Solo travel for the first time?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Re: Solo travel for the first time?

Post by simon_in_exile » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:10 pm

I like travelling by myself - last trip was a long weekend in Croatia a few months ago.

Hope you’re ready for the COLD, Lincs - it’s currently -10 degC here in Moscow, and Tallinn can get chilly too.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:25 am

I have never not traveled because I would be going by myself; and as I have traveled a lot in the past, I was usually by myself, but not alone. Sometimes it's even a little tough to say, bye when you've been with someone, male or female, for a day or two or three. If I meet someone and travel with them, I'd prefer a female over a male; just seems more of a balance.

I have traveled a LOT with a childhood friend of mine. It did get a little frustrating sometimes where it would be like dude, we just got here (say getting off a train in some dump in the world), I don't know the place any better than you do, any chance you might take some initiative on this landing. Then it got to be, you know what, my mate never complains if I fuck up where we're going or I make some other mistake; I then figured we just have roles to play and just roll with that. We are comfortable with each other; we can be in a car/plane/train et al for a while in dead silence. No need to say anything, we know each other's story front and back, and we are comfortable with each other in that silence. As we know each other so well, we also tend to bring others into our fold; usually a solo traveler--the latter make our trip together better.

What I really hate though (kidding) is Mr. Non-Initiative when say we go towards a bar or restaurant, usually the former where he is the first to rush to the door to open it for me; thus, I enter first and he follows me to the bar where I get things started with drinks. Of course the chicks gravitate towards him cuz he's better looking, and I'm like, fuck that! :o Gawd he and his wife are so passive: do you wanna do that, I don't know, should we, we could, should we, well, I suppose we could, what do you think...

I still have no problem traveling solo (although lately, last few years, it has been with one or both of the dogs domestically) and welcome eating at a microbrewery at the bar where I invariably meet someone else traveling or local. And with the dog I usually meet heaps of people for a chat with dogs or without. It's amazing how approachable other dog-people are. If I'm traveling internationally, again, no problem traveling solo. I'm not in a hurry as much any more and am now often taking day tours to free myself of research needed to sightsee, and there's always some interesting people in a tour group for the day.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

I’ll answer my own question: — VinnyD

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Gawd he and his wife are so passive: do you wanna do that, I don't know, should we, we could, should we, well, I suppose we could, what do you think...
I’m generally quite easy-going, but this attitude makes my head explode. Ditto at work - just make a decision, doesn’t have to be the correct one!
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:55 am

simon_in_exile wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:55 pm
Gawd he and his wife are so passive: do you wanna do that, I don't know, should we, we could, should we, well, I suppose we could, what do you think...
I’m generally quite easy-going, but this attitude makes my head explode. Ditto at work - just make a decision, doesn’t have to be the correct one!
Haha, similar to me Simon. Like, what do you think? Make a decision, cuz if you don't, I will, whether right or wrong. Next!

I'll meet him tomorrow for lunch as he's in the area to "walk a job" (construction-speak); I'll see how he and da wife (where he is financing her yarn shop much to his chagrin) are doing. Don't hold your breath though; we usually have to be traveling together where I get some booze in him before I can pull any juicy nuggets out of him.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

I’ll answer my own question: — VinnyD

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:08 am

Fuck me Lincs, you always make out you're a hard core traveller, but it turns out you've always had someone holding your hand. What a pussey. Solo travel is the best, total freedom. Enjoy it. Tallinn is a good city, small and compact old walled city easy to get to know. Friendly people and plenty of English spoken. You can even take a day trip to Helsinki if you want, plenty of ferries. Enjoy yourself, not sure what it will be like in Winter, so take a jacket.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:48 am

send photos lincs
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:45 pm

Lincs, Be sure to post here if you get lucky and get yourself laid.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:47 pm

I like solo travel a lot. If I am taking photos, it's just more relaxing than worrying about someone else being bored.

If I do go way off the beaten path (or into the weird like the Salton Sea area) and out of cell phone range, I make arrangements to "check out" with someone before I am off for the day, and back "in" when I return. Sometimes it is even a front desk. That way if my car or I break down in Death Valley, there is a chance that I can be helped before death.

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:12 am

I first travelled solo when I was about 14 and did some overnight hitch-hiking jaunts.

I've usually travelled solo since then.
The pies and sausage rolls are good in Australia - Iolar

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm late to chime in; lots of good stuff has already been said.

Solo traveling is not my favorite way of traveling, but it sure beats not traveling. For me for longer trips the key is to break up the solo-ness with some built in interaction. Which can be as simple as signing up for a local walking tour (substitute cooking class/excursion/beer tasting/whatever floats your boat) or staying in a hostel for a few nights (if you're up for that).

I've found that there are big regional differences in how easy it is to connect with other tourists in hostels. In Central America I felt old and out of place at mid-30s; hostels were full of college kids on booze trips. In Eastern Europe (the former Yugoslavia part, mostly) it was much easier to meet other people, go out exploring with them or meet up for dinner, etc. I suppose Eastern Europe is not a "first time in Europe" kind of destination, so hostels draw an older/more mixed/more traveled crowd. I suspect you may see the same in Estonia. That said, this is probably more for future reference, because if you're there for just three days, you may not want to spend those days in a hostel.

Like leela, I kind of hate eating out by myself. I don't feel judged or anything, but it just feels like such a hassle when you're by yourself. So I end up buying bread and cheese and that kind of thing from grocery stores a lot and largely avoiding the restaurants.
Lincoln wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:25 pm
i don't need to share an experience with someone in order to enjoy it....at least i think i don't, i guess i'll find out in 3 weeks time
I think this is a great thing to find out about yourself!

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:32 am

I liked solo traveling in my 20s, but it was the 90s. Pre internet,pre smart phones. People talked and hooked up to travel for few days. It was fun.

In my 30s and 40s, I feel lonely alone. So I go with someone.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:15 am

When is Lincs going on this perilous journey? Is he missing in action yet? Should we notify his fellow adventurers from the 'travelers century club' or whatever it is to rescue him?
Hairy wrote:spotting a utter tosspot is as easy as looking in the mirror
Oneball wrote:Well shove the warning up your arse. I won't be coming back.
Annotated wrote:By the end of Trump's first term in office, Rocket Man will have rockets no more ... one way or the other. Guaranteed.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Lincs has previously posted that he will be leaving on his solo trip on Saturday, December 15, 2018 -- that's one week from today.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:18 pm

Next Sunday actually Steavo...I've treated myself to a airport hotel as the flight is at 6am and the airport is a 2 and half hour drive away.

I can't wait.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:18 pm
Next Sunday actually Steavo...I've treated myself to a airport hotel as the flight is at 6am and the airport is a 2 and half hour drive away.

I can't wait.
Yeah, I looked at a map and Lincoln City is in the middle of nowhee. isn't near anywhere with an international airport. Have Fun !
P.S. We won't tell your wife if you get laid.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:28 pm

:D I don't think she'd give a flying fcuk steavo

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Lincoln wrote:Next Sunday actually Steavo...I've treated myself to a airport hotel as the flight is at 6am and the airport is a 2 and half hour drive away.

I can't wait.
it is Sunday
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Only in bum-fuck land...oh and BTW would you kindly ask your compatriates to stop murdering our backpackers...she studied at Lincoln Uni you know so its all over the papers here.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:41 pm

Coppers have arrested some lowlife, bad news,

Sent from my sheep-phone

egjeg
Stew Ingredient

Post by egjeg » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:16 am

Reading, smoking, and staring out the window are good ways to pass the time as a solo traveler. Long walks, sipping tea, and napping at a park or beach are good too.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:07 am

Engaging with others, talking, offering food you’ve just cooked, being sociable, normal human traits that make travel so enjoyable, ignoring boring cunts, it’s all good. Offer a glass of wine from your bottle if you’re in a hostel common areato break the ice. It’s no hard or lonely being a solo traveler, unless you’re a cunt who everyone ignores for good reason.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Ok so first day of solo travel and I'm reporting back...its not bad at all,I'm knackered (been up since 2-ish) so I'm not at my best but to be honest it's not that different from the other city breaks I've done other than I don't have to pay for 3 meals,3 drinks etc and I don't have to endlessly walk around tackey souvenir shops just to keep the Mrs happy...I can please myself and that is refreshing as is how open other people are...I've been talking to every cunt.

I do miss having my boy here with me but again tbh if he was here now he'd be on his tablet and in his own world...I haven't done much other than walk around and take in the city....I did head back to the room after 3 hours for a kip for an hour and I was worried I'd end up crashing....that would be a failure especially as it's only 7pm..looking now for a jazz club/bar but they seem thin on the ground here.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:57 pm

Enjoy your freedom.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Awesome. Carry-on !

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:55 am

Word for the day:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peripatetic

"A philosopher who wanders around". Live it, be it.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 pm

sounds awesome, lincs. you're off to a good start. enjoy!

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:39 am

BeatRaven wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:55 am
Word for the day:

I intend to Beatraven...

In the interest of reporting back,I can honestly say the positives of solo travel do indeed outweigh the negative...it is nice to just please yourself,the main thing I've noticed is the airport experience...it's so smooth on your own...I'm at Tallinn airport now and I feel I have so much time and the whole thing is relaxing...before with kids/wife it was hectic always worrying about dragging the wife out of duty free in time to catch the flight( really,it's been close on many an occasion)...getting here too was a sinch...I took the cheapest route here(2 trams)...that's something I would never have done with all the luggage and crap that comes with family travel.

There was some sage advice from many of you above and some interesting observations too that did indeed ring true...eating/drinking alone is a piece of piss during the day but yes,you do feel a tad self conscious at night so I ended up eating at an Asian fast food type place called Wok to Walk..the crowd eating there were usually drunk/high or in a rush so it was an easy place to be.

Some of yousaid talking to younger people would be a waste of time as they view you as an old irrelevant turd...this is so true :lol: ...they don't want to know...fair enough I suppose....others are great though,travelling families are cool once they realize you're not going to kidnap their offspring.

Travelling couples are ok too but I did see one couple in a museum and the woman was busting the dudes balls for some reason...really calling him out in public...I stood and watched that science and thought 'Long live solo travel'

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:23 am

It sounds like in your marriage, you were the host and she was the guest. Hope you take a couple more of these trips to sustain you between now and the breakup. You typically see yourself in terms of how useful you are to others. Enjoying your own company is a good antidote to that.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Glad you had a good time. I alternate between trips alone and with my wife, enjoy both but prefer solo for the reasons you listed.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:39 am
BeatRaven wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:55 am
Word for the day:

.............................Some of you said talking to younger people would be a waste of time as they view you as an old irrelevant turd...this is so true :lol: ...they don't want to know.......
They are mindless idiots who aren't worth talking to anyway.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:57 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:39 am

There was some sage advice from many of you above and some interesting observations too that did indeed ring true...eating/drinking alone is a piece of piss during the day but yes,you do feel a tad self conscious at night so I ended up eating at an Asian fast food type place called Wok to Walk..the crowd eating there were
usually drunk/high or in a rush so it was an easy place to be.

Some of yousaid talking to younger people would be a waste of time
We knew you'd enjoy it.

The thing with solo drinking/dining is sussing out comfortable, you-friendly places. Obvious choice, if there is a match on, are places showing it. That also goes for local matches. You will make friends very quickly watching a local/international match in Morocco. Or the opposite, depending on who's playing and who you're supporting. I imagine you do this anyway. I generally have a couple of favourite hang out places for me, if I stay long enough, will actually stay longer in a town, because of them. Same with hostels/hotels, only book one or two nights,initially. Extend if it's going well, the people are fun, it's got a cool hanging out space. Leave if not.

Some young people can be great,and surprise you. You'll work out the ones who think you shouldn't be there and just not bother with them.

I know a lot of solo travellers join those walking tours, sign up for activities. I tend not to because I find them too friendly, but yes,occasionally.

You'll love it.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Knew you'd enjoy it Lincoln.
Have to say that you've got that friendly approachable vibe anyway, not just on here.

I agree with all the advantages you stated.

In practical terms , the worst things about being on your own:
You can't leave your place in a busy bar without somebody nicking it.
Even if you don't move, groups can crowd in about you and practically force you to move.
(Which is all okay, but the quiet bar with no hassle could be the boring sterile one you don't want to go to, and the busy one could be the one you wanted to be in.)

Can't leave your things alone in an airport unless you're in an FF lounge.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:10 am

I usually travel solo, but I'm someone who is perfectly content to go out to eat or drink alone. The one activity where I miss a partner is going to the beach. Always meet a lot of people while traveling though, so it isn't always solo - just the trip as a whole is. Thinking about it, the only way I'd take a long trip with anyone else would be a partner. Went skiing at Tahoe with a friend a few years ago, but that was an easy, low-stress trip; and we both agreed that it would be about skiing, drinking, and women.
I am Stalking you.