Sunset Limited

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Sunset Limited

Post by twodogs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:18 pm

I will be in Los Angeles this weekend and New Orleans next week so I am thinking of taking the Sunset Limited between them. Two days and nights with short stops in Tucson, El Paso, San Antonio and Houston.

Has anyone taken it recently?
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Re: Sunset Limited

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:32 am

No. My sister takes Amtrak all the time though and it can be expensive if it's just yourself and you want a Viewliner etc. But I'm guessing you're already aware of that.
It's time I started living and time to let someone else do the giving......

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:11 am

It is cheaper and more convenient to fly but I enjoy the scenery and conversations.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:20 am

Yeah, I've always wanted to try it but I would want to have at least a Viewliner. I couldn't sit in a regular seat for any length of time.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 pm

I did Chicago to New Orleans. It was an overnight and a nice not too long day on the train (8:40 PM to 3:40PM the next day). Great scenary, good train.

2 nights in a row on a train would feel onerous unless I was going to Beijing or something.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:57 pm

It's funny you mention Beijing. When I was in North Korea with Matt I wanted to take the train back to Beijing with rest of the group but I couldn't because I'm American. We had to fly out. I still don't understand why flying vs. the train would pose a security risk.

The flight back was a torture trip too. There where no direct flights to Beijing so they put us on this ancient Air Koryo plane from Pyongyang to Shenyang and we had to change airlines and continue on to Beijing with China Airlines.

I met up with Matt in Beijing a couple of days later and the train sounded so much nicer. The clickety clack sound from the train tracks lulls you to sleep.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:00 am

Finished the trip. Nice ride but the short days long nights reduced the scenery, probably better to do it in the summer although the longer nights led to nice discussions. Most of the sleeping car customers were pretty boring but the coach passengers were a blast. Mostly Californians leaving for various reasons, some "I hate to fly" types, a few Canadians on vacation and one Chinese guy doing a travel blog around the US.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:56 am

You did it in the correct season. Summer sucks, from San Bernardino to New Orleans and beyond, all the way to Boston.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:27 pm

I would have preferred longer days. It was dark when we left Los Angeles, dawned between Yuma and Maricopa, dark shortly after El Paso, dawned after San Antonio and was dark shortly after Beaumont. More daylight hours would have added more scenery but might have reduced the interaction so I guess it is a wash.

I only went as far as New Orleans but a few people were continuing on The Crescent the next day.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:33 am

I did the CA Zephyr in late November 2017, and probably missed out on some great scenery, but certainly got to enjoy a lot of it--the Sierra, riding through the CO canyon walls that can't be seen any other way...

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:36 pm

That is the most scenic Amtrak route in my opinion. Try to do it in the summer if you get a chance. The longer the days the more you get to see.