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:20 pm

TerryJHC is arrogant as well as being anti-Semitic, isn't he Polar?

'Schooled'? Pff. Pathetic.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Tired of getting schooled on refugees? Time to divert again? Typical.

yes, the Taba propoal by the Palestiniansl has no meaning to Terror

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Why should it have any meaning to me? It was worthless to everyone. Taba was a lame duck and everyone except you knows that. Clinton and Barak were both soon to be out of office and again everyone knew that. Bush and Sharon were not going to support any of the Clinton parameters so the whole gig was up. The Palestinians saw Taba as an opportunity to bookmark negotiations for eventual resumption in the future. They knew nothing could come of those talks. Nothing did.

Fixating on what happened at Taba is pointless, especially when you have no regard for Baraks opposition towards the refugee issue at Camp David, the last real opportunity to secure a deal.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:14 pm

The Palestinians saw Taba as an opportunity to bookmark negotiations for eventual resumption in the future.

You mean with these demands? The Palestinians did not seem to change their demands, you know, the demands that brought about the collapse
pf the Camp David talks

Palestinian Proposal on Palestinian Refugees
January 22, 2001, Taba

ARTICLE XX: REFUGEES
The Significance of Resolving the Refugee Problem

1. The Parties recognize that a just resolution of the refugee problem is necessary for achieving a just, comprehensive and lasting peace.

Moral Responsibility

2. Israel recognizes its moral and legal responsibility for the forced displacement and dispossession of the Palestinian civilian population during the 1948 war and for preventing the refugees from returning to their homes in accordance with United Nations General Assembly Resolution 194.

3. Israel shall bear responsibility for the resolution of the refugee problem.

The Basis for a Settlement of the Refugee Problem

4. A just settlement of the refugee problem, in accordance with United Nations Security Council Resolution 242, must lead to the implementation of United Nations General Assembly Resolution 194.

Right of Return

5. a. In accordance with United Nations General Assembly Resolution 194 (III), all refugees who wish to return to their homes in Israel and live at peace with their neighbors have the right to do so. The right of every refugee to return shall be exercised in accordance with the modalities set out in the Agreement.

6. a. A Palestinian refugee is any Palestinian who was prevented from returning to his or her home after November 29, 1947.

b. Without limiting the generality of the term “refugee”, a “refugee” in this Agreement shall include a refugee's descendants and spouse.

c. Without limiting the generality of the term “refugee”, all registered persons with UNRWA shall be considered refugees in accordance with this Article.

Repatriation Commission

7. A Repatriation Commission shall be established in order to guarantee and manage the implementation of the right to return in accordance with this Article.

8. The Commission, inter alia, shall:

a. Verify refugee status as defined in this Article.

b. Determine priorities for certain categories of refugees and certain areas.

c. Determine procedures for repatriation.

d. Process applications.

e. Repatriate the refugees.

f. Provide assistance to returning refugees.

g. Ensure the protection of returning refugees.

9. The Commission shall be composed of representatives from the United Nations, the United States, the Parties, UNRWA, the Arab host countries, the EU, and Canada. The Commission shall consult the governments of the Arab host countries as it may deem it necessary.

10. The Parties should implement the decisions of the Commission and should take appropriate actions to facilitate the execution of the Commission's decisions.

11. The Commission shall define its structure and work procedures.

12. The Commission shall have its headquarters in ___ and may have offices at other locations, as it deems appropriate.

13. The Commission shall establish a mechanism for resolution of disputes arising from the interpretation, application or performance of this Article.

14. Refugees shall have the right to appeal decisions rendered by the Commission pursuant to this Article. The Commission shall establish a mechanism for appeals.

Modalities of Return

15. All refugees who currently reside in Lebanon and choose to exercise the right of return in accordance with this Article shall be enabled to return to Israel within two years of the signing of this Agreement.

16. Without prejudice to the right of every refugee to return to Israel, and in addition to refugees returning pursuant to Paragraph 15 above, a minimum of XX refugees will be allowed to return to Israel annually.

17. The refugees who wish to return should declare their intention to the Commission, in accordance with procedures to be set out by the Commission, within 5 years of the date the Commission starts receiving these declarations. The exercise of the right of return subsequent to such declaration shall not be limited in time.

18. The Commission shall determine, according to transparent criteria, who will be allowed to return in any given year in accordance with Paragraph 16 of this Article.

19. Repatriation should be based on an individual voluntary decision, and should be carried out in a way that maintains the family unit.

20. The refugees should be provided with information necessary for them to make an informed decision with regard to all aspects of repatriation.

21. The refugees should not be compelled to remain in or move to situations of danger or insecurity, or to areas lacking in the basic infrastructure necessary to resume a normal life.

22. The refugees shall be permitted to return in safety, without risk of harassment, intimidation, persecution, or discrimination, particularly on account of their national origin, religious belief, or political opinion.

23. The Parties shall make such modifications to their internal laws as are necessary to facilitate the implementation of the right of return.

24. The Parties shall call upon states that currently host refugees to facilitate the early return of refugees in a manner consistent with human rights and international law.

Legal Status of Returning Refugees

25. Returning refugees should enjoy full civil and social rights and should be protected against discrimination, particularly in employment, education and the right to own property.

26. The returning refugees shall assume Israeli citizenship. This shall end his or her status as a refugee.

Restitution of refugees' Real Property

27. Real property owned by a returning refugee at the time of his or her displacement shall be restored to the refugee or his or her lawful successors.

28. In case where, according to criteria determined by the Repatriation Commission, it is impossible, impracticable or inequitable to restore the property to its refugee owner, the refugee shall restituted in-kind with property within Israel, equal in size and/or value to the land and other property that they lost.

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:32 am

It is utter lunacy to present a document created in 2001 and claim that it was responsible for the collapse of negotiations the previous year. I'm not sure how many times you need to be reminded but it was Barak who refused to close negotiations regarding refugees at Camp David. In bilateral negotiations a problem can not be solved if one party refuses to discuss it

Thomas Freidman summed it up it Nov 99 in the NYT

Mr. Barak refuses to accept any Palestinian refugees back into Israel. He is counting on Mr. Arafat absorbing some of them into the West Bank and Gaza, and the rest being taken by the Arab states. What Mr. Barak seems to be figuring is that in the crunch, with the balance of power so much in Israel's favor, Mr. Arafat will have to eat most of the Jewish settlers in the West Bank, without Mr. Barak having to eat any of the refugees inside Israel. But it is not going to be so easy.

Barak point blank refused to accept UNSCR242 as a point of reference for resolving the refugee issue and packed his bags.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:04 am

I
t is utter lunacy to present a document created in 2001 and claim that it was responsible for the collapse of negotiations the previous year. I'm not sure how many times you need to be reminded but it was Barak who refused to close negotiations regarding refugees at Camp David. In bilateral negotiations a problem can not be solved if one party refuses to discuss it
Do you think those demands are any different than the demands in July 2000? Are they? No. This is it. Why would they go backwards. This is what Arafat was really looking for. It was not 100.000, it was those who were "displaced". Come on, who are you fooling/

So them you post an article that "sums it up" from 1999, and you accuse me of not focusing in events at Camp David? It's lie when you call name s and accuse the other poster of doing the same. You're a hypocrite and a lier.

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:41 am

No where have I accused you of not focusing on Camp David. You're confusing yourself.

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:57 am

It has been said here many times that disproportionate attention is paid to Israel at the expense of other international issues...

Some one even claimed that 99% of the attention is on this issue.

The fact-checker

Does the EU pick on Israel more than Syria, as Netanyahu claims?

A close look at the European Union's statements on foreign affairs shows that the organization has actually addressed the Syrian civil war four times more often than it has Israel.

Detractors of the new European Union directive prohibiting funding for entities with activities in the West Bank settlements are accusing the EU of hypocrisy for focusing on Israel but doing nothing to stop the civil war in Syria.

The leader of the pack has been Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. "The EU should worry about ending the civil war in Syria and stopping the Iranian nuclear program," Netanyahu charged. "These problems are a little more urgent."

MK Avigdor Lieberman (Yisrael Beiteinu) chimed in with his own reprimand: "It would have been better for the EU to have focused on the burning issues in the Middle East, such as Syria."

MK Nissan Slomiansky (Habayit Hayehudi) clarified the message: "At a time when the entire Middle East is going up in flames and thousands of people are dying every month, I would urge the EU to deal with the region's real problems."

But is it true that the EU cares more about the settlements than the Syrian civil war?

In fact, a careful look at the EU's statements on foreign affairs shows that the organization has actually dealt with the Syrian issue four times more often this year than with issues related to Israel, the Palestinians and the Jewish settlements.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-d ... m-1.537722

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:44 am

How has the EU addressed the Tibet issue. Have thre been any sanctions?

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:20 am

Weren't you the one who gave the 99% figure?

Why don't you tell me what sanctions Israel has in place against China? In fact isn't it the case that Israel is Chinas second largest foreign supplier of arms?

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 pm

How has the EU addressed the Tibet issue. Have there been any sanctions?

queenrania
Stew Ingredient

Post by queenrania » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:40 pm

How has the EU addressed the issue of Karelia? Kuril Islands? Transnistria? Ossetia? Abkhazia? Kashmir? New Kaledonia? Occupation of the Sahrawis?

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Rainman wrote:How has the EU addressed the Tibet issue. Have there been any sanctions?

Yes, not sufficently and as many as there have been against Israel.

If you see this as such a moral issue why do you not have an issue about Israel supplying arms to China?

phlebas
Stew Ingredient

Post by phlebas » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:45 am

In fact isn't it the case that Israel is Chinas second largest foreign supplier of arms?

That's bullshit. Israel used to supply China with radar kit and other stuff, but that stopped in 2005, as the US weren't keen. China also stopped being big arms importer around 2000 anyway, and started developing the technological capability of it's own arms industry.

TerryTeo
Stew Ingredient

Post by TerryTeo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:20 am

Typical. All the fuss about the EU's actions when they're 40yrs behind what the US has already in place. Will all the apologists here now demand that the US take up the cause of the Tibetans and Cypriots? No chance.

Amid outrage over EU guidelines

Israel already signed deal with U.S. that limits funding to inside 1967 borders

The wording of the 1972 agreement with the United States rejects projects in West Bank, East Jerusalem and Golan Heights, similar to controversial EU guidelines due to go into effect on January 1.

Israel says it won’t sign EU scientific agreements that forbid funding to entities based over the Green Line, but it signed such a deal with the United States in 1972.

The United States-Israel Binational Science Foundation, the main body promoting scientific cooperation between the U.S. and Israel, requires that projects be based inside the 1967 borders.

"According to the agreement between the U.S. and Israeli governments, projects sponsored by the Foundation may not be conducted in geographic areas which came under the administration of the Government of Israel after June 5, 1967 and may not relate to subjects primarily pertinent to such areas," the foundation says on its website in the section under eligibility.

The foundation disburses around $15 million annually, helping fund projects such as research delegations and conferences. It has awarded nearly $500 million in grants to around 4,000 scientists.

The foundation is one of three primary frameworks within which Israel receives research grants from other nations. The other two are the EU, and the joint German-Israeli GIF. Hebrew University in Jerusalem, for example, has received roughly 20 million Euros in funds from the EU through the FP7 program, which is set to end soon, and $4 million dollars from the Binational Science Foundation.

An official involved in the foundation's work says the Israeli government is aware of the clause and that the foundation has never veered from the guideline.

This week, negotiations begin with the European Union on Israel joining the Horizon 2020 program for scientific cooperation. Under new EU guidelines set to go into effect on January 1, entities with links to the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Golan Heights may not take part. Israel has announced that it cannot sign such an agreement and is thus negotiating with the European Union.

Israel is the only non-European country eligible to join the program as a member with equal rights. Israel has received millions of euros from the European Union in previous scientific agreements.

Earlier this week, the president of the Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities, Prof. Ruth Arnon, sent a letter to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu explaining the importance of scientific cooperation with Europe.

Arnon wrote that if Israel disagrees now, it may not get a second chance to join Horizon 2020 with the same benefits. Arnon said it is not just a matter of money; there is simply no replacing scientific cooperation with the European Union, both for research institutions and the high-tech industry.

She urged the government to sign the agreement and offered to meet with ministers to get them on board.