Delta SkyMiles status

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Delta SkyMiles status

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:59 pm

I'm 4,600 MQMs from Gold for 2019. I know.

I think I'm giving up on it. Delta "offered" to raise the status from Silver to Gold for $1K. That's about what it would cost me to do an equivalent mileage run, which could be really disruptive. Obviously no great deals this time of year.

I don't know if I see a lot of benefit going from Silver to Gold, unless I'm missing something. Someone said "dedicated elite security lines"-- huh? Security? Do they mean you can get Clear for $80 instead of $180? Big whoop. So you get more frequent upgrades and no same day change fees. Still no love getting into the lounges.

What do you think?

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Re: Delta SkyMiles status

Post by cummy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:10 pm

gold gives you sky priority boarding. gold also gives you access to skyteam lounges worldwide when traveling. all depends on how your 2019 will turn out ... and whether these bennies (and others) are worth it for you.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 pm

--Gold also gives you access to skyteam lounges worldwide

Are you sure?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 pm

Are sky miles worth anything anymore? I've got close to 200K left in my account, the bulk of which I accrued before they tied them to dollars and whatever else they're doing now, but they don't have mileage charts or anything anymore.
Oneball wrote:I'll put the size of my testicles up against yours any day
TemperTantrumHandle2 wrote:Just as well you inherited your money, eh?

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:54 pm

Yeah...you have to search for the right dates. I used 40K to get to Australia.

So it seems Gold is not much better than Silver. No SkyTeam lounge access without paying. Some increase in points earned and baggage allowances and more upgrades.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 am

OK, cummy, you were more knowledgeable, obv. Gold confers SkyTeam access when traveling internationally, but not domestically, if I understand correctly.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 am

cummy wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:10 pm
gold gives you sky priority boarding. gold also gives you access to skyteam lounges worldwide when traveling. all depends on how your 2019 will turn out ... and whether these bennies (and others) are worth it for you.
Silver (KLM/Skyteam/Flying Blue) gets a free bag in Europe/Africa, which means you can book the cheapest cabin-bag-only fare and still check a bag.
It also gets me priority check-in and security line at some airports, and Petroleum Club gets me lounge access in AMS and CDG if transiting, but not if originating from there.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 am
OK, cummy, you were more knowledgeable, obv. Gold confers SkyTeam access when traveling internationally, but not domestically, if I understand correctly.
correct. with gold: you don't get lounge access domestically. you do get lounge access when flying internationally - regardless of class of service of your ticket.
Moethebartender wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 pm
Are sky miles worth anything anymore? I've got close to 200K left in my account, the bulk of which I accrued before they tied them to dollars and whatever else they're doing now, but they don't have mileage charts or anything anymore.
sky miles never expire, so that is a good thing. delta has some absolutely ridiculous redemption amounts - like "are you kidding me ridiculous"! but on the other hand delta also has some reasonable redemption amounts - esp on off days. many times i price compare between DL and UA (using miles), and i will say that DL has been winning out more than has UA. however, i never use DL miles for close-in bookings. DL increases the mileage amount the closer you get to your desired travel departure date. UA does the same, but not to the same extreme.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Hey Cummy and Chip, thanks for the responses! Much appreciated!
Oneball wrote:I'll put the size of my testicles up against yours any day
TemperTantrumHandle2 wrote:Just as well you inherited your money, eh?

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:13 pm

When you're looking for awards, search using the 5-week setting on delta.com

C, is this correct: per the chart, a T and V booking with VirginA only gets you 50% of the actual miles flown as far as your miles earned are concerned, BUT 100% of the MQM PLUS 40% for Silver Med customers?

RandomThoughts
Stew Ingredient

Post by RandomThoughts » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:35 pm

I grabbed a flight to Grand Cayman on Delta for 40,000 miles + $95. If I'd paid the actual airfare for my dates (January -March) it would have been $600-$700.

ETA - Can any Delta frequent flyer see the pay with miles option when booking a flight, or is that just Delta AMEX card holders? Asking for a friend.
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:59 pm

I read on the website that it's just the relevant AmEx cardholders. I did that to go to Iceland, $200 and some points. But you forfeit all those miles, I think.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:37 am

RandomThoughts wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:35 pm
Can any Delta frequent flyer see the pay with miles option when booking a flight, or is that just Delta AMEX card holders? Asking for a friend.
it is for everyone. miles + cash is just another means of payment. see here:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US ... miles.html

Miles + Cash is a redemption option on Award Tickets offered to all SkyMiles Members where you can pay for your flight using a combination of miles and dollars.

also.......
as delta values their miles at about 1 cent per mile, you can easily calculate whether the miles + cash option may be even worth it or not. (or if the miles only option is worth it or not too).