Kiwi's in Bali

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Kiwi's in Bali

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:54 pm

I was just reading in Stickman about Kiwi's retiring to Bali en masse, partic young-ish people (35-50).

Do any OZ or Kiwi people have any expat friends living in Bali?

What is the cultural affinity (ie. why there instead of Thailand?)?

Who here owns a Bintang Beer wife beater?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Re: Kiwi's in Bali

Post by mad hatter » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:02 pm

BeatRaven wrote:I was just reading in Stickman about Kiwi's retiring to Bali en masse, partic young-ish people (35-50).

Do any OZ or Kiwi people have any expat friends living in Bali?
++ no

What is the cultural affinity (ie. why there instead of Thailand?)?I
++ Ex Gold Coast Australia dwellers

Who here owns a Bintang Beer wife beater?I
++ Does Trump blow Putin?

Sent from my sheep-phone

Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:02 pm

What is Stickman?

I know a number of Australians who have retired to various SE Asian places, including Bali.

Bali makes a lot of sense for Western Australians, Perth-Denpasar 3h45m flying time, 9 flights a day.

Not so much East coast and Kiwis but probably one of the better third world localities to choose.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Stickman writes an entertaining column that keeps farang whoremongers up to date on all the latest important go go bar developments. He's easily the most famous Kiwi in the world.

There's also a fair bit of incisive Thai social commentary and travel advice, as you would expect, not to mention plenty of bullshit. But if you want to know which seafood restaurant to visit in Hua Hin, consult Stickman, not Mark Weins or TripAdvisor.

I've met contributor Mega from the site and strongly recco his motorcycle trips SEA travel blog. Canadian feminists may want to give it all a miss.

Stickman:

https://www.stickmanbangkok.com/weekly-column/

Mega:

http://www.megaworldasia.com

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:23 pm

It's usually loooooosers who decide to "retire" young on Bali, unless they actually execute plans to operate a legitimate business operation. Otherwise, they are just dreamers who won't be there any real length of time and/or end up in jail for any number of reasons.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:03 pm

Def recco reading Hotel K, Bali's toughest jail:

https://www.amazon.com/Hotel-Shocking-I ... el+account

There's another good self published book called something Ubud Underground that goes into how tourists get blackmailed over drugs and whores.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:12 am

steveogolf wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:23 pm
It's usually loooooosers who decide to "retire" young on Bali, unless they actually execute plans to operate a legitimate business operation. Otherwise, they are just dreamers who won't be there any real length of time and/or end up in jail for any number of reasons.
That's my biased perception too.

There were also a lot of people in FIFO type jobs like working on oil rigs or mine sites, although the oil rig service guys tended to live nearer to hub airports like KUL or BKK.

I say "were" because the last resources and oil booms ended almost simultaneously in late 2014. Some stayed on, some moved on.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:44 am

Are Oz Kiwi's Bali-ophiles? Collect the art etc.? Or is it more just about the beach?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:35 am

BeatRaven wrote:Stickman writes an entertaining column that keeps farang whoremongers up to date on all the latest important go go bar developments. He's easily the most famous Kiwi in the world.

There's also a fair bit of incisive Thai social commentary and travel advice, as you would expect, not to mention plenty of bullshit. But if you want to know which seafood restaurant to visit in Hua Hin, consult Stickman, not Mark Weins or TripAdvisor.

I've met contributor Mega from the site and strongly recco his motorcycle trips SEA travel blog. Canadian feminists may want to give it all a miss.

Stickman:

Mega:

you give me reason to laugh heartily. thankyou.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:36 am

BeatRaven wrote:Are Oz Kiwi's Bali-ophiles? Collect the art etc.? Or is it more just about the beach?
imagine jersey shore only its kiwis on the gold coast, transplanted to kuta

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:11 pm

I guess I was a little myopic. If I lived near Bali, I'd probably be learning the Gamelin or something. 'Can't ever get enough of SEA.

Likewise, most Americans are pretty much completely disinterested in Mexico/Caribe as cultures. Proximity is almost the opposite of affinity.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:08 pm

oh I liked the bits of Bali I saw that didnt invove rampant tourism, on a family Holiday with Wife and kids, dont get me wrong. If I went back alone and single I'd be doing the whole eat pray love surf thing pretty hard.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:56 am

Bali is the Antipodean Majorca.

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:29 am

Nobody does ugly women quite like the kiwis.

I was out there a while back visiting a kiwi friendand his indo wife and his sisters and her friends came over for a visit. I have never seen anything like it. Fat, ugly, belching, farting hickesses and yes they were wearing wife beaters. They really were indescribable ugly.
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:21 am

sounds like sunderland

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:49 am

Beatraven, can you link to the stickman article you mentioned? I looked at stickman for the first time but didn’t find it,
I’ve thought about retiring to Indonesia, but the recent hike in alcohol prices has put me off that country, but some of the remote islands are still very attractive, as long as I don’t get any medical issues.
It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been to Bali, but it’s still very easy to get away from the tourist areas, anyone who writes it off because of Kuta is doing themselves a disservice.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:05 pm

I don't support the notion of retiring on Bali unless it is to seriously start and engage in a business venture (part time).
I do question anyone who would make a decision of "Yes" or "No" based on the price of alcoholic beverages.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Retirement is finishing work, not taking on more risks and responsibilities.
You’re right stevo, that didn’t come across well, I was just surprised last time (nearly 2 years ago now) in Indo the beer was more expensive than in Australia.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:33 am

BeatRaven wrote:Stickman writes an entertaining column that keeps farang whoremongers up to date on all the latest important go go bar developments. He's easily the most famous Kiwi in the world.

Stickman:

Mega:

here

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:53 am

Thanks hatter, but the op is anout Kiwis retiring to Bali, and I don’t find that in those lincs.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:25 am

ah, right you are, no i think we meandered off into general chat.

i seem mattew idge and brent todd and tony veitch have moved there, no doubt we will read of their imprisonment soonish

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:37 am

Haha, league retrobates

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:36 pm

It's a mention in his most recent weekly column, not a stand alone essay. Like, 2 paragraphs.

I notice everyone is dodging the Bintang Beer wife beater question.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:34 pm

Geoffers wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:49 am
Beatraven, can you link to the stickman article you mentioned? I looked at stickman for the first time but didn’t find it,
I’ve thought about retiring to Indonesia, but the recent hike in alcohol prices has put me off that country, but some of the remote islands are still very attractive, as long as I don’t get any medical issues.
It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been to Bali, but it’s still very easy to get away from the tourist areas, anyone who writes it off because of Kuta is doing themselves a disservice.
I cannot think of a better reason to avoid a retirement local, than increasing the price of booze.
The incredibly cheap alcohol prices in AZ where a major factor in my choice to spend my "golden years" there.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Geoffers wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:40 pm
Retirement is finishing work, not taking on more risks and responsibilities.
You’re right stevo, that didn’t come across well, I was just surprised last time (nearly 2 years ago now) in Indo the beer was more expensive than in Australia.
Fair enough.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Come to think of it, I recall no roaming ethnographers or Julia Roberts sincero's peddling earnestly around in Ubud.

The nightly performance of the Monkey Dance? PLENTY of seats available, no need to reserve.

The bars on the main street? Full. I still wear my indestructible Buddha Bar shirt, now in it's 8th year.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:28 am

mad hatter wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:25 am
ah, right you are, no i think we meandered off into general chat.

i seem mattew idge and brent todd and tony veitch have moved there, no doubt we will read of their imprisonment soonish
Yeah that's a trio of quality individuals right there.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:44 pm

BeatRaven wrote:It's a mention in his most recent weekly column, not a stand alone essay. Like, 2 paragraphs.

I notice everyone is dodging the Bintang Beer wife beater question.
until recently I owned two.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:06 am

Found it, a small comment way down after the end of his 2019 article.
It’s been strange reading stickman and mega, I’ve spent years travelling in Asia but have never gone to a gogo bar or been with a prostitute. I knew they existed but I never realised that was the main reason for many guys to go there. I’m not sure if it’s more sad or creepy, probably both.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Yeah, but a whoremonger doesn't judge you back.

And while creepy is a highly, selectively, conveniently elastic term used by passive aggressives, sad is not an adjective that fits the average go-go bar patron. Au contraire.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:38 am

I didn’t say the whoremonger was sad, I meant it was sad that they thought it ok to sexually exploit the poor women. Many articles saying how dishonest the girls were that they’d lie, cheat and steal because they had a big family of lazy bastards to support. I’ve worked with guys like them, and they do judge me, they get angry for some reason when I say eg ive just spent 2 months in Thailand but didn’t go with a girl and had no idea what Nana plaza was. Maybe their anger is because they have a bit of a conscience they’ve been able to bury but what I said roused that niggle in their heads again.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:15 pm

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:16 am

A fair few Aviation guys working in png live in Bali and Thailand. The 28-28 roster is perfect for living in SEA.
But the money's no good
Just get a grip on yourself...

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:27 pm

The Reality Is This: Anyone considering "Retirement" on Bali who thinks it will be a "Paradise Life Forever" should keep in mind that it sounds great when you are young (not over 55 years old), but in your later years your wants and needs are very likely to change and you will want to be back in your home country for any number of reasons. In addition, conditions and circumstances on Bali are not guaranteed to remain the same in the future in various respects.
It's Just Something To Remember, so don't "lock yourself in" to something that will probably not be "forever."