Driving in Belize

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Driving in Belize

Post by ceylon_tea » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:39 pm

Has any of you driven in Belize? What's it like? Would like to hear about your experience driving to:

1. Belize city international airport to Hopkins
2. Hopkins to Bocawina National Park
3. Hopkins to Dangriga

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Re: Driving in Belize

Post by 5waldos » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:52 pm

We did about 10 years ago. Other than obnoxious speed bumps the driving was great- no problem at all. But do watch the speed bumps.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:49 pm

Yep, I have, we drove all over Belize....it was one of the highlights of our Central American trip....The roads are atrocious...fcuking potholes everywhere so you just have to drive slow.

When we were picked up from the port (We arrived by boat on the Belize Mainland) the car hire dude was full of doom and gloom about how dangerous it was to drive around belize city....we arrived at the car hire office to fill in papers and met the American owner and he was awesome....his office was more like a massive museum,he collects and displays Central American art/old stuff...we stayed ages talking to him.The highlight however way the woman that worked in the office,she was just so friendly that we remained friends (via email ) for years.

If you want details of the car hire company then PM me and i'll let you know.

Driving in Belize is a piece of piss....even though the roads are crap.

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks guys. Linc, already booked a rental car through Avis. Thanks though.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:26 pm

And something learned on LP- if you decide to fly south before picking up car, transfer from international to domestic airport,even if you have the option of flying out of the international one. Much cheaper and worth the hassle of taking a taxi between them.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:49 am

One place you should head to is Orange Town, it’s a quirky place with not a lot for tourists to see but it’s here that you’ll seethe real melting pot of Belize.. there’s Mennonites,Guatemalans, Chinese a few garifuna...there’s an excellent Chinese restaurant here, it looks like nothing from the outside ( or inside for that matter) but the food is awesome, it’s a very popular lunch spot for the Mennonites who come into the town presumably to trade and then stop off here.

Another great spot if you are mobile is the howler monkey sanctuary, they have a great visitor centre and you get to feed the monkeys in their environment.

Also on the way to Hopkins be sure to stop off and have a swim at the sink hole, it’s like an inland version of the famous Blue Hole.

You will love Belize, especially with a car!

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Lincoln where is this sink hole near hopkins? google is not helping.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:32 pm

ceylon_tea wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:44 pm
Lincoln where is this sink hole near hopkins? google is not helping.
Not sure...i'll just check my diary from the time...hopefully i wrote something about it.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Ok ive found it...its on the Hummingbird Highway...we were driving from San Ignacio to Hopkins and were told by a friendly Guesthouse owner about St Hermans Blue Hole National Park....it was very quiet and so cooling on a hot day.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:47 pm

This from the LP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Just to say...you don't have to go into the national Park itself or go hiking the Blue hole is on the main road and all you have to do is pay the parking attendant and go don the steps to the pool...it was fcuking awesome...so refreshing.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:52 pm

now thats service
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks Lincoln. You rock!

We are planning to go to Bocawina National Park for a hike. There's a nice little pool there as well. I will definitely check this one out. Thank you