African Museum Gets Updated -PC Gone Mad?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

African Museum Gets Updated -PC Gone Mad?

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:57 pm

https://www.thedailybeast.com/belgium-t ... ref=scroll

Has anyone been to the African Museum in the suburbs of Brussels? It's like the African Louvre. I like this kind of thing so much, I'm moving a France/Brussels trip up a few notches in my bucket list.

Paris has a great Primitive Art Museum too. And a fantastic Asian art Museum. 'Though the Islamic art one didn't have much in it.

Bangkok National Museum has more great stuff than Angor Wat, but seldom sees a visitor -and it's a 20 minute walk from Khao San Road.

Do ethnic museums figure in your travel must-do's? Which ones have you been to?

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Re: African Museum Gets Updated -PC Gone Mad?

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:08 pm

I've been to the one where the Welsh king killed his dog, because he thought it had killed his daughter while he was gone. But after he killed him, he discovered a dead wolf down the path.

I've been to more than a few museums on the American Indians. The University of Arizona has a great one, the Heard Museum in Phoenix is famous, even Cambridge has a nice anthropology museum.

The Ontario museum in Toronto was worthy of four hours. Same/same with the Australian museum in Canberra.

There are a bunch more that are worth time. The Northern Arizona museum in Flagstaff is good. There are little ones all over the western US.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:10 pm

That has been high up on my list of must visits for a while now. I wonder what specifically they changed. When they first started talking about doing this (not too long after King Leopold's Ghost came out, if I remember correctly, I'd heard they were going to change it up a bit as it pretty much whitewashed the shit done by the Belgians in the Congo, and they were going to try to rectify that. A lot of Belgian scholars are in a bit of denial about the whole thing apparently.
Oneball wrote:I'll put the size of my testicles up against yours any day
TemperTantrumHandle2 wrote:Just as well you inherited your money, eh?

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:31 pm

The Brussels one had not a single soul in it on a Saturday. And a zillion African people live in Brussels, but they could clearly give 2 shits. It's surrounded by a park with lots of BulletPark modernist statues too. There's a likewise under visited ethnic art museum in Amsterdam.

Everything gets a remake as attitude shift. In the Museum Of Natural History in NYC, they had a massed rope fetish in a gallery forever.

Turns out it is was just a bundled up fishing net. When the rehung it opened up. People still marveled at its sheer sculpture-ness. I'm def. more guilty of that kind of projection than the average net-viewer.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Lost Soul, I recall as a child that a lot of moccasin-shilling, touristic trading posts had little backrooms with a few kachina's in them pretending to be museums.

I'm surprised Santa Fe isn't on your list, since it's sort of the cultural Luang Prubang of America.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:43 pm

The Musée Guimet in Paris is also high up on my list. They've apparently got a large collection of Khmer artifacts, for obvious reasons...
Oneball wrote:I'll put the size of my testicles up against yours any day
TemperTantrumHandle2 wrote:Just as well you inherited your money, eh?

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:46 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:37 pm
Lost Soul, I recall as a child that a lot of moccasin-shilling, touristic trading posts had little backrooms with a few kachina's in them pretending to be museums.

I'm surprised Santa Fe isn't on your list, since it's sort of the cultural Luang Prubang of America.
Yeah. I forget the name of it, but Santa Fe has a decent one. Not big, though. Santa Fe was a tiny town until about 1980.

But normally, I flee through that town like a fart through my jeans. It depresses me like Prescott depresses me. Both are filled with refugees from the failed state, who are mindlessly voting to convert their new homes into appendices of the failed state. Fuck me, Shirley MacLaine.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Yeah, that's the Asian one I referenced.

Def. see it on a museum pass, since you're in and out in an hour. The museum with the huge Monet water lillies mural is close by (the Orangie, I think). You could hit both in a morning and the great, great primitive art one the Quay Branily:

http://www.quaibranly.fr/en/

Santa Fe sounds like being trapped in The Sundance Home Design Catalog. My wife's been gagging to go forever. I'm urging her to do it with her friend. Who is a 5th generation wiccan and wants to visit her power spot. Def. not a happening I want to be a third wheel at.

People who actually worship crystals fascinate me. There's a crystal store in every touristy town in England. They'll buy into Quartz, but not Jesus?

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:06 pm

It had about 5000 people for its first 400 years, and then: Boom.

It had 50,000 Liberals and some Wal-marts the last time I was there five years ago.

Best use it for a gas station and move on, in any direction.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:10 pm

As long as you're here, is Taos worth a fuck?

Like for women to go to a spa and look in some shops, and then have the two kinds of salsa glopped over a vegan burrito.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Taos has gone downhill in the last 30 years, imho. It's population exceeds its infrastructure now. Or did five years ago. Traffic jams shouldn't occur in towns of 5000. But it's still not as egregiously depressing as Telluride or Jackson. The main ski area is better than it was, with new lifts and lodging on the hill.

But it's a very nice location, and is still smallish. And there is a ski lift to the top of Kachina Peak now, from which you can see everywhere. Gary Johnson, who got 4,800,000 votes for POTUS, lives there. As does Julia Roberts. And Al's Run is still a classic show off run under the chair lift.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:37 pm

Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History had on exhibit from the 1930s until 1966 "The Races of Mankind," with racial types displayed in 30 life-size bronzes and about another 70 busts and heads. All of the works were done by the sculptor Malvina Hoffman, who was commissioned by the museum to travel the world to study the people she met and who would be the subject of her works. The exhibit remained in place until shortly after Hoffman's death, when it was dismantled and more or less hidden away. The sculptures were controversial by then, considered by many to be racist. Here's one sculpture from the original exhibit; its title, Pygmy Family:

More than 80 of the original sculptures are on display again for the first time in 50 years, but under a new title:

Looking At Ourselves: Rethinking The Sculptures Of Malvina Hoffman
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:24 am

The visitor center at Bandelier National Monument (between Santa Fe and Los Alamos) is the best Indian museum I've seen in New Mexico.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:21 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:10 pm
As long as you're here, is Taos worth a fuck?

Like for women to go to a spa and look in some shops, and then have the two kinds of salsa glopped over a vegan burrito.
The drive between Taos and SF is beautiful--you can go up one way, come down another. I didn't see much of interest in Taos except for the Pueblo, where I bought a beautiful piece of pottery.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:22 pm

I've been to the African Museum in Brussels at least a half dozen times while on contract there, winter 2011-12. Insanely un-PC, one of my favorite things of a wildly underrated city. I brought a Flemish girl there one day, and she was utterly appalled by the place.
I am Stalking you.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 pm

I remember they had victorian freak show-like pics of the big lipped ubangi tribe. The Ubangi's featured heavily in 60's trash tropicalia.

Here's a Ubangi-themed song that Elvis turned down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQ-1OG0mEQ