Never stayed in a Dorm!

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Never stayed in a Dorm!

Post by Lincoln » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:28 pm

But I am considering doing it in December when I go to Estonia for a few days.... what will it be like?

I’ve always avoided dorms mainly because I’ve traveled with my wife and also in the last 15 years with our kid.

But now I’m heading out on my tod and I’m wondering what accommodation I should go for?

I’ve looked at dorms on Hostel websites and fcuk me the cost is cheap! but I’m not sure it’s for me, I love meeting travelers and listening to where they’ve been/ going etc but when I look online at the hostels the pictures are of 20 something backpackers and I think I’ll feel out of place... plus I’m not sure I want to share a room with others... what happens if I want to let rip a fart or have a wank?... or more likely what happens if I score some hot chick?.

Are dorms really for 52 year olds?

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Re: Never stayed in a Dorm!

Post by steveogolf » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:37 pm

I've been staying a hostels for years when travelling alone in the U.S.A., and they are great, especially the ones that aren't what I call "Yuppie Hostels", e.g., "Yuppie Hostels" are those designed for couples where they are set up to serve meals and want everyone there to pay for a sit down dinner. In the right setting these are OK, but I find the cook-your-own-meals and meet others in the dinning room and common areas to be preferable.
The best hostels are out-of-the-way hostels -- located outside of big cities where everyone cooks in the hostel kitchen and have a common area where you can meet and talk with other travelers. They are also great in very expensive cities such as San Francisco, New York City, Santa Monica, California, Monterey, California, and Santa Cruz (Silicon Valley), California where it can be more than $ 200 a night for the cheapest hotel in the high season (compare the hostel price of about U.S. $ 50-55 for a dorm bed in an expensive city OR as low as U.S. $ 30 in a not-so-expensive city or town). Most hostels also have private rooms that can be cheaper than a hotel, but usually not much cheaper if you are by yourself and can't share the cost with the person who is traveling with you.
The downside: (1). The fear and risk that your money will be stolen. I always take my money with me to the WC and Shower, and have it under the covers with me while I sleep. (2). Unlikely that you will have the opportunity to have sex at the hostel, but you can the next day somewhere else if you meet a willing woman (but don't tell your wife about it). (3). No wanking off in the dorm, but in the shower it is OK (if you don't leave any "evidence" behind. (4). Some hostels have restrictive hours (you can't occupy the hostel premises from about 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and there might be a lockout at midnight. Every hostel is different with these rules. (5). The big hostels can seem too big and institutionalized, but they usually offer good services, advice, information, and sometimes arrange tours as well which can make up for the size, and you will save a lot of money when they are in a big expensive city. (6). Probably no smoking WEED on the premises -- that may be a deal killer for you, Lincs.
All of this said, I prefer the Hostelling International Hostels -- where there are no surprises and the staff are competent. Other hostels may have bad reputations -- you can read reviews on-line. One I read said that many of the employees seemed stoned (Hostel in Eugene, Oregon), but you may like such a hostel.
The best hostel I've ever stayed at: "Whiskey Jack" Hostel in the Little Yoho Valley of Yoho National Park, B.C., Canada (the front porch has the famous high waterfall in view right in front of you, and there are no other hotels or lodgings are in the Little Yoho Valley. Perfect, and it is located at the trail head for the best hike in Yoho National Park.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:53 pm

Great feedback there Steavo! thanks mate....I have however, chickened out and booked an apartment-hotel in Tallinn.

I know I cant do dorm beds in a massive dorm and so I started to look at hostels with private rooms but they weren't that much cheaper than a decent hotel and i'd have to still share the toilet and showers.... I guess if I was travelling long term a la Ben then I would go for dorms so damn cheap (less than 10 dollars for a bed) but seeing as i'm only going for a few days I've opted for an apartment for 50 quid a night....I may miss out on the traveler vibe but so be it.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:03 pm

The young hate you. And rightfully so. Respect that. A lot of hostels are age restricted to chase off sad old hobo's like yourself.

If I have to take my bankroll with me when I take a shit to save $20 on the room, I'm calling that too cheap even by my mega-cheapskate standards.

Estonia has some of the most beautiful women on earth. You can't even pull in fat English poverty land.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:50 pm

I used to do dorms when I travelled solo. It was fine. Sometimes a basic private room could feel a bit soulless on my own. But now I've started to snore a bit :oops: so I don't think it's fair to inflict myself on a dorm full of people who'll hate me by morning.
Pass the wine...

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:55 am

I won't share because I snore. (Sleep test result "you're fat but it's not aopnea. But you're allergic to everything soz". Awesome).

And being a bit povo and travelling on a shitty currency means I nearly always stay in cheap hotels or hostels. At the price point I am at there is little practical difference between them. So I don't get *too* hung up on that.

If I was willing to share a room I would be able to stay in a more central location and perhaps the 9.5/10 rated place on booking.com Instead, i spend more time looking and staying in the 8/10 place that's "got good transport links or a 20 minute walk".

If you want the best location you pay. I decided location was important but a more flexible if I had practical transport options. I wanted cheaper, location, own room. My equivalent of "pick 2, you won't get 3".

^^ slight lie. I stayed in university halls of residence on my recent holiday. Definitely met all 3 requirements but it often isn't available.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:03 am

Lincoln wrote:Great feedback there Steavo! thanks mate....I have however, chickened out and booked an apartment-hotel in Tallinn.

I know I cant do dorm beds in a massive dorm and so I started to look at hostels with private rooms but they weren't that much cheaper than a decent hotel and i'd have to still share the toilet and showers.... I guess if I was travelling long term a la Ben then I would go for dorms so damn cheap (less than 10 dollars for a bed) but seeing as i'm only going for a few days I've opted for an apartment for 50 quid a night....I may miss out on the traveler vibe but so be it.
wankfest ahoy!
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:46 pm

last times i've stayed in a dorm they were all mostly in western europe, brussels , amsterdam, bristol, and london..
and bellingin here in aus.. perth too.

worst experience was in london when some drunken cunt came into the room, 12 bed dorm room, at two in the morning, and proceeded to piss into the rubbish bin next to the door, it was a long full piss after a long full nights drinking..

yeah, that was the worst.

that really put the 5am plastic bag scrunchers in elvis villa in bucharest into perspective I guess..

then there were the drug addled minds in the amsterdam dorm having night terrors, the constant sleep talking, muttering, ranting and raving, and others in the room yelling out "shut the fuck up"..'

oh one night in china too, another one for the night terrors.. thrashing about in bed like someone was trying to kill im 'e was.

basically if I can get a room for meself for under $70 I will, if a room is gunna be much more than that then I'll consider a dorm..

I'm not one for throwing money away needlessly.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:44 pm

fishface wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:55 am
..........................If you want the best location you pay. I decided location was important but a more flexible if I had practical transport options. I wanted cheaper, location, own room. My equivalent of "pick 2, you won't get 3".

^^ slight lie. I stayed in university halls of residence on my recent holiday. Definitely met all 3 requirements but it often isn't available.
Not necessarily.
The San Francisco "Fisherman's Wharf" hostel (Hostelling International) has an excellent location that is short walking distance from all of the action. I've stayed there once, and would stay there again.
Likewise, the Santa Cruz, California hostel (HI) is located at 321 Main Street, only 3 blocks from the Santa Cruz Boardwalk I've stayed there 5 times, and would stay there again.
The Santa Monica, California hostel (HI) is located just a few blocks from the beach in Santa Monica -- an excellent location. I've never stayed there but I've been inside the lobby.
The Monterey, California hostel (HI) also has an excellent location close to that city's Fisherman's Wharf.
The Lake Louise hostel (HI) at Lake Louise in BC, Canada is in a perfect location.
The Grindelwald and Zermatt hostels (HI) in Switzerland have excellent locations.
There are many other examples of hostels with great locations.

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Oh I realise that. Hostels often have wonderful locations and it's why I use them.

But my example was more about when you have to start negotiating on things. When the hostel in that wonderful location is booked, or when it's dorm only. And for me, then location starts to be my negotiating point.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:09 pm

Now Lincs can wank off in the privacy of his own room --- but don't leave any nasty stains.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:45 pm

I want my own room and my own bathroom. Doesn’t have to be upmarket in any way, but that’s my minimum requirement.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

fishface
Stew Ingredient

Post by fishface » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:11 pm

steveogolf wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:09 pm
Now Lincs can wank off in the privacy of his own room --- but don't leave any nasty stains.
It's nice when our stewbies can continue with their hobbies when travelling :)

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:28 pm
But now I’m heading out on my tod
What is your "tod"?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 pm

The downside of your own room in a hotel if you are travelling alone is that in all probability you won't meet anyone else or share any travel experiences.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:12 pm
Lincoln wrote:
What is your "tod"?
Tod Jones.
Jack’s Cousin.

Not really. Tod Jones was a merkin jockey and yankee doodle dandy.

Still rhymes though.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:34 pm

What does share travel experiences mean?

Like, sit at a bar and say I went here, I went there, or are you meeting up with people to go tour around with?

Here's a place I stayed at in Japan that maybe has some of that traveler's vibe of days long gone by ($70 a night in a small room, not a capsule):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSICjCPAudk

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:26 pm

I very often stay in dorms, usually female. I'm selective in that I always avoid party hostels and, obviously, age-restricted (no geriatrics) ones. I am aware that I'm old, and do try and read through the lines to identify the aged-friendly ones. I stay in them because I'm usually on a very low budget when travelling and I also enjoy staying in many of them. There really are some excellent hostels out there. Some shit ones too, but it isn't so hard to find those that suit you.

Oh and, I don't snore, much. I never used to snore at all but one time I woke myself up by snoring so ever since then I've started sleeping on my tummy. It worked.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:21 pm

DCComic wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 pm
northern_goddess wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
What is your "tod"?
Tod Jones.
Jack’s Cousin.

Still rhymes though.
All of this is confusing to me. It's like the joke I'm not in on.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 am

steveogolf wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 pm
The downside of your own room in a hotel if you are travelling alone is that in all probability you won't meet anyone else or share any travel experiences.
Steveo, you don't drink (alcohol), I've met heaps of people saddling up to a bar and having a drink(s) and bite to eat. Same with traveling with a dog(s); meeting many people at dog parks and dog-friendly parks. And in case of the latter, hostels aren't dog-friendly...at least in my limited experience of shopping for the same this summer.

That being written, Steveo and a retired English teacher in Japan I met in Prague last fall have piqued my interest in possibly revisiting hostel accommodation.

Back in the day, on a trip in the mid-80's traveling across the US and Canada (and on the same trip Mexico) I did stay in hostels all over which proved to be great I think in just about every setting/city/region. I don't know if they are actually hostels in the international registered since, but I did stay in hostels my first couple times in China and Vietnam. I swear, I felt completely anonymous sleeping in a big room with heaps of bunkbeds in them (Beijing in '95), Vietnam in '95, and Shanghai in '95. In the early 90's always split a room with a mate I traveled through SEA with and other people I met along the way. Met a gorgeous Swiss gal and we teamed up (met her on the ferry in Indonesia) for a few nights traveling together. I was like, okay, we get a room with two beds and she was like, "Vell, if vee need to share a bet, dat is no problem either..." :o
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:35 am

In 2006 I stayed in a hostel in London and I woke up late at night to hear two big German dudes buttfucking one another.

EMG
Stew Ingredient

Post by EMG » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:50 am

lol

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Wilster wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:23 am
steveogolf wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 pm
Steveo, you don't drink (alcohol), I've met heaps of people saddling up to a bar and having a drink(s) and bite to eat. Same with traveling with a dog(s); meeting many people at dog parks and dog-friendly parks. And in case of the latter, hostels aren't dog-friendly...at least in my limited experience of shopping for the same this summer.

That being written, Steveo and a retired English teacher in Japan I met in Prague last fall have piqued my interest in possibly revisiting hostel accommodation.

Back in the day, on a trip in the mid-80's traveling across the US and Canada (and on the same trip Mexico) I did stay in hostels all over which proved to be great I think in just about every setting/city/region. I don't know if they are actually hostels in the international registered since, but I did stay in hostels my first couple times in China and Vietnam. I swear, I felt completely anonymous sleeping in a big room with heaps of bunkbeds in them (Beijing in '95), Vietnam in '95, and Shanghai in '95. In the early 90's always split a room with a mate I traveled through SEA with and other people I met along the way. Met a gorgeous Swiss gal and we teamed up (met her on the ferry in Indonesia) for a few nights traveling together. I was like, okay, we get a room with two beds and she was like, "Vell, if vee need to share a bet, dat is no problem either..." :o

Those staying in hostels who want to indulge in alcoholic beverages will most certainly go out to bars and pubs close to city hostels, and this is very common, so that should not be an issue. And, you often meet people in hostels who will want to accompany you to do so.
As for large dorm rooms, this is often the case in large cities, but not necessarily. Many hostels have 4 to 5 bunk beds per room (accommodating 8-10 people in at least some of the rooms, and some of these rooms are co-ed). This is the case at Point Reyes, California, Point Montara, California, Pigeon Point (Pescadero, California), Santa Cruz, California, and others. The San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf Hostel had many many rooms with varying numbers of beds --- typically, the hostel charges a little bit more for dorm beds in rooms with fewer total beds; the cheapest dorms have the most beds.
All hostels are different, so it is worth looking into the issues which concern you.
All of this being said, there are circumstances where I would NOT stay in a hostel dorm -- if travelling with a wife or girlfriend I would want a private room UNLESS there is something SPECIAL about the hostel's location or amenities, or if the cost of a hotel is prohibitive. There is the fantastic Whiskey Jack Hostel in Yoho, BC, Canada that I mentioned in an earlier post, and I wouldn't hesitate a second to stay there in a dorm room whether with or without a girlfriend.
Last edited by steveogolf on Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:46 pm

cuchulainn wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:35 am
In 2006 I stayed in a hostel in London and I woke up late at night to hear two big German dudes buttfucking one another.
OMG, shocking, but definitely unusual.
I did stay at a hostel on Rhodes (Greece) with my girlfriend back in The Day where another couple was having sex at night in a coed dorm.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:28 pm

Apart from the last time I was on an offshore rig , in 2000, I've only slept in dorms with fellow band-members for overnight gigs or road trips.
Twenty years of shared cabins on rigs and boats plus the travelling years before that, plus always sharing a room with brother when growing up - I've had enough.

My kids have pretty much stopped except one son went backpacking to Australia a few years ago.

A few years he'd sworn off them after one in Munich where a group of Chinese folk would get up at 4am and start rustle rustle rustling their brittle thin plastic bags that they packed everything in. Somehow they misinterpreted his request to turn off the overhead lights and they turned it on every time they came in or out of the dorm.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:30 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:21 pm
DCComic wrote:
northern_goddess wrote:

What is your "tod"?
Tod Jones.
Jack’s Cousin.

Still rhymes though.
Tod Sloan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_Sloan ... ming_slang

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:13 am

Once I got stuck overnight for the ferry back to England on the netherlands side, It was four bunkbeds with old degenerates for 30 euros a piece. The ferry being the choice of the most intoxicated, drooling chavs in that great nation.

But the guy had moroccan resin and a liberal food ordering in policy. I ate a lot of delicious indo food glop and felt my body desolving into the sweaty bunk thankfully a bottom bonk. I also had the forsight to bring along ear plugs, which I offered to the other 3 middle aged pot losers. I we all hit the zone together and passed out within minutes of each other.

Fondly remembered, but I wouldn't rush back to do it again. But if you miss the ferry......

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:43 am

I'm trying to get the old guy into a different mindset about travel accomms; talked him into convents next are hostels. His only experiences with them are 1970 s party hostels.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:25 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:30 pm
northern_goddess wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:21 pm
DCComic wrote:

Tod Jones.
Jack’s Cousin.

Still rhymes though.
Tod Sloan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_Sloan ... ming_slang
Thanks, Glimpet. That's helpful.