All US, all 2019

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

All US, all 2019

Post by flatfoot » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:13 pm

To cut a long story short, I was exiled out of the US for four months this year with no certainty of coming back, and one of the things I regretted was not going to the places on my list during the three years I’d been here. I’m back, obviously, and I’ve resolved to tick these places off the list and travel only domestically in 2019.

I have 30 days off next year, excluding public holidays. Here are the places on The Official Flatfoot Contiguous United States Travel List. Tell me which ones to prioritize and how to split the time.

1. Paria Canyon (The Wave)
2. Finger Lakes
3. Glacier National Park
4. New York to Savannah road trip
5. Austin to New Orleans road trip
6. Austin City Limits festival (happens in the fall, can be combined with #5, obvi)
7. Bonnaroo music festival (happens early summer)
8. Amtrak Zephyr train
9. Chattanooga to Kalamazoo (too long to explain why, but worthy of an OP, I promise)

That’s it, I think. Ten days of those 30 days are carryover vacation days from 2018, so I MUST use at least five days before March 31.

Let’s do this, people.

ETA: Just to be clear, I’m not expecting to go to all the places in 2019, hence the crowdsourcing for what can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by flatfoot on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Re: All US, all 2019

Post by VinnyD » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:33 pm

Do you own a car? Don't rent a car for all of New York to Savannah. Train or bus to DC (optionally Philadelphia and Baltimore). Rent a car in DC for Charleston and Savannah.

I only know 2, 4, 5, and Chattanooga, so I can't rank that list. What I know I would rank 4, 5, 2, Chattannoga. But if you go to Chattanooga, don't miss the Wrecking and Towing Museum and Hall of Fame.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:37 pm

1. Glacier National Park- It's very nice. Logan Pass road takes you well above timberline. It only opens in June, when the snow may be 10 feet deep.
2. Paria Canyon (The Wave)- The canyon itself has some technical climbing. Maybe hire a guiding outfit.
3. Finger Lakes- I was pleasantly surprised by upstate NY.
4. Chattanooga to Kalamazoo (too long to explain why, but worthy of an OP, I promise)- I love Chattanooga and am also a fan of Nashville. Mammoth Caves is the best of the rest.
5. New York to Savannah road trip- lots to see and do on the way. You could spend a month.
6. Everything else. The West is the best, btw.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:16 am

1. Paria Canyon (The Wave) Don't know
2. Finger Lakes Best time--early summer perhaps? And early fall
3. Glacier National Park Also on my list
4. New York to Savannah road trip
Big trip--I'd go Bethlehem, PA (it's hip now with Steel Stacks--and look up Musikfest), Gettysburg/Lancaster, Chadds Ford/Longwood Gardens/Kennett Square, then a bit west to the area where WVa/Va/Md meet, Richmond/Charlottesville...
5. Austin to New Orleans road trip Aside from Cajun country and plantations, meh
6. Austin City Limits festival (happens in the fall, can be combined with #5, obvi)
7. Bonnaroo music festival (happens early summer) Ick, Bonnaroo. I will never go back. FloydFest in SW Va is heaps better...or see above, Musikfest in Bethlehem
8. Amtrak Zephyr train I did this last November. Really enjoyed it. Call Amtrak to get a rep who will help you find the best fares for a sleeper--it all depends on supply and demand.
9. Chattanooga to Kalamazoo (too long to explain why, but worthy of an OP, I promise)

Have you been to Yellowstone?

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:53 am

1. Paria Canyon (The Wave) It's best to get a guide. It makes it easier to get there and to get a permit. If you are unable to get a permit, White Pocket is equally gorg and I don't think you need a permit.
Utah is amazing and a lot of its amazingness is concentrated in that area--Zion, Bryce, etc...

Please add:
1. a redwood forest to your list. They are all beautiful, but I really love Prairie Creek and Jedidiah Smith NP/Smith River
2. a hike in the Sierras and a trip to Yosemite
3. Northern (N of SF) Cal coast and/or Oregon coast

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:59 am

There are lots of places that should be added to that list if it is a list of places to see in the US, but I was assuming he has been to the missing places.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm

In case I"m wrong and he hasn't been anywhere, then do two weeks making a loop that includes most of: the Grqnd Canyon, Minument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, Zion, and Brice, and two weeks in the East Coast cities.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:05 pm

I agree with Chip about Floydfest being great, but Bonnaroo is diff music. I have talked to about a dozen Bonnaroo fans and everyone is a Bonarroo repeater for life. It's the kid's mega dream to go to Bonnaroo and trip the fuck out, but the new MAGA hat wearing boyfriend is crushing that dream.

If you're doing Savanah (which I liked, didn't love) consider going down to North Florida for one of the big swamp parks. As good as the Everglades/Bayou and much less ecologically/tourist ruined. The Gullah islands are super-missable.

Cajun Country is not essential. You can see top flight cajun music with all the food etc. in New Orleans. Lafayette has Mulattes night club, which on a weekend will have the hottest shit cajun bands and plenty of atmosphere and food. The other Cajun towns like Lake Charles are sort of places to stop for a lunch rather than being real destinations. Oh, and there's a Mulattes outlet in New Orleans too.

The drive from Memphis to New Orleans via the Natchez trace would take in all the blues, plantation houses, and shotgun shack/old white church americana that anyone would want.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:05 pm
The drive from Memphis to New Orleans via the Natchez trace would take in all the blues, plantation houses, and shotgun shack/old white church americana that anyone would want.
If you have any interest in seeing any of that stuff, Blues Travelling: The Holy Sites of Delta Blues, Third Edition is well worth the $3.00 it goes for on Amazon. I used the first edition when I went, and a lot of things had changed since it came out. Live music, especially, can be difficult to come by unless you're down there during one of the blues festivals.
Hairy wrote:spotting a utter tosspot is as easy as looking in the mirror
Oneball wrote:Well shove the warning up your arse. I won't be coming back.
Annotated wrote:By the end of Trump's first term in office, Rocket Man will have rockets no more ... one way or the other. Guaranteed.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:04 pm

Bonnaroo and FloydFest aren't really that different, musically--but as for crowds and lines and people dying? Yeah, very different. There's more bluegrass among the smaller acts at Floyd, but I went to Floyd this year, and there were bands like Foster the People to attract the young'uns. 2019 looks heavy on the jam bands; hopefully they'll add a bit more of interest. Bonnaroo IS more appealing to young druggies. Making it less appealing to a Flatfoot. I had a VIP ticket one year and the food sucked, and there was still zero shade for camping. It also takes ages to walk from one stage to another. Not a relaxing time.

People rave about DelFest, and I've been twice and enjoyed it, but it's been a mudfest each time.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:35 pm

The Natchez trace doesn't touch either New Orleans or Memphis. You could go from Memphis to Tupelo and pick it up there, take it to Natchez, and then find your way down the river to New Orleans.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Yes, it connected Natchez with Nashville. People would float food and slaves down river and walk back on the Trace. It missed the entire Delta, except on the floating downriver portion of the trip.

It's a nice drive now, and the original Trace, which parallels/intersects the modern National Park road 30 times, is a nice bike ride.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:08 pm

1. 3 days in a row for the onsite lottery.
0 for 3.
Best of luck.
2. Finger Lakes were just OK and some of the 'effin wineries didn't take the cost of the tasting off the price if you bought a bottle.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:37 pm

VinnyD wrote:Do you own a car? Don't rent a car for all of New York to Savannah. Train or bus to DC (optionally Philadelphia and Baltimore). Rent a car in DC for Charleston and Savannah.

I only know 2, 4, 5, and Chattanooga, so I can't rank that list. What I know I would rank 4, 5, 2, Chattannoga. But if you go to Chattanooga, don't miss the Wrecking and Towing Museum and Hall of Fame.
lol

"But if you go to Chattanooga, don't miss the Wrecking and Towing Museum and Hall of Fame"
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:22 pm

The only place on your short list that MUST be included is GLACIER NATIONAL PARK, but don't go until at least July 7 due to the possibility of there being too much snow (some years) for good hiking on some of the best high elevation trails, including those just off the Going To The Sun Road. Avoid the Month of August -- too crowded.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:44 am

I don't get The Wave attraction. That sandstone layer is on display over a wide area. It's only slightly less attractive in nearby areas.

Good list. I'd like to visit Savannah.

flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

Post by flatfoot » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:44 pm

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the comments, tips, and suggestions. To address some points:

What's on the list are the remaining stuff. I've already ticked off a lot of what was on the original, including Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Zion, Arches, Monument Valley, Horseshoe Bend, Devil's Tower, Mesa Verde, and Acadia. Canyonlands, too, even though it wasn't on the list; it was just an easy visit from Arches. Bryce and Yosemite were never on the list, which is weird, I know. I'll put them on after I've crossed the others out. As for cities, SF, DC, Seattle, and of course NYC are all done. For events, Sasquatch Music Festival.

I have a separate hiking list, but it's very short -- just John Muir and the Appalachian Trail. One day. One day.

Never heard of FloydFest, so I looked it up. They already have a lineup, and I know it's still early but it's not exciting me at the moment. Whereas at Bonnaroo, I can safely assume I'm going to have fun. I actually listen to a shitload of pop music which is big at Bonnaroo, so it's bound to have at least a few artists I like. The age demographic leans young (and all that implies), but if I stay at premium camping like I did at Sasquatch, I'd probably be around more sober folks.

The Wave has been very annoying. I've entered the online lottery for the last four months and no luck, so...

Questions:
1. If I plan to go to Escalante for two weeks and try my luck at the on-site lottery for The Wave, would I have a good chance of getting in? I'm thinking late March to early April. What's doable at and from Escalante on days I don't get in?
2. At Glacier, I want to be camping and hiking alone. This might sound silly, but how do I repel bears? I could google, but I trust Stew wisdom on things like this.
3. You know the site where the word CROATOAN was found on a tree? It's the one bit of US history I'd be interested in traveling for. Is that worth adding to the Savannah road trip? I'm giving this trip 11 days (i.e., two weekends, book-ended by a Friday and a Monday). Two weeks at the absolute most.
The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:02 pm

The single best way to repel bears is to travel in a group, the larger the better. Beyond that, make a lot of noise, be aware when you loose open sight lines, and keep a proper camp.
The freedom of birds is an insult to me.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:04 pm

The National Park Service is advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.

They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.

Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.

Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:30 am

Link?

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:49 am

Escalante Utah? There really isn't any direction you could go from there that the scenery and hiking would not be spectacular. You've got highlands to the north and down section through the red rocks to the south.

I remember heading south of town on a dirt track (Early Weed Bench), stopping pretty much arbitrarily, walking down into a canyon and being blown away. I can't believe I haven't been back come to think of it.

I guess I need to do some research on The Wave. It seems to be quite sought after. I must be missing something.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:46 am

Yeah. Escalante is in a canyon, Boulder is 2000 feet higher, and between them is a spectacular drive on HW 12. Best seen if you do it downhill, N to S.

Even better, although gravel, is the old road between the two. So north on the old road and south on the new, after June 1.

North of Boulder, HW 12 climbs to 9000 feet with a view of all of SE Utah and even the western San Juans of Colorado. Think 175 mile views.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!