Turkey, August 2014

Point, shoot, leave.
Kape
Stew Ingredient

Turkey, August 2014

Post by Kape » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Just got back home today. Here a couple of pics from Marmaris, Turkey, and surrounding areas.

Beautiful, beautiful Loggerhead sea turtle (Caretta caretta) that I saw where the river Dalyan meets the Mediterranean sea. Beautiful animals!

River Dalyan

Lycian rock cut tombs as seen from river Dalyan

Içmeler, a short dolmuş ride away from Marmaris (2.5 TRY = 0.88 EUR)

A day at the sea, just out of Marmaris

Village of Turunç, another boat trip day... a short stop in they village.

A day boating on the Gulf of Gökova (Ceramic Gulf), "Cleopatra island"

Boating day on the Gulf of Gökova

Eucalyptus road between Muğla - Marmaris. The trees were planted in 1936 to dry marshlands and help combat malaria in the region.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Re: Turkey, August 2014

Post by northern_goddess » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:42 pm

Great pictures, Kape. How long were you there for and how did you like it? How were the prices (is it a pretty cheap destination)?

It's on my list of places to get to.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:50 pm

northern_goddess wrote:Great pictures, Kape. How long were you there for and how did you like it? How were the prices (is it a pretty cheap destination)?

It's on my list of places to get to.

n_g, it was very nice, although I must day I preferred Bodrum (where I was in Aug 2013) to Marmaris. This time I had more of just relaxing... at my hotel's pool area and 3 days cruising on boats in the Mediterranean Sea, Aegean Sean and River Dalyan... just because it was so hot that it was great being out on the sea where there was at least a little breeze.

I had two weeks there.

Re: prices, cheaper than at home but e.g. eating out a lot more expensive than e.g. in Tunisia where I was in April. I never ate in the Marmaris harbor / marina area which is very posh and probably even more expensive than eating out in Finland. Found some nice places to eat, though, when I walked a couple of blocks "inland" from the main street / beach boulevard.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Boat trips sound great for when you just want to relax. I love being on the water and that's part of why I like living here (walking distance to the beach). Thanks for the info.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:10 pm

n_g, yeah, I think I had a great holiday and a wonderful trip... "value for the money" kinda trip. 389€ for two weeks, including flights (3.5 hours one way) and accommodation at a 4-star hotel (local rating).

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Very cool to see that turtle. And I love the tombs.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:24 pm

Very nice!
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:42 am

beautiful pics, kapey. thanks for sharing.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:00 am

We're 12 minutes from Oludeniz beach. Can you get any closer to those Lycian tomb thingies? Any recommendations for eats, I think we're pretty near Marmaris.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:22 am

Barbarella wrote:We're 12 minutes from Oludeniz beach. Can you get any closer to those Lycian tomb thingies? Any recommendations for eats, I think we're pretty near Marmaris.

Yeah, Öludeniz isn't too far away. I took my pics of the Lycian tombs from the river boat, but I did see some people climbing close to them.

On this map Öludeniz is on the right, Marmaris on the left and Dalyan (where the Lycian tombs are) about in the middle. If I remember right, the bus ride Marmaris - Dalyan was about 1 - 1.5 hours, so not bad at all.

Eat Turkish food! My favorite on this trip was a ciğ köfte as a meze and then ciğer şiş as the main dish.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:58 pm

love that part of the world. i was in dalyan ( dalyan resort to be exact) just couple of weeks before you.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:49 pm

veronica_inheels wrote:love that part of the world. i was in dalyan ( dalyan resort to be exact) just couple of weeks before you.

Ha, cool.

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:01 pm

The area has my favorite hotel;

http://www.hillsidebeachclub.com/

It is in a secluded bay outside Fethiye. I spend a week there every year around mid - september but not this year unfortunately.
One can’t go to pieces at the death of every foreigner. We’d all be in a constant state of collapse whenever we opened a newspaper.”Maggie Smith(Downton Abbey)

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Very nice, GTI!

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:03 am

Nice!!!
I loved the Dalyan area, I stayed in a local hotel on the river
You could cross the river to see some ruins on the other side
The boatman was this ancient Turk who was amazingly strong
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:42 pm

judik wrote:Nice!!!
I loved the Dalyan area, I stayed in a local hotel on the river
You could cross the river to see some ruins on the other side
The boatman was this ancient Turk who was amazingly strong

Yeah, I saw some people climbing the rocks there. We stayed on the boat... still, nice views.

RandomThoughts
Stew Ingredient

Post by RandomThoughts » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:31 am

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed seeing the pics.
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:41 am

Kape wrote:
Barbarella wrote:We're 12 minutes from Oludeniz beach. Can you get any closer to those Lycian tomb thingies? Any recommendations for eats, I think we're pretty near Marmaris.

Yeah, Öludeniz isn't too far away. I took my pics of the Lycian tombs from the river boat, but I did see some people climbing close to them.

On this map Öludeniz is on the right, Marmaris on the left and Dalyan (where the Lycian tombs are) about in the middle. If I remember right, the bus ride Marmaris - Dalyan was about 1 - 1.5 hours, so not bad at all.

Eat Turkish food! My favorite on this trip was a ciğ köfte as a meze and then ciğer şiş as the main dish.

I am pozo I went back here and couldnt see my post and was all 'baaahhh' so then I'm like "must go back and repost" and whaddya know? You replied! Thank you kindly sir! How do you pronounce this?: ciğer şiş

D'ya know anything about over the counter drugs you can get there you cant get here? Like anything trippy? Valium etc? Cos I just found out that their lira ( Euro equiv of: .35c) fits into our cig machines as a €2 coin!!!!!!!!! **froths at gash**

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:24 am

you can get all antibiotics in Turkey easily and most antidepressants are also over the counter.
One can’t go to pieces at the death of every foreigner. We’d all be in a constant state of collapse whenever we opened a newspaper.”Maggie Smith(Downton Abbey)

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:29 pm

How does one 'feign' depression to a pharmacist? Hold my temples and cry?

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:49 pm

ask for '' anti depresan '' He/She will understand what you mean .
Also ask for the brand name,they may recognize it, if not tell them about the main ingredient of the medicine.The names of the ingredients are always universal.Maybe due to copyright laws the medicine you are asking is being marketed under a different name in Turkey.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Thank you kindly sir.

Also, for your profile pic X

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:12 pm

RandomThoughts wrote:Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed seeing the pics.

Glad to hear that!

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Barbarella wrote:
Kape wrote:
Barbarella wrote:Eat Turkish food! My favorite on this trip was a ciğ köfte as a meze and then ciğer şiş as the main dish.

I am pozo I went back here and couldnt see my post and was all 'baaahhh' so then I'm like "must go back and repost" and whaddya know? You replied! Thank you kindly sir! How do you pronounce this?: ciğer şiş

It's pronounced something like "gee-er shish" in English. Gay Turk Izmir can correct me if I got it wrong :)

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:08 pm

correct.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:12 pm

GayTurk_Izmir wrote:correct.

Thanks for the confirmation, GTI :)

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:36 am

i stocked up on meds in turkey. :)
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:30 am

Soft gee (ı.e. jee) in ciğer.

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:03 pm

veronica_inheels wrote:i stocked up on meds in turkey. :)

What did you buy ? I hope you bought some Aspirin.Turkish Aspirins are stronger than the ones you can buy in the UK and USA.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:51 pm

pain killers!
and a yeast infection meds - just in case i need it, it was $2 and it costs 20 here.
it was fun explaining it to a turkish guy. it was a small pharmacy in a small village Goreme, my last stop before going home. :lol:
first he gave me something for UTI. but he got it in the end.

quailia
Stew Ingredient

Post by quailia » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:43 am

I was there roughly the same time you were - sailing in the same area. Here's a photo from Knidos (which is at the end of the Datca peninsula to the left of the map Kape posted)

Loved it - had some really magic days. Want to go back.
Yes, well, it's called the future, so get used to it.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:42 pm

So had great hols. Never found a pharmacist. Oddly they are few and far between whereas there are roughly three barbers on every road. I was EATEN ALIVE by mozzies and have since scratched my legs to shit. I'm not used to mozzie bites, we were destroyed. Apart from that its cheap, the people are lovely, we got upgraded from a twin room to a villa!!!! for free!!! And had the villa pool practically to ourselves everyday, was lush. Had the most beautiful mojito ever in our hotel bar. Did 12 islands tour, swam off shore of 4 of them, quite pissed (went all inclusive). Fethiye market bought tons of lovely spice mixes, been having fun cookin em up. Got a beautiful glass lantern, my mate bought me a sparkly bracelet for my bday, went to the Lycean tombs and had a clay pot stew and a free belly dance. Wather perfect, 28 during the day, hot but not sticky and cooler at night. AND got a nice little tan. I'd defo go back. Even got used to the call to prayer 5 times a day (we were right by a loudspeaker minaret) though NEVER the 5.45am one. PIssed off it was a recording too. So you can just wake us up with your pre-recorded shrieking but you're probably still asleep yourself.........gggrrrrrr........

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Most excellent stuff kape, thanks......
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:49 pm

quailia wrote:I was there roughly the same time you were - sailing in the same area. Here's a photo from Knidos (which is at the end of the Datca peninsula to the left of the map Kape posted)

Loved it - had some really magic days. Want to go back.

Cool! I thought about visiting Datça, but never got that "far". Looks great, thanks for the picture!

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Barbarella wrote:So had great hols. Never found a pharmacist. Oddly they are few and far between whereas there are roughly three barbers on every road. I was EATEN ALIVE by mozzies and have since scratched my legs to shit. I'm not used to mozzie bites, we were destroyed. Apart from that its cheap, the people are lovely, we got upgraded from a twin room to a villa!!!! for free!!! And had the villa pool practically to ourselves everyday, was lush. Had the most beautiful mojito ever in our hotel bar. Did 12 islands tour, swam off shore of 4 of them, quite pissed (went all inclusive). Fethiye market bought tons of lovely spice mixes, been having fun cookin em up. Got a beautiful glass lantern, my mate bought me a sparkly bracelet for my bday, went to the Lycean tombs and had a clay pot stew and a free belly dance. Wather perfect, 28 during the day, hot but not sticky and cooler at night. AND got a nice little tan. I'd defo go back. Even got used to the call to prayer 5 times a day (we were right by a loudspeaker minaret) though NEVER the 5.45am one. PIssed off it was a recording too. So you can just wake us up with your pre-recorded shrieking but you're probably still asleep yourself.........gggrrrrrr........

Really?? I thought they were everywhere! They're called Eczane in Turkish.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Agent009 wrote:Most excellent stuff kape, thanks......

Thanks! Glad you liked them.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Especially the tombs, which made me gooogle........
http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient- ... mbs-001756
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycia

And im a total sucker for treee lined roads.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:02 pm

Agent, yeah, I googled for the tombs and Lycians after my trip. Amazing stuff.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:34 am

Yeah I never saw any, and trust me we looked. Coping with a hangover in that heat without some form of painkiller was pretty bloody traumatic.

We were directly across from the tomb of Amyntas in a restaurant. First course, then up the steps for a look, then back for the main (the clay pot beef stew mentioned). Thought we'd get a tour guide but no so thanks for that link always nice to know what one is looking at. Also, it was pretty heavily graffiti-ed inside which is a shame. But still brill to look at, as we were coming down the call to prayer started, so I got a snippet on film. Trez atmospheric.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Barbarella wrote:Yeah I never saw any, and trust me we looked. Coping with a hangover in that heat without some form of painkiller was pretty bloody traumatic.

We were directly across from the tomb of Amyntas in a restaurant. First course, then up the steps for a look, then back for the main (the clay pot beef stew mentioned). Thought we'd get a tour guide but no so thanks for that link always nice to know what one is looking at. Also, it was pretty heavily graffiti-ed inside which is a shame. But still brill to look at, as we were coming down the call to prayer started, so I got a snippet on film. Trez atmospheric.

Sounds great, Barbarella! When were you at the tombs? Date and time... I'd just like to see how close we were meeting each other by chance :)

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:10 am

Was at the tombs on 25th September.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Barbarella wrote:Was at the tombs on 25th September.

Ah, ok... so I missed you by a couple of weeks. I left Turkey and the area around September 1st I think.

Barbarella
Stew Ingredient

Post by Barbarella » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:11 am

Devo, we could have had our very own Brief Encounter moment xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo........

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Yes :) xoxoxo

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:57 pm

VinnyD wrote:Soft gee (ı.e. jee) in ciğer.

Ha, VinnyD, you're quite cool. I hadn't noticed your "ı.e." before. I love simple humour like that, when I notice it.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Hmm, wondering if I should go back to Turkey this summer. Prices are down due to the coup attempt.

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:56 pm

this thread of mine has over 6000 views... WHY??

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:39 pm

WTF, over 7000 views now. Why? Is someone trying to play with my mind?

Kape
Stew Ingredient

Post by Kape » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:59 pm

Seriously: why does this thread get so many views? Has someone posted a link to this thread on another board that gets a lot more traffic than PS or what's going on here?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:10 am

It's because you keep looking at it, Kape.