Trip to Tanzania and Zanzibar

Point, shoot, leave.
Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:46 pm

OK, tickets are booked. I am going. Haven't been to Africa for over 20 years and haven't been to Istanbul, Kenya, and Tanzania for about 30 years!! Swahili is coming back pretty fast!

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:55 am

Fantastic pics! We’re going there next year.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Re: Trip to Tanzania and Zanzibar

Post by coffeeguy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:10 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:20 am
Coffeeguy, did you happen to go to Lake Eyasi to visit the Hadzi people there? Or did you talk to the guys at your safari company about it? I'm wondering what that experience is like.
Hi Steve, no we didn't do that, we could have added it to our itinerary, but skipped it. I'm not really into 'cultural experiences' set up for tourists - I find them uncomfortable, contrived for tourists, I feel sort of like i'm seeing animals in a zoo. I like knowing how different people live, just not stuff organized for tourists - prefer to wander around local markets, talk to locals etc. Just a personal view - I know these sort of tours help locals by bringing n tourisim $ and can be very interesting, but just not my thing. That said, we met another family who spent a day with the Hadzi and they really enjoyed it. The were taken out into the bush with them, hunted some small game and cooked it with them over a small bush fire, drank the local honey booze.

Enjoy your trip!

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:04 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:10 pm
Hi Steve, no we didn't do that, we could have added it to our itinerary, but skipped it. I'm not really into 'cultural experiences' set up for tourists - I find them uncomfortable, contrived for tourists, I feel sort of like i'm seeing animals in a zoo. I like knowing how different people live, just not stuff organized for tourists - prefer to wander around local markets, talk to locals etc. Just a personal view
I agree with that 100% and that's exactly why I was asking. If it is just some contrived thing for tourists, I'd rather just skip it.

Nines
Regular Guy

Post by Nines » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:40 pm

Beautiful photos, coffeeguy. Thanks for sharing them.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:56 pm

I was doing a little research to see about taking a rental car to Zanzibar on the ferry. Looks like a lot of fun, especially in a rental car...

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:05 pm

Great photos. Makes me nostalgic for our trip to Namibia.

Seeing that picture of the lion and it's prey give a whole new meaning to "tearing someone a new asshole".
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Coffee, who did you rent the car with in Zanzibar? How was it?

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:41 pm
Coffee, who did you rent the car with in Zanzibar? How was it?
Hi Steve,

I used Zanzibar Express Car Hire. Local company. They were great. Oldish but in good condition Toyota SUV, delivered right to my door at the hotel. Had a little issue finding their office to drop it off, they told me just drive to airport and leave it there and they’d come to pick it up. Zanzibar does require you to get a local drivers license but the car company can get it for you. Think it was $10 but might have been$20. I’m sure you know they drive on the left side of road in tanzania

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Another one inspired by this post. I'm so looking in to this. Thanks, coffee! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I look.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks Coffee. I'll check them out. I'm totally following in your footsteps on this trip!
snowgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:34 pm
I'm so looking in to this
$950 San Francisco to Nairobi round trip with a three day stop in Istanbul? That's insane.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:00 pm

That wasn't me, unfortunately, Steve. I'm in Toronto and all I'm seeing are flights with 2 stopovers and 2 extra days of travel. NOT what I was hoping for.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:32 am

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:52 pm
Thanks Coffee. I'll check them out. I'm totally following in your footsteps on this trip!
snowgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:34 pm
I'm so looking in to this
$950 San Francisco to Nairobi round trip with a three day stop in Istanbul? That's insane.
Enjoy!

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:34 am

snowgirl wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:00 pm
That wasn't me, unfortunately, Steve. I'm in Toronto and all I'm seeing are flights with 2 stopovers and 2 extra days of travel. NOT what I was hoping for.
Try Turkish air, they were the cheapest for us by far. When are you looking to go, snowgirl? We booked early Jan for early July flight

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:47 am

I was thinking June? But I'm just starting to look in to this. Will it still be mosquito-y in June? Late June?

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:58 am

Mosquitoes up north in the night, but not existent by day. Nothing in zanzibar to my recollection. We still look malaria pills to be safe

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:19 pm

Coffee’s wildlife pics are better than mine but I did see a bunch of cheetah which I had never seen before
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:22 pm

From Zanzibar
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:00 pm

Zanzibar has the most astonishingly coloured sea. It's my abiding memory of the place. Just electric.
Pass the wine...

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:48 am

That's a great shot, Steve. Timeless except for the outboards.

Are those floating hippo turds in the hippo shot?
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:37 am

Yes, they literally wallow in their own shit.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Cracking pics and report Steve...really great.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks, Lincs. Was definitely interesting to be back in Africa again after such a long time. It's changed less than I expected.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:14 pm

great photos Steve, hope you enjoyed your trip!

RandomThoughts
Stew Ingredient

Post by RandomThoughts » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:00 am

Great photos - I'd love to go to Africa, but I doubt I'll ever get Mr. Random to go.
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:39 am

coffeeguy wrote:
Few into Arusha on Turkish Air (18 hours from TO). We booked a 9 day 'mid-range' safari of the major Northern parks through a local company - Benson Safaris, who were fantastic. They designed a 'custom' itinerary for us. We had a private driver exclusively for our family. Guide was extremely knowledgable and friendly, especially to our kids.

Arusha was no great shakes, but interesting enough to walk/drive around. Got ripped off at the local Maassai craft market, typical hard sell at every booth with 100 vendors selling to a handful of tourists.

Headed out next day to Tarangire national park - which was incredible. Animals everywhere. Not too crowded. Stayed at a great tenet camp lodge with a swimming pool and terrace overlooking the plains - amazing to see the animals moving in to graze and bed down while you have a drink as the sun goes down. Took a night safari which was interesting but didn't live up to the hype - of course the animals you see are the nocturnal ones - porcupines, deer, etc.

Then headed down the great Rift Valley to Lake Natron, a huge soda shallow lake home to millions of flamingos. Very rugged roads, some over volcanic flows (would never have made it on my own). Beautiful scenery.

Two full days in the Serengetti, saw herds of Elephants, lions, giraffe, zebra, hippos, wildebeest leopards, and other animal, so numerous, that after a while it becomes just common place. Again stayed in a fantastic tented camp lodge, booze all inclusive, with an infinity pool that you could sit in and watch the animals down below wander by.

Then off to the Ngorongoro Crater for beautiful scenery and wildlife, including a black rhino and a lion with a fresh kill.

Last day was at Lake Manyara where there are supposedly lions that prefer trees - we didn't see any, it was a more forested environment that the other parks. If I had to skip one part of the safari it would have been this.

Overall the safari was amazing - trip of a lifetime. Lodges were fantastic, food good, people friendly, felt very safe, roads to the parks were well maintained.

Overall would highly recommend Tanzania, fantastic country, people extremely friendly, great overall value for money, although the safari wasn't cheap.
We’ve decided to go with that company too. It looks amazing.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:18 pm

Awesome, glad you are going. I really loved my trip to Tanzania.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Bastet, Have a great trip. Hope you enjoy!