US National Parks

Point, shoot, leave.
tph24601
Stew Ingredient

US National Parks

Post by tph24601 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:28 pm

http://www.theusaonline.com/gallery/national-parks/index.htm
some nice photos of the main Natinonal Parks

I have been to 18 of them, looks like I am missing out on the other 30....

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Fri May 11, 2007 4:17 pm

I've been to 19 if you include the US Virgin islands.
The link you posted missed that

Lulu
Pain in the ass

Post by Lulu » Fri May 11, 2007 4:33 pm

Seven. I've only grown interested in U.S. travel and non-urban destinations in the last few years, but these parks are addicting.
I heard that you like the bad girls. Honey, is that true?

Polardude
Stew Ingredient

Post by Polardude » Fri May 11, 2007 5:27 pm

I've backpacked in a load of national parks, especially in the west. They have all been wonderful experieces, but now I'm going the national forest and recreational area route with more expance, less crowds and they're just as rewarding. In both the Wind Rivers in Wyoming an the San Juans in Colorado, I experienceded nearsolitude and magnificent nature and scenery.

As dfar as national parks are conerned, i have to say the Olympic is one of the most unique in its variety of climate zones -temperate rain forest, magnicent coast line, alpine and glaciated peaks in a setting with an elevation below 8000 ft.
Mali
"Aint that sweet. 3 kosher klown on one thread. Pity its not in a coffee bar in tel aviv. It would make an interesting target."

blueeyes_austin
Blue Eyed Devil

Post by blueeyes_austin » Fri May 11, 2007 7:24 pm

At least 23, many when I was a kid. There are a few I don't remember if we went to or not.
"We shall cause a distortionary response in US fiscal policy! God is great! God is great!"--Electrolyte channeling the 9/11 hijackers

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat May 12, 2007 12:22 pm

I've been to most. If anybody is contemplating an extended US trip, PM me. I'll send you a National Park/Monument/Military/BLM/Forest pass that's good for free passage/camping until Feb 1, 2008. It's useless for me in AK unless I want to get on a bus. The good parks here are just happy to see you.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:47 am

blueeyes_austin wrote:At least 23, many when I was a kid. There are a few I don't remember if we went to or not.

20 for me. When I saw this I thought how can you not remember if you went or not, but then I went through the list and there are a couple that I'm not sure of. I was near them, but I think I didn't go or I would remember.

Polardude
Stew Ingredient

Post by Polardude » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:19 am

I guess it's been around 17 in the US and and around 5 in Canada
Mali
"Aint that sweet. 3 kosher klown on one thread. Pity its not in a coffee bar in tel aviv. It would make an interesting target."

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:32 am

i have a strong connection to the nearby rocky mtn parks, but i still have a lot to explore throughout north america.

here's another link that i posted elsewhere - brilliant photographer.
http://www.terragalleria.com/parks/parks.html

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:14 am

damn, zara, those are some high quality professional shots....

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:59 pm

Wow, those are good. They are all small because you have to pay for the full sized ones, but they are big enough to appreciate.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:08 pm

In the US, I have found some of the National Forests to be better than many of the national parks.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Polardude
Stew Ingredient

Post by Polardude » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:15 pm

In the US, I have found some of the National Forests to be better than many of the national parks.

different management philosophty. I was in the San Juan's in Colrado last year for an over night backpack.. There was a hugeexpance of trails and markings were kept to a minimum. A topo map was absolultly neccessary to hike there. Same wth the Wind Rivers in Wyoming.
Added bonus: few hikers.
Mali

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:25 pm

tph & electro, i believe i bookmarked that link from some poster's sigline on LPTT years ago ... could have been the photographer himself. it real is worth checking out the rest of his albums as well.

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:58 pm

mutha is fixing

q5qreloaded
Stew Ingredient

Post by q5qreloaded » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:08 pm

i've noted the night sky up on mts mazama (crater lake) and wheeler (the volcano which is great basin natl park, and the highest point in nevada). both very clear, and very cold.

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:14 pm

i don't mind the cold if it's a clear night in canada amongst the stars and northern lights! both (as well as the milky way) are visible from calgary but a lot more intense in the backcountry.

here's a large global light map

q5qreloaded
Stew Ingredient

Post by q5qreloaded » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:31 pm

as that night lights map shows, there's not much light pollution in most of africa. the clearest night skys i've seen were at about 3,000 m in kenya, and from atop mauna kea, just shy of 4,000.

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:47 pm

would love to see that. some, like the dogon, apparantly still navigate and live by the sky. if it's as vivid as you say, what a perfect tool to hold onto.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:03 pm

I once thought of going to a national park. But then I noticed that there was a station wagon driven by some cunt with six kids and a crew-cut heading in that direction. And I thought "why cramp their style?"

Polardude
Stew Ingredient

Post by Polardude » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:20 am

I once thought of going to a national park. But then I noticed that there was a station wagon driven by some cunt with six kids and a crew-cut heading in that direction. And I thought "why cramp their style?"

and you leave tem behind by going into the back country.

5 yeers ago friends and I flew out to Wyoming to backpack. My friends original idea was a backpack in Grand Teton NP over that Labor Day Weekend. I convinced them the Grand Teton would likely be packed outand all the back country sites taken. I had been there years before on one of my first solo backpacks and loved it.

We opted for the Wind River Range in the end. 700 miles of trails, fewer backpackers and no need for permits to camp. It is an amazing range tha is every bit as impressive as the Tetons.
Mali

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:23 pm

BulletPark wrote:I once thought of going to a national park. But then I noticed that there was a station wagon driven by some cunt with six kids and a crew-cut heading in that direction. And I thought "why cramp their style?"

Is this supposed to be a spoof of an angry drifter who hates the world?

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:05 am

unbelievable pic from nasa's astronomy archive!

dark sky over death valley (huge panorama)

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070508.html

Explanation: This eerie glow over Death Valley is in danger. Scrolling right will show a spectacular view from one of the darkest places left in the continental USA: Death Valley, California. The above 360-degree full-sky panorama is a composite of 30 images taken two years ago in Racetrack Playa. The image has been digitally processed and increasingly stretched at high altitudes to make it rectangular. In the foreground on the image right is an unusually placed rock that was pushed by high winds onto Racetrack Playa after a slick rain. In the background is a majestic night sky, featuring thousands of stars and many constellations. The arch across the middle is the central band of our Milky Way Galaxy. Light pollution is threatening dark skies like this all across the US, and therefore the International Dark-Sky Association and the US National Parks Service are suggesting methods that can protect them.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:26 am

Racetrack playa is one of the coolest (& spookiest) places I have ever camped. That black mound in the center of the photo is an island in the playa.

I hope it's still as remote & unvisited as it was when I was there - but probably not.

The rocks were determined to move across the playa & leave tracks only when ice formed on top of the very shallow lake that results in the winter then the wind would blow the ice sheet with rocks trapped in it across the mud. A sail of sorts for the rocks.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:44 pm

25 for me-- all after the age of 18. I'd like to get to the rest since they include Denali and Gates of th Arctic.

Zara - amazing photos. One of the few to properly capture Teddy Roosevelt and Wind Cave National Parks.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:08 pm

All toll, 20 for me, but ironic enough, as a native Californian, I've never been through/in Sequoia/Kings Canyon. Should pick up a few/couple more parks next week.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

Polardude
Stew Ingredient

Post by Polardude » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:15 am

25 for me-- all after the age of 18. I'd like to get to the rest since they include Denali and Gates of th Arctic.

Danalli is very special. If you're ito backpacking, bring a map and compass, there are no trails aside froma s hort one./
Mali

golgo13
Stew Ingredient

Post by golgo13 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:43 am

Anyone here ever check out the batflight at Carlsbad Caverns NM?

http://tinyurl.com/2g2lcl

Right_Turn
Evil Overlord

Post by Right_Turn » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:56 pm

I went to Guadalupe National Park for a few days last month.

q5qreloaded
Stew Ingredient

Post by q5qreloaded » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:44 pm

golgo13 wrote:Anyone here ever check out the batflight at Carlsbad Caverns NM?

http://tinyurl.com/2g2lcl
yep, was there the night after leaving guadaloupe some years ago.

was kind of shocked to see the cafeteria in the bottom of carsbad.

Right_Turn
Evil Overlord

Post by Right_Turn » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:18 pm

q5q-

We drove that same route from Guadalupe to Carlsbad as well. I can assure you, suburban sprawl and rampant development has not become a problem since your visit.

q5qreloaded
Stew Ingredient

Post by q5qreloaded » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:29 pm

that's good to know. i'm greatly disappointed to see how much more sprawl there is here in the southeast than there was when i was last here umpteen years ago. metastasis in the extreme, and the air quality is all to hell.

Right_Turn
Evil Overlord

Post by Right_Turn » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:24 pm

Other than the new DPS building for Texas state troopers near the border, I doubt one new building has gone up on the highway between Guadalupe Park and Carlsbad in 30 years. Beautiful desolation out there.

And you'll be glad to know the new DPS building has it's own windmill for generating power.

q5qreloaded
Stew Ingredient

Post by q5qreloaded » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:58 pm

i am indeed glad to hear about the windmill; need many many more of them, imo. coal-burning tva here contributes to some of the worst air quality in the country.

there are umpteen 300-odd foot 3-bladed windmills atop a mountain in the main front of the cumberlands about a about a dozen miles from here. a few people have decried the desecration of the mountainscape...which overlooks the fact that said mountains have all been stripmined. when i was a kid i took to calling them the staircase mountains due to the profiles such stripmining caused.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:01 am

Wrangell-St. Elias is way better than Denali (unless you have a boner for the mountain itself).

My boss has a float plane lined up for a couple day stint flying around Katmai NP when I finish this job in mid-July.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:58 pm

Ha, finally found it... http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... ps_big.jpg

I was searching for this post awhile back for a thread I posted on the night sky milk way over Uladag... love this pic.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:00 pm

I am the Shiva of US national parks.

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:07 pm

I hope to hit several this winter on our way to Texas. We decided to drive down instead of fly so we could take Hobbs and it'll give us an opportunity to visit some parks along the way...

Any suggestions that won't take us too far out of the way btwn Calgary and Dallas would be most appreciated! :)

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:10 pm

Consider southern Utah to southern Arizona, then through Guadelupe or Big Bend.

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:15 pm

Oarsum! Thx. No way would I miss this:

Any favourite accomodations? I'll be too preggers to rough it.

(have to run to meeting)

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:14 am

Bryce pretty much shuts down in the winter. Don't plan on lodging in the park, but nearby Panguitch has a few motels. It's over 8000', is colder than Calgary, and gets more snow. The North Rim of the GC closes altogether as does Cedar Breaks. In winter in Utah, lower parks are your best bet, like Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Zion, but they will still be colder than hell. But the drive across southern Utah is wonderful. Try Moab to St. George via Hanksville and Bryce.

From Vegas, head to the GC, then south through Sedona where there are three pocket NM's nearby dedicated to the Indian ruins (Montezuma Castle, Well and Tuzigoot), to Tucson to see Saguaro NP for a few hours. Then it's I-10 to Texas. Chiricahua NM south of Willcox is worth a look on the way. Expect freezing and snowy roads until you hit Phoenix.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:02 am

Bryce is nice, but it's a stop and take a picture park. It's worth seeing quickly. I like Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley, and Capitol Reef better. They are more interactive. You can go on great hikes or just drive around if you are too ... big. At Bryce you drive from one lookout point to the next and take a picture. You can go on some hikes too, but it is steep and not so big an area. The big parks are huge. They are all around you.

Polardude
Stew Ingredient

Post by Polardude » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:33 am

Wrangell-St. Elias is way better than Denali (unless you have a boner for the mountain itself).

I was really hoping to get there. I had a good topo map for a 3 day backback, but my travel buddy developed a back problem
Mali

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:02 am

Thanx! Appreciate the tips. I think we need to get some new tires before we leave (due for them anyway).

Another question... do your NPs have multi-park passes like Canada? Or do you pay every time you visit a new park?

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:50 pm

Annual passes for unlimited visits to every NP, NM, BLM campground etc. cost $80. I think they still sell limited visit passes also. And the single visit passes. Just ask at Glacier NP on your way south.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:10 pm

The unlimited pass is a good deal, especially if you plan to visit more than 1 or 2 "Big Sexy" parks like the grand canyon. Those usually charge quite a bit more than others.

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:57 am

good to know!

brettyb
Stew Ingredient

Post by brettyb » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Lost Soul wrote:Bryce pretty much shuts down in the winter. Don't plan on lodging in the park, but nearby Panguitch has a few motels. It's over 8000', is colder than Calgary, and gets more snow. The North Rim of the GC closes altogether as does Cedar Breaks. In winter in Utah, lower parks are your best bet, like Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Zion, but they will still be colder than hell. But the drive across southern Utah is wonderful. Try Moab to St. George via Hanksville and Bryce.

Bryce in winter is AWESOME! It is quiet, but it doesn't formally shut down. Snowfall has been inconsistent the past several years, but if the spigot is on, trails are groomed for X/C skiing just outside the park, and inside the park as well. You can stay just outside the park at Ruby's Inn, a Best Western affiliate. It has all the pluses and minuses of a large chain hotel. There are a few places to stay in nearby Tropic as well. And, as LS mentions, Panguitch has several hotels a little further from the park.

Bryce gets tagged as a drive through park. There is plenty of hiking though, enough to occupy an enthusiast for a couple of days. Hikes below the rim are sublime, though they could be quite slippery in winter.

Nearby Zion NP is much milder (at least in the bottom of Zion Canyon, where visitation is focused). I've been to all the national parks in Utah several times each. Winter is my favorite time to visit.
Sacred cows make the best hamburgers

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:23 am

I thought I'd only been to two, but in fact I've been to seven -- all but two in California. At least I think I've technically been in Death Valley, dangling my toes off the edge of Smith Mountain on the eastern rim.

National Parks are controlled by the Department of the Interior. National Forests are controlled by the Dept. of Agriculture, hence the slogan "Land of Many Uses" -- but those uses have been curtailed quite a bit. Large scale logging and mining are much less common now, yielding to recreation, and the recreation has been regulated to make it less taxing on the scenery.

For example I have seen the controls in the White Mountains National Forest -- one of the most heavily used, grow tremendously in the past thirty-five years, with cabins, lean tos and emergency shelters being removed, campgrounds eliminated, the invention of the "Restricted Use Area", and the "Wilderness Areas" you need a special permit to enter.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:00 pm

So how long before we need reservations to see a national park?