A tiny bit of Morocco

Point, shoot, leave.
Klara
Stew Ingredient

A tiny bit of Morocco

Post by Klara » Sat May 11, 2019 11:38 am

Heeeeeey it's been a while! I thought I'd post a few pics from my little birthday trip to Morocco this winter. It was a holiday more than an actual trip, really, since I stayed on the coast most of the time. Still very pretty, though.

Arriving in Marrakech in the middle of the night was a bit of an adventure, but it all looked more normal in the morning. The colours, the light, the buzz of the medina - it was exactly what I imagined Morocco to be like. This was not close to the famous sqaure, though, so it was relatively peaceful for Marrakech standards.

The next day I went to the coast but stopped to see goats in argan trees on the way.

Many of you have been to Essaouira, but for the rest of you: It's a hippy town on the Atlantic coast. I expected to love it and I absolutely did. It's very relaxed, quite a few Europeans in Birkenstocks around, you absolutely never get harrassed, and there's LOADS of great food everywhere.

The fish market.

One afternoon there was this very weird thick fog comming in from the Atlantic. I loved it.

The souq in Essaouira is definitely not the most typical Moroccan souq. Not because of the stuff they sell, but because everyone leaves you alone and no one is willing to haggle. I tried to get a better price on a baech towel, and the guy laughed and said 'yeah this is not Marrakech'

I took loads of pictures of cats, mostly because they're everywhere. They all look very well fed, and I often saw locals giving them food.

Tourist.

I spent a lot of time at the fish market. It's such a lively vibrant place.

Gluten free etc.

More beach football, this time without the fog.

Food was great in general.
That's Fabio's freshly waxed leg in the background.

Loads of seafood dishes, like the sardine balls tajine.
Good wine is often avaliable, though not always.

More vegetarian stuff.
I asked for a glass of wine here, but the super friendly guy smiled and said 'oh no no, madam, I'll bring you some mint tea.' So mint tea it was.
Also, I've never had black olives as good as the ones I had in Morocco. I had them with more or less every meal and they were always, without fail, amazing.

This was a village not far from Essaouira. A huge completely empty beach, except for a couple of surfers in the distance and the old German dude who took this picture.

This is the town beach in Eassouira. It's huge and no one cares if you're wearing a bikini. Pretty windy, though.

And back to Marrakech.This was our street.

Still our fairly quiet hood, although it was just a short walk away from the main souq area.
I'm not a big fan of Marrakech, to be honest. It's a fascinating city, but people in the touristy parts are annoying. It's quite a shock if you've just been to the coast.

Our tiny riad was lovely, though. This was one of the prettiest rooms I've ever stayed in.
We also had one of those surprise dinners here. I'd emailed the owner and asked him to cook us something when we arrive and he cooked us a proper feast. I didn't have the chicken tajine (Fabio said it was delicious), but the rest was amazing.

Most riads have roof top terraces like this one. I kept my clothes on this time, but I still have tan lines from the terrace on the coast. It was never hot, what with all the wind, but I came home several shades darker than I left. Which isn't great if it's early March, as I really didn't appreciate the attention I got.

All in all it was a great little holiday. Fabio got sick so I was doing stuff on my own half of the time when we were on the coast, and I experienced absolutely no harassment at all. People were terribly friendly and helpful and I think of Essaouira as my little happy chill out place now.
I don't know if this had anything to do with the terrorist attack not long before my trip, but there was police all over the place. Everyone sticks to speed limits, because there's not chance you'll get away with it if you don't. I quite liked that.
Morocco is just a cheap 3 or 4 hour flight away, so I can definitely see myself going back many times in the future.
I'm even willing to give Marrakech another go, but I'll stay away from the medina and explore the new parts next time, I think.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Re: A tiny bit of Morocco

Post by DCComic » Sat May 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Great set of pictures. We loved Essaouira too.

פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally - It would be delightful to cl yo a cunt to your face.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat May 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Wow, more great pics and a great report. Really wish I was doing something like this right now. Sorry Fabio got sick, hope it didn't mess things up too badly and that he's since recovered.
Hairy wrote:spotting a utter tosspot is as easy as looking in the mirror
Oneball wrote:Well shove the warning up your arse. I won't be coming back.
Annotated wrote:By the end of Trump's first term in office, Rocket Man will have rockets no more ... one way or the other. Guaranteed.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat May 11, 2019 9:12 pm

Thanks.

I like how Moroccans name their boats using English letters.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat May 11, 2019 9:23 pm

They are probably French letters in their minds. Not long ago, more Moroccans were literate in French than in Arabic, although I believe that has changed in recent years.

Fourth picture from the bottom, spice shop in Marrakech. What is the hook-shaped object on the wall next to the crank for the awning?

Great pictures, and good to see you back, Klara.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Nice trip. I missed he coast on my trip to Morocco
DCComic's wish for 2019: 1 canister 1 Jew

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Sun May 12, 2019 1:00 am

Great photos!
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Sun May 12, 2019 4:35 am

Thanks, I'm glag you all like the pictures.

Vinny, that's a good question. I have no idea what that is.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Sun May 12, 2019 4:44 am

I forgot to post this one.
Fabio's luggage versus my luggage

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sun May 12, 2019 4:52 am

welcome back!

great trip report
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon May 13, 2019 5:06 am

I've always wanted to go to Morocco. Unfortunately, it's not high on Mr_S's list, but if he ever does go for it at least we'll know to go to Essaouira.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Nice pics and welcome back!
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Mon May 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Thanks, Homer. It's good to be back.
Scrubb wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:06 am
I've always wanted to go to Morocco. Unfortunately, it's not high on Mr_S's list, but if he ever does go for it at least we'll know to go to Essaouira.
It was never high on my ex's list either, as far as I can remember, but then he went there with his girlfriend. I was not amused.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 pm

Klara wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:44 am
I forgot to post this one.
Fabio's luggage versus my luggage
Heh!

I was in Essaouira perhaps 12 years ago, and loved it, so it’s great to see these photos and read your story - thanks for sharing.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Wed May 15, 2019 11:36 am

Nice pics Klara.

Makes me want to go back to Morocco again.
"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Thu May 16, 2019 1:31 pm

I want to stay at that pretty little riad.

Gorgeous photos all, though.
Pass the wine...

Lulu
Pain in the ass

Post by Lulu » Sat May 18, 2019 5:03 am

Beautiful report Klara. I just bumped the morbid Morocco thread in Streeterville for travel advice, more eyeballs there. Still trying to work out my itinerary for 8 days, really want to see Essaouira but don't know if that's logical if flying in/out of Casablanca and wanting to see Tangier and Chefchaouen too.

The luggage photo is too funny!
I was lost and measure for measure
Love spewed from the heart of me

RandomThoughts
Stew Ingredient

Post by RandomThoughts » Sun May 19, 2019 5:22 pm

I enjoyed your photos/story.
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient

Post by Mike Hunt » Mon May 20, 2019 8:05 pm

Nice pics, Klara.
Please revert to us in case of any query related to the RFP

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Mon May 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Lovely set of pictures . Love the men resting in the boat (well, loved them all-- especially this one)

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:14 pm

Nice, Klara! Brought back memories of Essouaira. I wish it was a cheap flight away from me.

In my (very limited) experience the Berbers speak impeccable French. Don't know what that's about.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:35 am

Most of them seem to speak decent French, but since I don't speak it myself it didn't make much of a difference.

I've already bought the ticket for next winter. Flying to Fez this time.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:05 am

Great report with great pics, Klara!

Just one thing about Fez... if you found people in M’s medina annoying, brace yourself. Fez was absolutely the worst place when I was there. Shudder.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 am

I've heard about that, Rez. The plan is to stay in Meknes, which is supposed to be a very cool place, and maybe visit Fez for a day - if I'm in the mood. Maybe even with a guide? That might be a good way to buy myself some peace.

rezuar
Stew Ingredient

Post by rezuar » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Klara wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 am
I've heard about that, Rez. The plan is to stay in Meknes, which is supposed to be a very cool place, and maybe visit Fez for a day - if I'm in the mood. Maybe even with a guide? That might be a good way to buy myself some peace.
Yup, if you have a local guide you’re generally untouchable. Have you considered going to the Sahara dunes? It’s a long way to the south but a night in Merzouga is an unforgettable experience.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Hmmm. Klara's photos have sparked some interest in Mr_S, and he's looking at how we could combine Essouria with going diving in the Canary Islands...
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:07 am

Morocco was the first country to recognize the existence of the USA. They did it in 1777, or at least their king did.

They are also the recipients of our oldest unbroken peace treaty.

Morocco is visa-free for Amerikkkans. Australia needs to work on their manners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morocco%E ... _relations
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD