Canadians.

Point, shoot, leave.
User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62559
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by VinnyD » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:13 pm

DCC, has anything ever struck you as interesting about British track teams? Here are the British women who won the silver medal in the 4x100 relay at the 2017 World Championships:

Image
And here are the Englishmen who won gold in the same event for men:

Image

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15074
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by DCComic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 am

"Some studies have claimed that biological factors may be largely responsible for the disproportionate success in sprinting events enjoyed by athletes of West African descent. Chief among these is a preponderance of natural fast twitch muscle fibers, which aid in quicker reaction times. Scientists have concluded that elite-level sprinting is virtually impossible in the absence of the ACTN3 protein, a "speed gene" most common among persons of West African descent that renders fast twitch muscle fibers fast.[11] Top sprinters of differing ancestry, such as Christophe Lemaitre, are believed to be exceptions in that they too likely have the genes favourable for sprinting.[11]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_sports
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 55732
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Canadians.

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:45 am

That was news about 40 years ago. But thanks.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15074
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by DCComic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:52 am

He asked.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62559
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by VinnyD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:53 am

Basketball players do a lot of sprinting, DCC.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15074
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by DCComic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:31 pm

So do hockey players.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
northern_goddess
Queen Bee
Posts: 52401
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:48 am

Re: Canadians.

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:55 pm

I thought, for basketball players, it was because of the height requirements in order to be any good at the sport.

Frankly, hockey is the mystery to me. Not basketball. And even more of mystery when it comes to Canadian demographics related to SEA and Chinese Canadians. While you do need a few big goons on the ice, you mostly need skaters who are fast.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62559
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by VinnyD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:57 pm

DCComic wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:31 pm
So do hockey players.
Not exactly.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15074
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by DCComic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:00 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:57 pm
DCComic wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:31 pm
So do hockey players.
Not exactly.

Iit looks as if you're saying that there are more black basketball players than hockey players because basketball players sprint more than hockey players.
Is that it?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62559
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by VinnyD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:14 pm

That is part of it. So is height. But probably the biggest differences are that hockey players are much more likely to be Canadian than basketball players, and blacks are a much smaller percentage of the Canadian population than of the Canadian population, that hockey requires an ice rink, not common in the US and especially not common in black neighborhoods, and that hockey is much more expensive in terms of rink/court access and equipment than basketball.

User avatar
Bill Barilko
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15014
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Canadians.

Post by Bill Barilko » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:16 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:55 pm
Frankly, hockey is the mystery to me.....And even more of mystery when it comes to Canadian demographics related to SEA and Chinese Canadians. While you do need a few big goons on the ice, you mostly need skaters who are fast.
If you knew any professional hockey players you'd know they're generally tall, slim & muscular not ' big goons' at all.
Nexus the criminally insane whore/backstabber wrote:You missed the porn site I set up in your name....Shall I send the link to everyone?

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62559
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by VinnyD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:17 pm

And I guess you were saying above that it had struck you that British runners were more likely to be black than British cricket players, but that you had never thought of discussing that fact on the Stew.

Is that it?

Bill, you are agreeing with what NoGs said. She said that a few big goons were necessary but that most hockey players were not like that.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15074
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by DCComic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:12 pm

" I guess you were saying above that it had struck you that British runners were more likely to be black than British cricket players, but that you had never thought of discussing that fact on the Stew."
No, I wasn't saying that. You posted pictures of black British sprinters. I offered you an explanation.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62559
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by VinnyD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:27 pm

OK. It had never struck you that British runners were more likely to be black than British cricketers, but it did strike you that North American basketball players were more likely to be black than North American hockey players. Got it.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15074
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by DCComic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:58 pm

That's not true either.
"I guess you were saying above..."
No, I wasn't.
It had struck me that British sprinters were more likely to be black than British cricketers, but I wasn't saying anything about what I had noticed. I did offer you an explanation. Meanwhile widening the field from 'sprinters' to 'runners' muddies the waters somewhat.
Your thoughts lack accuracy, which surprises me. I had you down as clearer thinking than most of the American posters here.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62559
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by VinnyD » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:11 pm

You don't think that British runners are more likely to be black than British cricketers?

I do.

User avatar
Bill Barilko
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15014
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Canadians.

Post by Bill Barilko » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:18 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:11 pm
You don't think that British runners are more likely to be black than British cricketers?I do.

Nexus the criminally insane whore/backstabber wrote:You missed the porn site I set up in your name....Shall I send the link to everyone?

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15074
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by DCComic » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:33 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:11 pm
You don't think that British runners are more likely to be black than British cricketers?

I do.
Based on a quick google image search I agree with you.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

RainbowFrizz
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1859
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:26 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by RainbowFrizz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 pm

The majority of black Canadians are immigrants or children of immigrants who have arrived in the last 50 years. Hockey wasn't part of their culture. Often times black kids are made fun of by their peers for liking hockey, so they are less likely to get involved in the sport at an early age. Most professional hockey players started skating around the age of 3 and started playing hockey by the age of 6,

The majority of basketball players are American, so you'll have to ask them why most of the players are black.
"Ominous Spiritus" - Gowan

User avatar
truenic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 5673
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by truenic » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:13 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:55 pm
I thought, for basketball players, it was because of the height requirements in order to be any good at the sport.

Frankly, hockey is the mystery to me. Not basketball. And even more of mystery when it comes to Canadian demographics related to SEA and Chinese Canadians. While you do need a few big goons on the ice, you mostly need skaters who are fast.
Like Rainbow said above....those Chinese Canadians who are 2nd ( and beyond) generation do play hockey. But because the recent influx is so new, most haven't adapted yet.
At a rec level, I play against some teams where the majority are Chinese Canadian and my nephew's hockey matches reflect that seen demographic as well. I suspect you'll see a shift in about 10 years time.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 54473
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by eric84 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Yes, the profile of hockey players today is changing. More emphasis on speed and skill, less on body contact and size. It should be said, too, that hockey is a very expensive game, getting more and more expensive with every year so that shuts out a lot of potential players. Basketball is still primarily played through school and has fewer equipment requirements. Having prominent players like PK Subban and Seth Jones though will help with hockey recruitment.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

EMG
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24369
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by EMG » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:47 pm

This is the worst Travel Journalism thread ever.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 70039
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:59 am

EMG wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:47 pm
This is the worst Travel Journalism thread ever.
X2

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15074
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by DCComic » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:11 am

Haters.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by Total Reject » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:15 pm

There are many flaws in this post. I was in Whistler skiing a couple weeks before this was posted. There are no Canadians there, only Australians.

User avatar
truenic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 5673
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by truenic » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Total Reject wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:15 pm
There are many flaws in this post. I was in Whistler skiing a couple weeks before this was posted. There are no Canadians there, only Australians.
Truth!

User avatar
northern_goddess
Queen Bee
Posts: 52401
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:48 am

Re: Canadians.

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Are you saying that the Scottish all left?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10875
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:39 am

Re: Canadians.

Post by sodelicious » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:44 am

Total Reject wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:15 pm
There are many flaws in this post. I was in Whistler skiing a couple weeks before this was posted. There are no Canadians there, only Australians.
TR, you should have let me know you were here, I'd have bought you a drink.
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9083
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:15 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by misanthrope » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:58 am

I can honestly never see myself going to Canada again. Or Ireland.

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 29955
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Canadians.

Post by GLimpet » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:18 pm

I had a waiter from NYC in a Perth bar last week.

He said everyone thinks he's Canadian because of the WHV thing.

Pleasant young fellow.

Or was that just while I thought he was Canadian?

    misanthrope
    Stew Ingredient
    Posts: 9083
    Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:15 pm

    Re: Canadians.

    Post by misanthrope » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:24 am

    Everyone that I come into contact within the Australian lacrosse community thinks I am Canadian.

    Post Reply