Romblon, Philippines

Point, shoot, leave.
EMG
Stew Ingredient

Romblon, Philippines

Post by EMG » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:18 pm

I rarely drop photos of my travels here anymore, but Romblon Philippines was a special place. Located in the Visayas region near quite a few tourist hotspots, it's a fantastic small chain of islands that we found nearly deserted by tourists. It just hasn't gained the traction it deserves, yet.

The first night we found a nice beach front resort just 30 minutes or so from the airport. We were one of two occupied rooms in this resort of 20+ rooms. It was completely empty.

The following day we paid a local fisherman to take us a few islands over to another resort we'd booked online. We were the only guests staying in this 8 bedroom resort, which in any other part of the world would have been considered 4 stars.

The whole weekend went like that, deserted beach after deserted beach of unimaginable attraction.

Here are some photos of the weekend I spent there:

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: Romblon, Philippines

Post by Lincoln » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:47 pm

Very nice!...what were you paying per night for a room there?....also,why do you think it was empty?...is it close to the part of Philippines that has lots of jihadists?

Bill Barilko
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bill Barilko » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:04 am

salamat po!
"The sea once it casts its net holds one in its soul forever."
J Cousteau

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:08 am

Lincoln wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:47 pm
Very nice!...what were you paying per night for a room there?....also,why do you think it was empty?...is it close to the part of Philippines that has lots of jihadists?
The resort located in the first photo cost me about $30 for a night. The one from the 3rd, 4th, 5th photos was around $70 per night, which included a free 3 course dinner

There are of course options in the $10-$20 range as well

Visayas isn’t a heavily terrorist area, it’s a combination of going during rainy season when tourism is extra low, and going to islands that are not really developed for tourism.

There are 7,100 islands in the Philippines, few international tourists visit the country compared to order countries like Thailand, and most tourists just go to the same 10ish destinations. There are hundreds of options with little to no crowds

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:09 am

Bill Barilko wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:04 am
salamat po!
Walang anuman

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Great pictures. I'm enjoying seeing them again. Was there wifi in the room? or at least in the common areas?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:28 pm

EMG wrote:I rarely drop photos of my travels here anymore, but Romblon Philippines was a special place. Located in the Visayas region near quite a few tourist hotspots, it's a fantastic small chain of islands that we found nearly deserted by tourists. It just hasn't gained the traction it deserves, yet.

The first night we found a nice beach front resort just 30 minutes or so from the airport. We were one of two occupied rooms in this resort of 20+ rooms. It was completely empty.

The following day we paid a local fisherman to take us a few islands over to another resort we'd booked online. We were the only guests staying in this 8 bedroom resort, which in any other part of the world would have been considered 4 stars.

The whole weekend went like that, deserted beach after deserted beach of unimaginable attraction.

Here are some photos of the weekend I spent there:

That looks spectactular. Adding to list for April's trip.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Oh and what are the connections in and out like?
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:06 pm

mad hatter wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:29 pm
So you can fly into Tablas island and then take tricycles and boats around, but it does cost a bit (like $20 for long rides) because there’s little tourism and demand

You can also take a ferry there from the Boracay area which is said to take 2-3 hours and docks directly in Romblon island

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:09 pm

EMG wrote:
mad hatter wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:29 pm
So you can fly into Tablas island and then take tricycles and boats around, but it does cost a bit (like $20 for long rides) because there’s little tourism and demand

You can also take a ferry there from the Boracay area which is said to take 2-3 hours and docks directly in Romblon island
Tnx

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:55 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:10 pm
Great pictures. I'm enjoying seeing them again. Was there wifi in the room? or at least in the common areas?
The second resort had WiFi. The first did not but data was working there. Data here costs about $1 per day

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:40 am

Ok, Im sold.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:10 am

Let me know when you’re visiting!

I have a few more trips planned for January and on to more locations like this. Non tourist island chains. In my 8 years here I’ve done all the popular ones and more. So changing gears a little

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:11 am

Jesus, that looks fabulous. I really do need to get to the Philippines...
Hairy wrote:spotting a utter tosspot is as easy as looking in the mirror
Oneball wrote:Well shove the warning up your arse. I won't be coming back.
Annotated wrote:By the end of Trump's first term in office, Rocket Man will have rockets no more ... one way or the other. Guaranteed.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:40 am

You should! It’s cheap to travel around the country in the budget airlines and there are a lot of other countries a few hours away by plane as well

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:04 am

EMG wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:10 am
Can I come and babysit your little one while y’all will be having fun at the beach? Seriously.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:11 am

rezuar wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:04 am
EMG wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:10 am
Can I come and babysit your little one while y’all will be having fun at the beach? Seriously.
Hard offer to say no to! But you’ll have to remind me in like a year or two

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:09 am

Beautiful scenery
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:29 pm

It was. And scenery like that is pretty typical around the country, but finding it without groups of tourists takes a little more exploring.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Cool. I spent lots of time researching the Visayas and don't remember reading anything about Romblon. I think the popularity of Thailand keeps some great Philippines destinations off the radar. Will have to go back sometime.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:22 pm

Total Reject wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:06 pm
Cool. I spent lots of time researching the Visayas and don't remember reading anything about Romblon. I think the popularity of Thailand keeps some great Philippines destinations off the radar. Will have to go back sometime.
Yep. Sounds about right. According to the internet Thailand gets 35 million tourists per year. The Philippines gets about 8 million.

The latest craze in the Philippines is Siargao. It was a mostly unvisited island until a few years ago and has now become 'the spot to go'. I'm thinking this will happen eventually to Romblon, it just hasn't yet. I will definitely visit again. Probably some time next year.

Next up for me is Dumaguete. I have a feeling it will be similar.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:45 pm

My mate who lives in PI rates Dumaguete

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:59 pm

I think Siargao has always been a little bit of a destination simply because it's one of the few good surf beaches in Philippines. Probably the proximity to Mindanao and head chopping extremists has kept the masses at bay. Same for the other surrounding islands that look amazing - see Camiguin.

A friend recommended Siasi, Jolo, and Lugus at the far southwest chain of the Mindanao islands. Looks amazing but possibly sketchy.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:08 am

mad hatter wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:45 pm
My mate who lives in PI rates Dumaguete
Should be good. I’m mostly going to do some diving but I’m sure the beaches will be nice too

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:11 am

Total Reject wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:59 pm
I think Siargao has always been a little bit of a destination simply because it's one of the few good surf beaches in Philippines. Probably the proximity to Mindanao and head chopping extremists has kept the masses at bay. Same for the other surrounding islands that look amazing - see Camiguin.

A friend recommended Siasi, Jolo, and Lugus at the far southwest chain of the Mindanao islands. Looks amazing but possibly sketchy.
Yeah surfing spots are few and far between. I went to Dahican in Mati last year but that whole area is fairly sketchy. You notice when the military stops your transportation and asks everyone for IDs every few hours. Otherwise all I know of is La Union really

I’ve only been to 3 or 4 parts of Mindanao. Always nice but always a little worrying

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:29 am

Dumaguete is great diving. We didn't dive directly there, though nearby, but our friends who organize dive trips professionally went there twice. And they don't usually go back to places.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:33 am

Thanks! Looking forward to it

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:41 am

I'm sold, you'll get a visit from me and the missus next year.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:13 am

See ya!