So what is there to do in Istanbul anyway?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

So what is there to do in Istanbul anyway?

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:16 pm

I got three to four days there, and I don't want to get bored. :lol:
Any recommendations?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Re: So what is there to do in Istanbul anyway?

Post by Moethebartender » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:23 pm

Express strong opinions about Fethullah Gulen and Jamal Khashoggi. Talk about your admiration for Saudi Arabia to as many people as you can. I don't think you'll be too bored if you take this advice.
Oneball wrote:Well shove the warning up your arse. I won't be coming back.
Annotated wrote:By the end of Trump's first term in office, Rocket Man will have rockets no more ... one way or the other. Guaranteed.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 am

Or, just strap a bunch of hash to your midriff to bring back to CA.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

I’ll answer my own question: — VinnyD

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:58 am

I didn't love it. Bad hummus, tho I took some shit here for blowing the hummus whistle. Mega-depressive vibe. Lots of lingerie shops with old style Fredericks of Hollywood foundation garments.

Please, remember that saint you call your wife.

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:45 am

Oh please

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Bunch of wise asses.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Have a serious discussion abut the Armenian genocide in a coffee shop.
DCComic's wish for 2019: 1 bullet 1 Jew

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:42 pm

why are you going there if you feel that you may get bored ? who is forcing you ?
I can not go to pieces every time Turkish president Tayyip Erdogan speaks. I would be in a constant state of collapse whenever I opened a newspaper or watch the news on Turkish TV.I am not accountable for his idiocy.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:23 pm

Wilster wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 am
Or, just strap a bunch of hash to your midriff to bring back to CA.
(1). Go to "The Pudding Shop" in Instanbul (located near The Blue Mosque on the old side of istanbul) --- it's the location of the opening scene from the film, "Midnight Express".

(2). Go to the Saudi Arabia Consulate in Istanbul, and when they ask what you want, tell them that you are there to collect Jamal's body parts.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:37 am

GayTurk_Izmir wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:42 pm
why are you going there if you feel that you may get bored ? who is forcing you ?
Just being sarcastic, GT. I am super excited about getting to spend a few days in Istanbul. I was there 30 years ago and I love that city and have always wanted to get back there. And I have the chance to do it now on an extended stop over on a flight to Africa.

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:51 am

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:37 am
GayTurk_Izmir wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:42 pm
Just being sarcastic, GT. I am super excited about getting to spend a few days in Istanbul. I was there 30 years ago and I love that city and have always wanted to get back there. And I have the chance to do it now on an extended stop over on a flight to Africa.
OK,The way you sounded was as if you did not want to go but someone was forcing you to go and you actually regretted going .That is why I was surprised.
30 years is a lot of time..I am sure that you will find a lot has changed in Istanbul both in good ways and bad ways,lots of metro lines are built so public transportation has got a little bit easier.The city got more crowded so it is much more chaotic these days ,more people on the streets.Many new museums have opened most of them private museums..do not miss them,if you want to experinence the real Turkish Istanbul get out of Sultanahmet area which is a tourist ghetto.
I can not go to pieces every time Turkish president Tayyip Erdogan speaks. I would be in a constant state of collapse whenever I opened a newspaper or watch the news on Turkish TV.I am not accountable for his idiocy.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:02 pm

Gay Turk, thanks, I probably will be staying in Sultanahmet with all the other tourists, even though I am a real traveler.

Any particular recommendations for interesting places to go outside of Sultanahmet? Any restaurant recommendations?

GayTurk_Izmir
Stew Ingredient

Post by GayTurk_Izmir » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Try the Mikla,it is the rooftop restaurant at the Pera Marmara Hotel.The hotel is not very far from the Sultanahmet area,the restaurant serves Turkish fusion food and has a killer view of Sultanahmet.
Istanbul is a sea food city, the city has more sea food restaurants than meat restaurants or Kebab places.You must try a sea food restaurant on the shores of the Bosphorus.I am sure that your hotel can book something for you,there are so many sea food restaurants to pick.You hotels may recommend you one.

veronica_inheels
Stew Ingredient

Post by veronica_inheels » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:28 am

i googled mikla, its too fancy for istanbul vibe. but i would go there for the fancy food.

i just liked regular roofs in sultanahmed.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:32 am

Go for an evening stroll along Istiklal street. They close off for cars in evening and it is packed with istanbulers out people watching etc. Packed with restaurants and shops.

I loved Istanbul. Great city.