Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16431
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 pm

I have a similar situation coming up in June but kind of the reverse of the Op's situation....

I fly back from Austria to the UK and land around 11pm at Gatwick...by the time I go through passport control and recover my car and drive to Brighton for th pissup it'll be 2am so there's no way I'm paying for a hotel for such a short space on time so I plan to skip in my car until midday and then check in to the hotel thereby saving me,oh I don't know,Nifty 50 pounds.

User avatar
Homerj
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17833
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by Homerj » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 pm

leela wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 pm
Homerj wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 pm
You folks do realize that there are hotels that are actually in or part of the airport right?
Yes. And they cost like £120 a night. For one person. C'mon homer, we're not all you. I'm a retired teacher, ffs.

ETA I was wrong. The airport hotel at Bangkok is £150 a night. And I'd be getting up at 3am at the latest.
My mom is a retired teacher as well I'll have you know.
And lets not kid ourselves Leela, you can afford 120-150 pounds a night on a retired teachers pension, you just choose not to spend that much.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 30986
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by leela » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I have enough to do that, of course. But it would be madness to throw that sort of money at three or four hours sleep, given my income.

So yes it's a choice, but for someone on a limited income, it would be stupid to spend that much.
Pass the wine...

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 29327
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:23 pm

I thought of this thread yesterday b/c of a Facebook group for expat Americans in Australia.

A young woman wrote that she has an early-morning interview in Sydney this week, and lives up the coast. She was clearly angling for a place to crash, and there's nothing wrong with that, and she did get a few legit offers (from women). But oh, some of the comments. A man wrote: "Just go out the night before and meet a nice guy. :-)" Another (clueless person) : "NO way you will find anything less than $100. Just stay up all night in an 'Internet Cafe'--no one will bother you." Yeah, ok.

Another: "YWCA." The Young Women's Christian Association--does that exist, anyplace?

User avatar
Homerj
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17833
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by Homerj » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:37 pm

leela wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm
I have enough to do that, of course. But it would be madness to throw that sort of money at three or four hours sleep, given my income.

So yes it's a choice, but for someone on a limited income, it would be stupid to spend that much.
I agree but you are not of limited income, you can afford it.
We all choose what we think it is worth spending our money on....I have no problem with someone saying 120 pounds is not worth spending to get 3-4 hours sleep.
My point was it wasn't even listed as an option, when it clearly is.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3375
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by steveogolf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 pm
I have a similar situation coming up in June but kind of the reverse of the Op's situation....

I fly back from Austria to the UK and land around 11pm at Gatwick...by the time I go through passport control and recover my car and drive to Brighton for th pissup it'll be 2am so there's no way I'm paying for a hotel for such a short space on time so I plan to skip in my car until midday and then check in to the hotel thereby saving me,oh I don't know,Nifty 50 pounds.
The Nifty Fifty Pounds is enough to buy you a Nifty good amount of weed.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

User avatar
Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity
Posts: 8909
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by Electrolyte » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 pm

leela wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 pm
though more expensive than each of the three options

https://www.expedia.com/Bangkok-Hotels- ... nformation
?? When I check the rate is USD 21. If that is correct then this is an awesome option.

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 30986
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by leela » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:00 pm

Electrolyte wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 pm
leela wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:52 pm
though more expensive than each of the three options

https://www.expedia.com/Bangkok-Hotels- ... nformation
?? When I check the rate is USD 21. If that is correct then this is an awesome option.
That's for the daytime slot. ( 10am-5pm) Overnight (6pm to 9am) is twice the price.
Pass the wine...

User avatar
Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity
Posts: 8909
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:09 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by Electrolyte » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Still a great option. I guess that's why they seem to be mostly sold out.

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 30986
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by leela » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Yep. I managed to book the last overnight pod, and that was more than six weeks in advance.
Pass the wine...

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 29327
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:27 pm

Top tip: if you don't need all the hours (9 pm-6 am), put it on Airbnb to recoup the cost. Or, put it in Shared Rooms.

bundes
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7659
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by bundes » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 am

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:27 pm
Top tip: if you don't need all the hours (9 pm-6 am), put it on Airbnb to recoup the cost. Or, put it in Shared Rooms.
Wtf.

If you need to do that to 'recoup costs' I don't think you should be going on a vacation.

Top tip! Take the toilet paper from the airport home to recoup the bottle of water you bought.

Fuck some of you people are cheap and weird.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 29327
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:10 am

You are not a smart person.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 4646
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by TheRedWoman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 am

bundes wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 am
Chip_Oatley wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:27 pm
Top tip: if you don't need all the hours (9 pm-6 am), put it on Airbnb to recoup the cost. Or, put it in Shared Rooms.
Wtf.

If you need to do that to 'recoup costs' I don't think you should be going on a vacation.

Top tip! Take the toilet paper from the airport home to recoup the bottle of water you bought.

Fuck some of you people are cheap and weird.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vron: "I wouldn't crush you under my heel Seamus. The smell"

"I believe you. You seem like more of a bukake girl. :P" - SeAnusMcStool

User avatar
Homerj
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17833
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Sleeping in airports/aka the early morning flight thread

Post by Homerj » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:08 pm

bundes wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 am
Chip_Oatley wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:27 pm
Top tip: if you don't need all the hours (9 pm-6 am), put it on Airbnb to recoup the cost. Or, put it in Shared Rooms.
Wtf.

If you need to do that to 'recoup costs' I don't think you should be going on a vacation.

Top tip! Take the toilet paper from the airport home to recoup the bottle of water you bought.

Fuck some of you people are cheap and weird.
Mwuh! That's a kiss cuz we don't have a kiss emoticon.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Post Reply