Stew Ingredient

Post by davidh » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Excellent pictures!

Where exactly in Rwanda did you visit?

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks.
Kigale, Kayonza and the nearby Akagera gamepark, Butare, Kigeme, the Nyungwe park, Kibuye, a boatride to Gisenyi, then back to Kigale.
I want my fucking money back

justinian
special sauce

Post by justinian » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:11 pm

I'm really diggin' the picture of the boys on the velocipede, thanks for sharing.

My music geek friends rave of Rwandan music... did you happen to catch any while there?
The HOFF, people! Knight Fuckin' RIDER right in the reclining chair section!! -- nettie

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:20 pm

Music? Only a little - I went to a wedding out in the sticks where they had a little eight piece choir singing acapella. Heart breaking harmonies - beautiful. The flip side was the amplified and electronically backed stuff I heard in a church on Christmas day - absolutely dreadful.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Excellent. Thanks for sharing, Candy.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:52 pm

quality portraits, candy.

Felix
arrogant Yankee cokehead

Post by Felix » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:58 pm

Lovely portraits.

candy, how do you approach people when you're shooting them? I've always felt really awkward doing it, although regret not having more shots of people.
Cherman humor: ha! because your father hates you, you have no one to fuck, you can't afford health care, you have nothing but this board, you pretend to have cancer, you are a racist pig, you are stupid, you are a bloody fuckface...

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:17 pm

Start with the old guys, hand round cigarettes, ask if I can take their picture. Then show them the pics I've taken, and to anyone else who's interested. After that people are generally flattered to be asked.
Before I had a digi camera I used to carry a polaroid as well as an SLR.

The candid shots were done with a 450mm lens.

Felix
arrogant Yankee cokehead

Post by Felix » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:21 pm

I was traumatized a while back, in Guatemala. In one of the villages on Lake Atitlan, I envisaged a gorgeous shot of a bunch of Maya day laborers waiting for their ride to a work site. I asked them in Spanish if I could take a photo of them. They scowled at me, and a couple of them shook their heads no. I don't know why, but it was one of the most mortifying moments I've had traveling.
Cherman humor: ha! because your father hates you, you have no one to fuck, you can't afford health care, you have nothing but this board, you pretend to have cancer, you are a racist pig, you are stupid, you are a bloody fuckface...

aero
Stew Ingredient

Post by aero » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:23 pm

Great photos, candy. They really give some flavour of the people.

zara
stewbie

Post by zara » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:28 pm

i'm so pleased we have this branch; it's one of the things i had hoped would come out of the taskforce, but we shouldn't have put it on hold until after growth. that was clearly a mistake since there's too much talent amongst our membership, and with the visual limitations of LPTT, perhaps this will help establish a niche and we can lure more members with these wonderful OPs. keep up the great work and thank you for sharing. :D

(and apologies for the little random musing)

Ian_in_DC
Evil Overlord

Post by Ian_in_DC » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:32 pm

Felix wrote:I was traumatized a while back, in Guatemala. In one of the villages on Lake Atitlan, I envisaged a gorgeous shot of a bunch of Maya day laborers waiting for their ride to a work site. I asked them in Spanish if I could take a photo of them. They scowled at me, and a couple of them shook their heads no. I don't know why, but it was one of the most mortifying moments I've had traveling.

The same thing happened to us in one of those small Lago Atitlan villages when we asked some very playful kids if we could take their picture. They (and their parents) adamantly rejected us on the spot. I wonder why this was.....
"You are the son of an incestuous union." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Bst6OXEUg

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:22 am

nice profile shots! I with felix in that I feel awkward taking shots of people usually. Also in Egypt if you did, they wanted money.
Yea, tho I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of the Toilet, I shall fear no Troll for it shall soon be gone!

Praise Avatars!

crossfire
Stew Ingredient

Post by crossfire » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:24 am

There is something so dreamy in the eyes of many African men

Dreamy? More like haunted. Even if he hadn't said Rwanda I might have guessed that just by the look in their eyes.
Yea, tho I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of the Toilet, I shall fear no Troll for it shall soon be gone!

Praise Avatars!

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:50 am

zara wrote:i'm so pleased we have this branch; it's one of the things i had hoped would come out of the taskforce, but we shouldn't have put it on hold until after growth. that was clearly a mistake since there's too much talent amongst our membership, and with the visual limitations of LPTT, perhaps this will help establish a niche and we can lure more members with these wonderful OPs. keep up the great work and thank you for sharing. :D

(and apologies for the little random musing)

Yup, it's an awe-inspiring branch. I think it will lead almost directly to me going to more exotic places than ever before. Peer pressure, you know.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:01 am

Gorgeous photos Candy - the one with the hands is my favorite.
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

Xerius
Stew Ingredient

Post by Xerius » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:52 am

Felix wrote:how do you approach people when you're shooting them? I've always felt really awkward doing it, although regret not having more shots of people.

Felix wrote:I was traumatized a while back, in Guatemala. In one of the villages on Lake Atitlan, I envisaged a gorgeous shot of a bunch of Maya day laborers waiting for their ride to a work site. I asked them in Spanish if I could take a photo of them. They scowled at me, and a couple of them shook their heads no. I don't know why, but it was one of the most mortifying moments I've had traveling.

This is something I struggle with a lot. My sister-in-law's criticized my pictures for being mostly buildings and scenery; all she does is photograph people. For starters, I'm very interested in architecture, so I photograph buildings, but at the same time, I've always wanted to take more pictures of people. The trick is the method of doing it. For me, asking just seems to be most polite, but it doesn't always work (and can be intimidating). I remember being in Turkmenistan at the big market outside of Ashgabat, which was full of fantastic photo opportunities. The problem is, it seemed like pretty much every time I asked one of the women dressed in the fabulously colorful clothing for a pic, they vehemently refused. I think I managed to get one shot of a willing male vendor (but he of course made a ridiculous posed stance), and the rest were all of people that I just happened to photograph as part of a greater scene.

I've known people that don't bother asking . . . they just get out the camera and shoot whenever it takes their fancy. While this is more likely to "capture the moment," it's also often very rude and likely to piss people off. I know in Mongolia many tourists have had rocks thrown at them for taking pictures of people at the Ulaanbaatar market without asking. And when I was in Harlem last year, I remember watching some guy on the street that was just about to physically attack some Italian tourist that had taken his picture.

Kids are easy to photograph, as long as their parents aren't around. Others I find really difficult to approach correctly.

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:34 am

You can't just point a camera at a total stranger (unless you have a very long lens and they won't notice you) without expecting a negative reaction - how would you feel if the tables were turned?
I take a lot (dozens) of pictures with a long lens in order to get a few good candid pics, and I really have to take what I can get rather than wait 'till somebody catches my eye and then be disappointed if they don't catch the light/turn my way/whatever.
The closer more portraity pics happen after sitting down and having a smoke or a cup of tea or buying whatever they're selling. You don't have to become best mates, but the ice has to be broken somehow first. People need to see you, then the camera.

Lulu
Pain in the ass

Post by Lulu » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:19 pm

Fan. Flippin. Tastic.

Are you a professional photographer candy? You blew me away with these.

Xerius
Stew Ingredient

Post by Xerius » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:42 pm

candy is dandy but... wrote:You can't just point a camera at a total stranger (unless you have a very long lens and they won't notice you) without expecting a negative reaction - how would you feel if the tables were turned?

Yeah, that's exactly my feeling. I knew a couple over here in Japan that would do that very thing, and I'm sure it's going to get them in trouble someday (if it hasn't already). You can probably get away with it here (since Japanese are so non-confrontational), but you're liable to really tick off the wrong person someday pulling that. Usually the only way I'll shoot someone's pic without asking is if I'm about 99% sure that they won't see me doing it. Since I don't have a camera with a good telephoto lens, that doesn't happen very often.

I should probably take your advice on interacting with people before attempting to turn them into photographic subjects. I know from previous experience that market vendors and such that I've haggled with or bought something from have been much more willing to have their pictures taken. Makes sense, really.

Anyhow, great pics from Rwanda - you've really captured the life of the place in those shots.

Midnight
Stew Ingredient

Post by Midnight » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:54 am

Candy that some fine photography. I don't know how you centered the shot of the girl through the lattace so well.Looks like a great experience you had.
I need to go somewhere soon after looking at all of these.
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you are one.

Thaires
Stew Ingredient

Post by Thaires » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:50 am

Bravo.

Daejn
Stew Ingredient

Post by Daejn » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:09 pm

Wow. I missed this first time around - thanks to Midnight for bumping it back up.

What equipment did you use for this? I have a 50mm 1.8 prime for my canon slr that takes beautifully crisp portraits, but the short focal length means that it's not so useful for sneaky shots from far away.

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:34 pm

Nikon D70, 18-70 and 70-300 zooms.
(The CCD is 2/3rds the size of a 35mm frame, so the zoom at any given focal length is 50% greater than when using the same lens on a film camera - hence effectively the lenses are 27-105 and 105-450)

Daejn
Stew Ingredient

Post by Daejn » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:52 pm

candy is dandy but... wrote:Nikon D70, 18-70 and 70-300 zooms.
(The CCD is 2/3rds the size of a 35mm frame, so the zoom at any given focal length is 50% greater than when using the same lens on a film camera - hence effectively the lenses are 27-105 and 105-450)

Yeah, I have the same problem with my 350d - so the 50mm works out at about 85mm.

Thanks for the info.

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:03 pm

I thought the magnification was an advabntage at first - 'till I started looking around for a wide angle and saw the prices.

Shifty
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shifty » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:29 pm

I remember when I met Candy in person, a bunch of us were walking through Jersey City's downtown area, and he asked a trio of rubby-looking men on a bench if he could take their picture. I figured it a joke at first, thought he was poking fun at them...who takes pictures of homeless-looking people? I realized afterwards that he was sincere, and his approach was very respectful. I am not surprised he was able to get so many great pics as shown here.

Candy, didn't you post that pic of the men on the bench here once? It turned out pretty good as well!

AntiEverything
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiEverything » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:40 pm

Candy those are stunning. I love the one of the hands.

Genius
Take note of the above comment. It may change your life.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:18 am

Candy- did you see any gorillas?

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:34 pm

No gorillas.

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:52 pm

Fabulous pics.
I love the one with the three men
I'm with others in that I feel very akward approaching people to take their picture and it does seem unethical of me to take their picture without asking permisssion
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

lederhosen
Stew Ingredient

Post by lederhosen » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:41 pm

Did you use a flash??? I always had difficulties with black faces in the sunshine.

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:02 am

No flash.
It was cloudy most days tho'.
Get the sun over one of your shoulders, and mostly you'll be fine.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Re: Rwandans

Post by DCComic » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:18 am

It was a different board before the graveshitting.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:01 pm

How odd that you bring that up out of nowhere, yet again, Candy. It was a different forum before 3000 dead Amerikkkans were slightly less than fuck all. It was a different forum before you started gleefully expressing your desire to gas a Joo. It was a different forum before you started wishing painful deaths on people. It was really a different forum before you dug up personal information about a poster and took your feud into real life. You fucking wannabe victim. Go fuck yourself you slimy cunt. I'm glad you're still miserable and feeling sorry for yourself, prick.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:51 am

You need a hobby, Moe.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk