Filipino Public Transportation

Point, shoot, leave.
EMG
Stew Ingredient

Filipino Public Transportation

Post by EMG » Wed May 09, 2018 2:47 pm

Not to be outdone by the Indian Railway thread!

(Not my photos)

The most iconic form of public transportation is the Jeepney, which you will often have to "top load" in the provinces.

Intra-city, an alternative to Jeepneys is the UV Express. Also called FX vans. They have airconditioning (which sometimes works). These vans are typically 12 seaters, which being in the Philippines means they "seat 18" and they will never leave until completely full. Occasionally I'll pay for a whole row (3 seats that seat 4 people).
If you have issues with leg room on airplanes, enjoy these ones, your knees will sometimes be tucked under your chin.

And once you get far enough out that there are no longer public transportation routes, it's time to hop on a tricycle

Of course, these can also be 'top loaded' as well

But the worst part of all, for me, is knowing you'll spend the next 3-8 hours in and out of these, but having to wait 1-2 hours just to get on them

There's also a reason I've only ridden the often broken-down, frustratingly slow and hot MRT/LRT here twice in 6 years

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Re: Filipino Public Transportation

Post by northern_goddess » Wed May 09, 2018 3:28 pm

Good grief.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed May 09, 2018 3:33 pm

Indeed. On the other hand, I can rent a private car to drive me 100km for around $60 US. Sometimes as little as $50. But when you like to hit beaches or mountains nearly every weekend, it's hard to justify doing that two ways, when the taxi-bus-jeepney-tricycle combination will only run you $8 or so.

Behind all my lovely photos of beaches and hiking and outdoors are many many hours spent with my knees jammed into the backs of seats, or into other people, or crouched over in some bumpy metal sidecar.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed May 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Yah, and it must take 17 hours to get there through all the traffic. I don't think I could do it.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 pm

That's why most of my weekend expeditions start between 3AM and 5AM.

By 7AM it's already late to be trying to leave town.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Wed May 09, 2018 6:40 pm

Ugh, that makes me car sick just looking at the first couple pictures. My stomach doesn't do well in tightly packed spaces in high heat, especially if I'm towards the back and the ventilation is bad.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed May 09, 2018 7:21 pm

lolasf wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:40 pm
Ugh, that makes me car sick just looking at the first couple pictures. My stomach doesn't do well in tightly packed spaces in high heat, especially if I'm towards the back and the ventilation is bad.
About half the time I go out of town, I spend half the time in transportation going "why do I keep doing this to myself?"
But then the destinations always make it worth it.

Though I have, a number of times, bailed out of public transportation and hired private just from sheer frustration.

Sitting in the back of a packed UV express for 50 minutes while they wait for 1 last passenger to cram onto your lap can drive you a little insane.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed May 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Perhaps you can try to meet women. What else do you have to do for all that time? It's like BusTinder.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Thu May 10, 2018 4:02 am

LOL, I rented a car.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Thu May 10, 2018 4:12 am

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Thu May 10, 2018 6:57 am

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:02 am
LOL, I rented a car.
I still do occasionally, but we’re talking like 1 private trip for every 40-50 out of town expeditions

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu May 10, 2018 3:09 pm

I just crossed the Philippines of my list of destinations.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Thu May 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:09 pm
I just crossed the Philippines of my list of destinations.
I know that may be an unserious comment, but loved Palawan and wouldn't hesitate to go back and see more of the Philippines, and might even jump on some of that colorful public transit.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu May 10, 2018 7:59 pm

It was in jest. While it isn't high on the list at the moment just because there are so many other places we would probably do first, I wouldn't turn down a chance to go. Maybe if Taco Boy opens up a US style bbq food truck he will pay my way over as a consultant.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Thu May 10, 2018 8:51 pm

I was once asked to open a US BBQ food truck actually, but was too busy at the time with the taco shops. Too bad.

Of course, I showed the public transportation at its worst. As it often is, but not always. Sometimes you jump on a jeepney in the provinces and there's only one or two other people on board and it's a very pleasant way to travel and see the sights.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri May 11, 2018 12:16 pm

EMG,

My offer stands, for a round trip ticket and lodging at a 4* or better hotel, I will be there as a consultant.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks, Steve.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon May 14, 2018 10:37 pm

Show some pics of arrivals and departures of MNL.....also quite a thrill.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue May 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Ugh, yeah. Immigration at NAIA. The happiest place on earth

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue May 15, 2018 3:54 pm

EMG wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:51 pm
Ugh, yeah. Immigration at NAIA. The happiest place on earth

That looks like it's been photo-shopped...in no way does that pic properly show the actual squalor.
Granted all those pics you posted could just have easily been other SEA capitals...Jakarta comes quickly to mind.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!