Critter Cam Travels

Point, shoot, leave.
leela
Stew Ingredient

Re: Critter Cam Travels

Post by leela » Sat May 09, 2015 10:38 am

Great to see some new ones, t_r. I was pleased to see this thread at the top again..
Pass the wine...

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Sun May 24, 2015 1:52 am

After years of abuse for avidly pursuing my crypto-zoological interests I can now stand proud and smugly discredit the naysayers with this clear photographic evidence that the Chupacabra exists.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Sun May 31, 2015 4:04 pm

Oh poor animal. It looks like it has mange?

Fun pics, apart from the last one.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:31 pm

I noticed some mouse turds in the basement, so I set a mouse trap. I let it sit overnight and the next morning, the bait was gone and the trap had not sprung. I set it again, same thing happened. This has happened before and I've watched a mouse carefully crawl up beside it and remove the bait without setting the trap.

So I surrounded the trap on 3 sides with boxes, then set-up my game camera.

The little bastard was coming and going as if I laid it out on a silver platter. It wasn't sensitive enough, his weight wouldn't trip it. He was going to town on whatever bait I put out for him. Look at this one, he's crawled up there without a care in the world.

Instead of just changing to a new trap, I decided to go to the double trap set. Image

This was a good decision, as the next photo will attest.
This image is the last I will post in the series, but let's just say my double trap set was a highly effective method.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:33 pm

Female Pronghorn. This is a weird one only because of where she was photographed, in the middle of a forest pretty far from the open plains where you would normally see antelope. She looks a little beat-up.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:37 am

i love animals. keep posting.

that last one, she looks like she is molting.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:22 pm

I don't know how to post videos here anymore. Last month I worked on a project setting up game cameras way back in the jungle of central Panama to track jaguars and wild felines using the area. The variety of weird creatures they are capturing on film is pretty amazing. They have 55-60 camera traps scattered between the Comarca Guna Yala and Parque Nacional Chagres. Really brutal hiking, back and forth across the continental divide through mud and rivers and stuff.

These are not my images, but it was really a cool project and fun to be a part of it. In the time I was there we only changed out 10 cameras, it's months long process. Take a look if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNR9L5i ... w&index=16

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:28 pm

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi stranger! I will take a look once I have some time.

And, thanks!
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Thank you. There are 5 known felids they are capturing in the area - Jaguar, Puma, Margay, Ocelot, Jaguarundi. There are rumors of a 6th species, called an Oncilla. I was trying to do the project work and set up my own camera in very marginal areas, far from the known sightings of the big cats. They have yet to catch the Oncilla on camera, but locals have described seeing them killed by dogs outside the regular study area. Long story short, I got no good shots on my camera.

lolasf
Former showgirl

Post by lolasf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:37 am

That jaguar in the first video! I want to hug him, if I could without getting my throat ripped out. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you must be having a pretty cool life these days.

To anyone who is thinking of watching, these are super short, like 10 seconds of animal action per video. Very neat.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:00 am

Yes, the first video made me Smile Out Loud. You have to tell us how you ended up in Panama doing this. It sounds like a fun project.

The last I seem to remember was that you fell in love with someone overseas and were trying to decide if you were going back over there. Or was that someone else?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:09 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:00 am
Yes, the first video made me Smile Out Loud. You have to tell us how you ended up in Panama doing this. It sounds like a fun project.

The last I seem to remember was that you fell in love with someone overseas and were trying to decide if you were going back over there. Or was that someone else?
I had a girlfriend in some foreign land but we broke up, the whole long distance thing and drama. Bla. Women are evil!

There are a lot of research projects needing temporary help and I occasionally seek them out. Some paid, some volunteer - this was not a paid position. So I was just trying to help them out and have fun. We spent a lot of time strategizing for grants and funding. Beautiful study area, interesting research. Panama has never particularly interested me but there are some nice areas and I would gladly go back. It was well worth it.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:10 pm

I'll try to take my camera out again soon and get some more Critter Cam photos. Feel free to post your own...

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:57 pm

This one never gets old. My berry bear. :)

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:07 pm

TR - great videos.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."