Oktoberfest Trip

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:09 pm

So my wife's parents are doing Oktoberfest next year and I think we're going to join them. Neither of us have really traveled in Germany so I think we're going to extend for a shortish trip, say 10 days or so. I imagine Oktoberfest is worth a couple of days, and I was thinking the rest of the time we should probably just spend in Munich and day trips around there? We'll have our two sons, aged 3 and 1 when we go. I'd really like to go to Berlin, but I wonder if that's trying to squeeze too much in, plus I don't see Berlin appealing as much to our kids or maybe my wife.

I haven't really done any research yet, so I'd appreciate any 10 day kid/ baby friendly itinerary suggestions that include Oktoberfest.

Gogo
Stew Ingredient

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Gogo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Kids that age love loud, crowded binge drinking events.

I'd like to spend a few days here to see what it's all about.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germa ... the-world/
Look into the eyes of a chicken and you will see real stupidity. It is a kind of bottomless stupidity, a fiendish stupidity. They are the most horrifying, cannibalistic and nightmarish creatures in the world. - Werner Herzog

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:08 pm

Surely you don't think Oktoberfest is an adults only affair.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:31 pm

Possible day trips include Salzburg and Innsbruck (both in Austria).

Major excursion could be some of Munich -Passau - Regensburg -Bamberg - Nürnberg - Munich. (All in Bavaria.) I think Regensburg and Bamberg are the most attractive places on that list; but Bamberg is also the furthest away.

Don't know of anything that would particularly appeal to a three-year-old except possibly the toy museum in Nürnberg.

I have never been to Oktoberfest. My sister, who lives mostly in Munich, avoids it like the plague, but tastes differ.

Save Berlin for another time. You don't want to spend two days out of ten flying there and back.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:51 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:08 pm
Have you been there?

It's raucous. It's full of drunk people (hint: mostly not the Germans), including ass- and breast-grabbers. You may be sidestepping vomit.

Accommodation can be hard to come by. Translation: you'll be paying through the nose.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Don't know of anything that would particularly appeal to a three-year-old except possibly the toy museum in Nürnberg.
With a three year old, it's less about having to directly appeal to them and more making sure they can enjoy themselves sort of regardless. So, museums in small doses can actually be ok since they get to walk around a big space with interesting things even if they don't understand them. By contrast, a 4 hour car drive through beautiful scenery might be great for adults but kids will be bored. But a 2 hour drive and a tablet or a nap or some books might be just fine. Just walking around can be fun, particularly if you stumble on a playground or park for a while.

So I think you can plan to see a lot of the same things you would have anyway, you just have to be more time conscious. The only kid specific thing I've thought about so far is the Lego museum and Oktoberfest itself, which has rides, festival grounds, food and drink, etc. Maybe see that castle that sort of looks like the Disney castle.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:57 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:51 pm
muthafunky wrote:
Have you been there?

It's raucous. It's full of drunk people (hint: mostly not the Germans), including ass- and breast-grabbers. You may be sidestepping vomit.

Accommodation can be hard to come by. Translation: you'll be paying through the nose.
No, I haven't been there but I know people who have gone with kids and I've read about it. I am aware of the stereotypes of course, I've also read about how you can have fun with kids.

Not worried about accommodation. Or Oktoberfest either (with or without kids). But then this is the Stew, so of course this is the kind of advice one should expect.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Yes on the Salzburg/Innsbruck/Berchtesgaden loop for three days. Also, take the cable car up the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak, for lunch. It's on the road to Innsbruck. And go for a tour of the salt mine by Salzburg. It's perfect for the kid, and pretty cool for adults too.

Ulm has the highest cathedral in Yurp. It's pretty impressive. The money came from taxes, with Ulm being the head of navigation on the Danube. Merchants had to transfer goods from carts to barges there for centuries. Einstein was from there, and wondered what would happen to the clock if he approached the cathedral at the speed of light.

There is the real model for the Disneyland castle at Neuschwanstein, near Fussen on the Austrian border.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Gogo wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 pm
I'd like to spend a few days here to see what it's all about.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germa ... the-world/
Wow, never heard of it. Looks great.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:05 am

Kids are fine at Octoberfest just go during the week and early in the morning then leave when it gets loud. There are plenty of rides food to keep them happy. One will be in a backpack and the other will be in a stroller which is great for all the baby gear.

That time of year I would rent a car, make a swing thru the Black Forest, down to Reinfall, a car ferry across Lake Constance and back past Neuschwanstein Castle.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:01 am

muthafunky wrote:
My experience of Oktoberfest was very much adults only, so I'm not much help. I was a broken man after three days there.
The words that I've just spoken are the truth, I swear to God
I'm sorry if I hurt you: sometimes I'm nervous; I work so hard

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:34 am

I visit Munich and Bavaria a lot for business and occasionally for holiday.

Local people seem to like Oktoberfest well enough but I know it's difficult to get accommodation for our techs at that time, anywhere within commuting distance. Anyway you say you're not worried about accommodation. Never been there at that time myself, not a great time to do business.

There are very good value group and family tickets within Bavaria, so don't rule out the train.

Vinny is probably a better tourist guide than me.

Must-see for me is the big drilling rig at the SWM depot on Schäftlarnstraße but perhaps it won't excite you so much. Just perhaps.

https://www.erdwerk.com/en/schaftlarnstrasse

Regensburg and Salzburg are each about an hour and a half away if you get the right train. Check the weather first, it rains a lot in Salzburg.

A boat on Starnbergersee is also a nice excursion. The train stops at a few places around the lake where you can join the boat.

My wife prefers Regensburg to Munich for shopping and just walking around. Facilities as good, but more beautiful and more manageable to get around.

Oberammergau was not as tacky as expected. Worth a stop if you're going to Neuschwanstein.

As well as all the historical stuff in Salzburg, you've got interesting auto and aviation stuff at the Red Bull museum at the airport.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:53 pm

twodogs wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:05 am
Kids are fine at Octoberfest just go during the week and early in the morning then leave when it gets loud. There are plenty of rides food to keep them happy. One will be in a backpack and the other will be in a stroller which is great for all the baby gear. That time of year I would rent a car, make a swing thru the Black Forest, down to Reinfall, a car ferry across Lake Constance and back past Neuschwanstein Castle.
I hadn't thought of the Rheinfall, which is actually in Switzerland, but I think it's the kind of place children will remember. Here's a video:

I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:13 pm

Baiersbronn is about four hours from Munich.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:07 pm

NorthAmerican wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:53 pm
I hadn't thought of the Rheinfall, which is actually in Switzerland, but I think it's the kind of place children will remember. Here's a video:
We were there in October by train from Zurich. Took the boat ride across and walked back over the railroad bridge. There is an elevator down and a few steps here and there but nothing too strenuous so I would leave the stroller in the car.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:51 pm

All good but there's more than enough for a family with little kids and (albeit youngish) grandparents within Munich urban area and 90 minutes train/drive , for what? 10 days?

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:36 pm

twodogs wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:07 pm
We were there in October by train from Zurich. Took the boat ride across and walked back over the railroad bridge. There is an elevator down and a few steps here and there but nothing too strenuous so I would leave the stroller in the car.
If you are coming from Germany take the boat across, the elevator up and walk back via the railroad bridge that way there will be less climbing.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:01 am
muthafunky wrote:
My experience of Oktoberfest was very much adults only, so I'm not much help. I was a broken man after three days there.
My experience (1997) was identical.
I am Stalking you.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:00 pm
Yes on the Salzburg/Innsbruck/Berchtesgaden loop for three days. Also, take the cable car up the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak, for lunch. It's on the road to Innsbruck. And go for a tour of the salt mine by Salzburg. It's perfect for the kid, and pretty cool for adults too.

Ulm has the highest cathedral in Yurp. It's pretty impressive. The money came from taxes, with Ulm being the head of navigation on the Danube. Merchants had to transfer goods from carts to barges there for centuries. Einstein was from there, and wondered what would happen to the clock if he approached the cathedral at the speed of light.

There is the real model for the Disneyland castle at Neuschwanstein, near Fussen on the Austrian border.
All good suggestions, the wood slides down into the mines and the big disney like castle should both be hits with a 3 year old.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:14 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:51 pm
All good but there's more than enough for a family with little kids and (albeit youngish) grandparents within Munich urban area and 90 minutes train/drive , for what? 10 days?
Yes.